Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    More thoughts, for those that are serious about a van...size matters. Long and tall is attractive, until you come off the highway into an urban setting, and want to park somewhere. My standard length Chev will clear parking garages, Sonics , assorted drive throughs, etc, albeit with some puckering up. A longer van would present problems with most urban parking spaces.

Too, weight, mileage, and ride become factors. The longer body vans are 3/4 ton models, with heavier everything, larger engines, harsher rides, and lower mileage.

There are some shorter, older vans out there with short wheelbases that are about the size of a pickup with a camper shell...hanging in one of them, while probably doable, would be less than ideal.

As for 4wd, Chev offers an awd option for their van. I passed, opting instead for what they describe as a locking differential. That may have been a mistake, as performance off road is still only fair, and doesn't inspire much confidence.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The Sprinter is now sold by Freightliner dealers, and is too rich for my blood, but a recent introduction by Nissan is worth a look for anyone for whom stand up headroom is important.
    Admittedly, it is crazy how the price on these has climbed - I have two of 'em - my daily worker - and 02 mid length high roof and the 04 long wheel base described already....

When I bought the 02, it cost less than an astro...it was a no brainer purchase...

When I bought the 04, because it's longer it was naturally more expensive but there was nothing else like it available....

Those Nissan NV's are fairly pricey as well, but I will admit, should something happen to my daily worker, I'll more than likely consider one of those...

I guess I need to just take the chance and try having from the existing roof structure.....

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've been sleeping in my van nightly for the past two weeks...mother in law is post op, and I'm the night nurse. Couldn't have done it without the van. No way.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123