Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    I bought 2 Clarks - one for me and one for my son. I returned mine because I felt it was too small for me (6'3", 240 lbs) but my son loves his (5'11", 200). I still think the Clark is the best designed commercial hammock on the market. I just wish it was bigger and that the bug net and weather shield were fully removable.

And yes, american labor is way more expensive than the nickle-an-hour slaves used in asia. American manufacturing also has to incur the expense of safety and environmental laws. And if you rent or own a factory in the US you'll be paying property taxes to support the local school system, in addition to other taxes that support our quality of life.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I don't think the NA IS more expensive....I had the set-up listed below:

---------------------------------------------price---------weight
    Hennessy ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM----$179.95-------1lb 15oz
    ----------undercover & pad-----------------129.95-----------13oz
    ----------------------overcover--------------34.95------------6oz(?)
    ordered Snakeskins so I could use covers------19.95------------4oz(?)

------------------------------------total---$364.80-------3lbs 6oz (est)

I don't see the NA as either more expensive or heavier than a set-up that offers comparable attributes.

It is, for me, more practical...I like sticking stuff in the many, available pockets rather than leaving them on the ground, in my pack, in a plastic garbage bag...the Hennessy pad was not enough to keep me warm below freezing so I always carried my own pad...I found the undercover sagged as it was all one unit where the NA's pockets distribute weight more evenly...

I chose gear that works for me...it's nice if it's American made but not imperative for me...

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I don't think the NA IS more expensive....I had the set-up listed below:

---------------------------------------------price---------weight
    Hennessy ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM----$179.95-------1lb 15oz
    ----------undercover & pad-----------------129.95-----------13oz
    ----------------------overcover--------------34.95------------6oz(?)
    ordered Snakeskins so I could use covers------19.95------------4oz(?)

------------------------------------total---$364.80-------3lbs 6oz (est)

I don't see the NA as either more expensive or heavier than a set-up that offers comparable attributes.

It is, for me, more practical...I like sticking stuff in the many, available pockets rather than leaving them on the ground, in my pack, in a plastic garbage bag...the Hennessy pad was not enough to keep me warm below freezing so I always carried my own pad...I found the undercover sagged as it was all one unit where the NA's pockets distribute weight more evenly...

I chose gear that works for me...it's nice if it's American made but not imperative for me...

That is great how you broke it down I never gave any thought to that and to be honest when I was looking for a hammock I would not have broke it down that way I would have just bought what I thought I needed but now that you have made me look a little closer at this I am glad I bought mine all though it may not be for everyone it is good enough for me.

and I cant say it enough it's american made

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My daughter has a top of the line Clark. I certainly agree that "made in America" effects the price of the Clark but it should also be noted that the Clark is a feature rich hammock. It completely unzips on both sides, has the weather shield with zipper built in and pockets sewn to the bottom. The tarp is more sophisticated than your run of the mill diamond tarp. All of the above takes more material and time to produce. I have a Claytor and am very happy with it but if the Clark were longer I wouldn't mind having one.

Miguel

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Hang on tight and be carefull of what you ask for sometime after the first of the year they are going to have one that is longer and wider.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Hang on tight and be carefull of what you ask for sometime after the first of the year they are going to have one that is longer and wider.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for it.

Miguel

Images
    [QUOTE=One thing I've heard about, but never actually heard anyone with personal experience about, is being warm into the 20s w/o a pad or underquilt. Clark says you can use the insulation that's already there, and maybe some inflated sandwich bags, down to 20 or so. Never heard of anyone actually doing it, though. And I'm very skeptical.[/QUOTE]

I think on one of the other threads on new log temp I posted about doing just what you talked about. I was hanging in the loft of a shelter that night so the wind was limited. I used a number of inflateable ziplock bags and as I went to bed that night the Temp was 9 degrees according to the little therm. that I have strapped to my pack. I think two of the pockets were also stuffed with gear like sleeping pad and bag stuff sacks etc. The only other insulation other than the clothes that I wore that night was my inflateable sleeping pad. I woke up several times through the night but more as a result of too much to drink before bed than being cold. I was too cold to get up and take care of business and was warm so fell back asleep quickly enough until 6:00 am or so when it was go time both figuratively and littearly.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What kind of inflatable pad was it? Are you a warm sleeper?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Jeff, I'm not sure if you were asking me about which inflatable pad or not but, if so, here goes...for 5 years I used an ancient Thermarestlite but this year switched to an Exped downmat 7 short when backpacking, long when slackpacking and it's below freezing...I sleep cold cold cold....I am 5'7" and only weigh 110 soaking wet and that's when I'm feeling well...can't gain weight...chemo and radiation cured my cancer but caused some pretty bad side effects...and, I live with pneumonia more or less permanently...aspiration pneumonia...not contagious...nothing I can do about it...getting cold is a bad idea and I winter camp!

Images
    Really?? Can you tell us more - very interesting!!! Obviously I really love my Clark; that said I really love my Treklight too! :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123