Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Hammock Quilt / Poncho (aka RMS Clone) by Stoikurt

I wanted to make a hammock quilt following the directions provided by Hammock Engineer (Coffee) for his Red River Gorge Quilt, but I wanted to add a head hole as in the Rocky Mountain Sniveller. I will try to follow his format but will only be describing the differences up to the point that the quilt is ready for stuffing. From that point his directions are sufficient to finish the quilt. The decision to make this kind of quilt has to be made up front and cannot be modified to a poncho style after it has been made.

Calculating Materials Needed

A poncho quilt requires 4 pieces of material rather than 2 pieces as in the Red River Gorge Quilt. In his example a 78” X 48” quilt requires 2 pieces of material 84” X 54” which allows 3” on each side for seams. For this you will need 4 pieces of material half of the length of his size + ½ of the baffle thickness + ¾”. Example: For a 3” thick quilt you’ll need 4 pieces of material (42”+1.5”+.75”) X 54” or 44 ¼” X 54”.

All other material requirements calculations for down are the same.

Construction

Step 1:
    Cut material per above dimensions and heat seal per the RRG directions.

Step 2:
    Assuming you are using 2 colors sew the different colors together along the 54” wide edge per Steps 2a & 2b to make 2 pieces of materials which I’ll call quilt halves. In Step 2A you stitch ¼” from the edge, then fold the material over at the stitch and then stitch ½” from the edge as in Step 2B.

Front Side of the Seam.

Back Side of the Seam.

Step 3:
    Open each quilt half and sew on a 16” strip of Free Magic Velcro or Omni Tape in the center of the quilt half and over the seam.

A Strip of Omni-Tape Sewn in Place for the Head Hole.

Step 4
    Lay both quilt halves together with the Omni Tape mated and the seams in line with each other. Colors should be lined over top of the same colors and pinned together. Stitch the 2 quilt halves together per the stitching diagram. The width of the 2 lines of stitching should be the same width as the baffles. Because these stitches could show a little I matched the top and bottom thread with the side I was sewing. I sewed in from the edge and did a back stitch at the point of turning and stitched to the middle of the Velcro and ended with a double back stitch.

Step 5
    Open the quilt halves up and lay the different colors against each other. You have completed the center baffle with the head hole. It should look something like the diagram below from the side with the Velcro in the center.

Baffles
    Install the remaining baffles per the RRG instructions. The baffles could actually be sewn to the same color of each quilt half before Step 4. Then after Step 5 you will have to sew the baffles to the other sides. You’ll only need 8 baffles since sewing the head hole creates a baffle. NOTE: I found and used a disappearing ink fabric marker from WalMart to mark the baffle locations. Also notice the lay of the baffles.

Finishing
    Edge seam, stuff and finish the quilt per the RRG instructions.

Pictures of the Finished Quilt

The Stuffed Quilt - Silver Side.

The Stuffed Quilt - Olive Side.

Quilt as a Poncho - Silver Side.

Quilt as a Poncho - Olive Side.

Of Course I Had to Make a Hood.

Quilt in Jacket Mode

I didn't want to have to borrow the bungee cords used to hang the hammock to wrap around the quilt to hold it tight to me when used as a jacket. So I decided to add some bungee loops with toggles on each side of the quilt. My first thought was to be able to put the bungee loops in the same location as the side tie outs for the HH (which is lined up with the third baffle seam from the ends). I tried that but it was too close to the center of the quilt and was very restrictive because it pulled the quilt tight too close up under my arm pits. I moved the bungee cords and toggles down to the second baffle from the end and it was much more comfortable.

I Hand Stitched on Some Bungee Cord with Toggles to Each Side to Make it More of a Jacket Instead of Just a Poncho.

First put the quilt on, then take the toggle and bungee from the front sides and wrap around you and attach behind your back. Then attach the back sides around you to the front. If you have the front side wrapped around on the outside it will restrict your arm movement. This makes it very comfortable and quick to put on.

Quilt in Jacket Mode - Front View.

Quilt in Jacket Mode - Back View.

Quilt in Jacket Mode - Close Up View.

The End - at least for now.
    Last edited by stoikurt; 06-23-2008 at 21:08. Reason: To correct the rough dimensions of the 4 pieces. Thanks to Dutch for catching it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I've always found the task of putting in baffles baffling. But you've made it clear, thanks. Clear explanations.

Then there are the horror stories about stuffing the down in, a thimble-full at a time

I don't think I'm still up to taking on a quilt just yet, but I envy you all who can.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Good directions Sto.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Then there are the horror stories about stuffing the down in, a thimble-full at a time

Grizz
    See last posting on "stuffing the goose". I figured out a way to make it close to painless a handful at a time. The painful part was sewing all those baffles.

I found a package of mulicolored tailor's chalk at Hancock fabrics, $8.95. This REALLY was a GREAT help for the baffles. The package comes with a holder like a mechanical pencil, and many sticks of white and several sticks of other colors. Mark lines for each baffle, and you can then see the line through the no-see-um as you sew. I was able to do all of mine without having to pin anything.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I didn't pin any of the baffles. I sewed about 3" at a time because that's how much apron is on the front of my machine. I would fold the no-seeum and lay it on my line and hold it down with my finger as I sewed up to my finger.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    ... sewed about 3" at a time
    Whew - 3" at a time? Taking it slow and easy... but... fewer mistakes that way!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Completed Hammock Quilt / Poncho

I have updated the tutorial with several pictures and additional comments of the completed quilt. I'm very pleased with how the project turned out.

I'll get to test it out next week in North Georgia.

A note on stuffing the down: My scale was not big enough to put the box of down and subtract weight. So I weighed a gallon ziploc bag and zeroed out the scale. Then I grabbed a couple handfuls of down and stuffed in the ziploc bag until I reached the desired weight. Then shove the bag inside the baffle chamber and work to open it and turn it inside out while inside the baffle chamber.
    Stoikurt

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i like it, i like it!!! good job!
    now i've got to give something like that a try.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

awesome work,looks great to me stoik neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Stoikurt,

The pics are awesome! You've outdone yourself here!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice job stoikurt! That thing looks toasty and it even looks like it matches your crocks!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast