Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images

Cold, Wet and Miserable

I call these Ground Hog days, where I prefer to stay buried in under the covers and am not in a hurry to greet the day (or gray overcast). So if your out on the trail and it's cold, pouring down rain and in general too miserable to hike. How do you whittal away the time? Me, I take along a paper back, cards and my hamonica (to anoy the general populous and wildlife within ear shot).

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I will be watching this thread, as it has never happened to me in 40 yrs of hiking. I have hiked on in some bad weather, but usually when I knew something nice was a day away, like a hot springs, or the car. I no longer hike in cold weather, and my destination of choice is the SW desert, so not too many day long rains there. Even in the Sierra mts, I find it is either cold and snowy, or sunshine. Sometimes a passing shower of an hour or so interrupts my day. Now that I am hammocking, I could see myself hunkering down with a fire, or a book, except I do not carry a book.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I dream about days like that. Had many in my youth, but nothing like that lately, and actually would love now to lay somewhere and be bored to death.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In my 4X4 camping days I never bothered planning around weather and never got stuck in bad weather. I think I would enjoy it now. I plan to bring my Kindle and would love the opportunity to lay back and read through the day, between naps.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    So if your out on the trail and it's cold, pouring down rain and in general too miserable to hike. How do you whittal away the time?
    Why wait for a nasty weather day...why not just decide to lollygag for the sake of lollygagging (the Shug is my HF hero there)? I see folks setting goals to cover distance for the sake of distance or physical challenge as OK but sometimes we need to simply put our minds and bodies into recharge mode. For me that is a quiet day where the time is taken to smell the flowers in many a different way. In a hammock it could involve a book, my harmonicas (good choice BTW), or maybe just sit and pay real attention to the view...between naps that is.

Sometimes I relax by breaking out the whetstone and knives for a leisurely sharpening session. Others I get out the gun cleaning kit and the mini arsenal to do a cleaning. I dunno why but it is relaxing though it probably wouldn't be in a hammock.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have been caught twice since starting to hammock on rainy cool days. Unfortunately due to timing once and prep on the part of others in the group they were both days that ended up being days we had to hike on. My preference would have been to hand tight, take a nap, sit around a fire, drink a warm drink, as LD said Lollygag the day away and hope for better weather to roll in.

Instead we ended up needing to pound out miles to get out. Last year on a 2 day hike that started on a beautiful warm October day turned to a steady drizzle overnight.

The lake on Saturday Afternoon:

Near the same spot Sunday morning:

We were only back in about 4 miles that trip, but ended up needing to put on any rain gear we had and pack up with a light but steady drizzle coming down as the sun came up. I had hoped to day hike to the second lake and do some fishing in the morning but ended up cutting that out when I woke to the lite patter of rain on my tarp. If we had not needed to be home that evening we probably would have lounged the day away or even done a little fishing in the rain.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

You can be cold wet and miserable, or you can choose to just be cold and wet.

Images
    I spent 2 days in wet and cold and had the sun come out on the 3rd day of a simple 4 day, 3 night trip. After enduring and hiking on through the first 2 days, that 3rd day was oh so enjoyable. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything!

Besides, setting my tarp up then my hammock and crawling in above the wet cold ground makes it all good! So hike on, weather be damned!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Am I the only one that sees a tattoo at the top of a backside cleavage in Joey's avatar?

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Welllllll, I didn't before, but now thanks to you, I can't get rid of it.

jason

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast