Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal

Loving my new Jacks R Better quilts!

'Tis the season to splurge, and my relocation to NH made it seem like the right time to get a cold weather setup going. To that effect, I now have the long versions of the No Sniveller and The Rocky Mountain Sniveller to go with a TrekLight double.

Last night was my first full night's hang with them, and they were amazing. Technically, I was inside, but it was the solarium of my parents' home which was around 20 degrees when I went to bed. It's the perfect testing ground: almost as cold as outside, but protected from the wind and snow, all of which enables one to get things tweaked in comfort before heading out for real.

I used the 3.5 inch lofted Rocky Mountain Sniveller as the underquilt, which I connected to the ridgeline I had earlier connected to the descender rings. I found that by connecting the JRB suspension system more or less directly above the ends of the quilt I was able to get a better fit. (A picture, which will make more sense than that cumbersome description, will follow tomorrow.)

The classic No Sniveller went above me, and was so much easier to get comfy with than my sleeping bag. Any doubt I had about the joy of using quilts was dispelled in about 15 seconds.

As an ultralight hiker, I originally scorned the idea of adding the weight and bulk of an underquilt when a pad would also work. Last night's sound sleep made me change my mind about that. To be surrounded my a cocoon of down was pure bliss, and I didn't even need a supplemental pad under my butt to stay warm.

For those wondering about temperatures of sleeping: I was wearing microweight SmartWool bottoms, two pairs of SmartWool socks, a midweight SmartWool long-sleeve top, a fleece vest, and a cheapo hat. At 20 degrees, I was comfortable as can be and can imagine going lower than that without difficulty, YMMV.

I should note, also, that the Jacks were fantastic to deal with, extremely accommodating (especially given the amount of business they are doing right now), and helpful with lots of information. I'll be getting the summer quilt to complete the poncho trio, and I think my parents are now in love and will be getting one for television cuddling...

I'll take this setup outside tonight, and we'll see if I'm still this confident after dealing with blowing wind... and deer breathing on me.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Great report. I bet hanging in NH this time of year is like a hammock wonderland.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nartoff... i recently got a RMS too!!! i'm excited about how thick it is!!!
    looking forward to doing some testing of my own!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    nartoff... i recently got a RMS too!!! i'm excited about how thick it is!!!
    looking forward to doing some testing of my own!
    Is that your first JRB quilt?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Is that your first JRB quilt?
    yes it is. i've been liking the head hole idea for a while but been spending funds else where.
    i couldn't really afford to buy this one... but w/ winter being here... what's a guy to do
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    Well, last night was a failure. As it turns out, there is a noticeable difference between 20 degrees and -2 degrees. Who'd have thunk?

Also, setting up a tarp for the first time in -2 degrees and 16 inches of snow at 2:00 a.m. is also not the easiest thing to do. Really, someone should have mentioned this in the instruction manual...

Perhaps I'm a masochist, but I actually think I'd have been alright if I had just brought a small square of CCF pad for my butt, as the Jacks suggested. The next time I try will also involve setting everything up BEFORE the temperature drops that low.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Those fingers don't work so good when it's that cold do they?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    It's like a juggling act, planning the moment to take the glove off to do something that requires real fingers, and then getting right back into the glove as soon as possible.

And then, even though I knew it was to be a doomed hang, the debate raged on: stay in the hammock, where my butt and left toe were cold but the rest of me was toasty, or face the outside for 1 minute, where everything was cold but a comfy bed with a down comforter awaited? It shouldn't have been such a difficult decision, really...

But you know all about that from those cool, Florida evenings, don't you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey! Sometimes it breaks 40 degrees here....then I close the refrigerator.

Actually, most of my life was spent where blizzards are an annual event. Even got the frostbitten feet to prove it. That's why I'm trying to get my gear as simple as possible for set-up; I know my fingers will be angry otherwise. Especially seeing how I've gotten so soft living here in the tropics.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    It's like a juggling act, planning the moment to take the glove off to do something that requires real fingers, and then getting right back into the glove as soon as possible.

And then, even though I knew it was to be a doomed hang, the debate raged on: stay in the hammock, where my butt and left toe were cold but the rest of me was toasty, or face the outside for 1 minute, where everything was cold but a comfy bed with a down comforter awaited? It shouldn't have been such a difficult decision, really...

But you know all about that from those cool, Florida evenings, don't you.
    But these are the experiences whose lessons are remembered.

The pad-for-butt suggestion is a really good one. I have a sit pad for around camp, I think I'll make a covering for it so it can come inside the hammock, Just In Case.

I spent 7 years in New Hampshire, B.H. (Before Hammocking). Had a house on acreage with hanging opportunities all over the place.

wondering now why I left. Hmm.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast