WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I would love a vanagon! The pop up camper type with a kitchen and such. Have always wanted one but every one I come across was in not so great condition.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    2004 Sprinter owner here - fabricated a bed frame so we can take our mattress from home with us - lived on the road this summer for 6 weeks in it - 8800 miles....We got a smidge over 21 MPG over the whole trip..This is a long wheelbase unit...OK, now, to bring this back to hammocks....

I'm trying to see how much info I can find on how much the roof will hold....or, figure out a framing solution inside to hang from when I "adventure" on my own....

Saw a couple of posts here where setups were built for hanging in a van....It sure sounds nice to get the bed out of the way easily and gain the floor space for other things!!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    How about a roll bar type of structure (hoop) fore and aft with a single bar (backbone) running mid-line between the two. Similar to turtle lady's indoor hammock stands. This way you wouldn't lose any significant useable space and would not block any doors or access. You could clip the hammocks in when needed and easily remove for living space.
    Jason

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    We have a 2000 Honda Odyssey that has been a great vehicle--comfortable and pretty fuel-efficient. Might not be big enough for two hammockers, but a quality ride all the way around. I don't have a lot to add to this conversation, but I sure am interested in hearing what some of the HF crowd comes up with. Got a love such an opening for innovation.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    How about a roll bar type of structure (hoop) fore and aft with a single bar (backbone) running mid-line between the two. Similar to turtle lady's indoor hammock stands. This way you wouldn't lose any significant useable space and would not block any doors or access. You could clip the hammocks in when needed and easily remove for living space.
    Jason
    I can't address the Sprinter particularly, but in general, modern vehicles are designed to provide rollover protection, so the structure you envision is already in place. If you look at a bare bones commercial model, this is readily apparent.

Using my 2011 Chevy as an example, the framing for the rear cargo doors provides one arch, or roll bar...there is another behind the front driver and passenger doors, and the windshield frame provides a third. The frame for the side cargo door lends additional support. These are all tied together by a sort of "halo" at the juncture of the body sides and roof.

The Sprinter is now sold by Freightliner dealers, and is too rich for my blood, but a recent introduction by Nissan is worth a look for anyone for whom stand up headroom is important.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Christopher Trucks
    *PO Box 8677 Hwy 25 & I-85*
    Whitehorse Rd & I-85*Greenville SC 29604
    (864) 269-2131 Fax: 269-9617*(800) 327-8394****
    *[email protected]

This is info, available online, for a dealer who specializes in new & used sprinter vans. Might be worth contacting them.

Personally, I've thought about making a teardrop trail to tow behind my '97 Ford Explorer. Putting the kitchen fixings in it and having some extra storage space. Then, heading off to travel the country. I'd prob just stay at campsites and hang the hammock as often as possible, but a twin air matress fits perfectly in the back of my explorer with the seats down, so that would be my back-up.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    full size van as long as practicable. Look at the bamboo stand thread. The key is the beam that takes the load to keep the ends apart. I might trust the van floor but not the roof and walls. Short (floor to ceiling) posts should be relatively easy. If only 1 hammock I would think about driver side front to passenger side rear diagonal to leave the side cargo door as clear as possible. If I was doing a kitchen I would put it passenger side rear of the cargo door. Maybe try to set it up to swing around to in front of the cargo door for good weather outside use.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    another thing to look at is old school busses the short ones if you can find them with a diesel your set remove a few rows of seats and wala tons of room most have AC and 35-40mpg pluss more windows and sunroofs than you can shake a stick at and most come with a cool radio system. and the driver seat is really cumphy. i know if i ever make anything like what you want that is the way ill go pluss i bet you can get one cheaper than an older chevy cargo. and youll save money and get more and they are like bulletproof with a large flat floor and tons of headspace.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If your handy with a wrench andknow your way around an engine Uhaul sells their old trucks and vans for pretty cheap
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I currently have a hammock hanging in my Suburban. If I could find a sweet deal on a 4WD full size van, I'd give up the ole 'burb in a heartbeat. Up here, it's 4WD or nothing for me. Given the pressures associated with hanging, I wouldn't see why a van wouldn't hold a hammock up with minimal or no reinforcing. The only thing I did in my Suburban was swap out a stock grab handle with one I made from aluminum. I used the original mounts and original bolts. I nap in it nearly every day for lunch. It's holding up fine. It's not like you're putting any strain close to what a roll over would put on it. I think some of the calculated pressures of hanging are a little on the high side, but I've never put a force dynamometer on my hammock either. I just can't see collapsing the internal framework of a van with a hammock.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast