MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

Hammock is the way

Quote Originally Posted by sam4msu View Post
    I have car camped for quite a while and am taking the step into backpacking. I am in the process of deciding on a tent and ran across this site. My question is weather or not I can go with only a hammock and no tent at all. I was/am looking at a tarptent double rainbow which is about the same price and weight as the speer hammock. I just need some convincing that a hammock is the way to go for all of my 3 season backpacking plans.
    Sam,
    I have the double rainbow and it is great as far as (tarp) tents go, super light, super easy and quick to set up (lots of condensation if you have to close it all the way (cold wx)). As a Scout Leader I know it will be my first choice it in large camporee/jamboree type open field campouts, but otherwise, I will be hanging.

Im a newbie too, but as a lot of folks will attest, it does not take long to get spoiled. You found the right place for convincing, the experts here are very helpful,
    ok, back to lurking.....enjoy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the site, coyboy! Thanks for offering to help out a newbie...hopefully y'all can meet up soon.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Welcome to the site, coyboy! Thanks for offering to help out a newbie...hopefully y'all can meet up soon.
    This is the magic of this site. Hammock Forums is not just a site with info on hammocking, it is a site that truely helps each other. This was brought up in a thread recently and I for one am happy that this site is here AND that we all can play together without fighting.

BTW Merry Christmas or (to be PC) Happy Holidays to all.

Images
    Last summer my son moved to Maine and took with him the gear we shared. This gave me the opportunity to re-gear. The first thing I did was to buy a new Double Rainbow Tarptent. I used it a time or two and really liked it. On a whim, I ordered a Hennessy Hammock. I have not fully experienced life in the hammock, but, so far, it's been a real hoot. And I have not spent another night in the tent since. And I don't plan to, unless I fall off of the hammock learning curve. If you've read much in this forum, you surely realize that there is more to hanging than meets the eye. But that's part of the fun. It's worth every penny even if you decide to go back to the ground...which I doubt you will. Good luck. DTE

Man...This forum is AWSOME...I can't thank you all enough for the advice and the offers of help. YOU ALL ARE THE GREATEST!!!

Fanatic...Man I really wish I could make it, it sounds awsome. As you can tell from my username I am a Mississippi State University fan and I will be in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl. Thanks so much for the invite.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hey coy boy... good to hear from you. don't be a stranger now<g>
    for those that don't know, coy boy has been a long time contributor on ed speer's hammockcamping yahoo group.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Fanatic...Man I really wish I could make it, it sounds awsome. As you can tell from my username I am a Mississippi State University fan and I will be in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl. Thanks so much for the invite.
    I'll be gone tomorrow (headed back to Grant) caint get away fast enough to suit me. Me and big cities just dont get along. I did go by bass pro shop yesterdaay while waiting on my daughters ear surgery. I may have to take the offer back now that you have admitted what I suspected...

Coy Boy
    PS Roll Tide!!!
    PSS got you PM. I'll get back with you on a time when I get turned around and we can match sceduales.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just need some convincing that a hammock is the way to go for all of my 3 season backpacking plans.
    Nah, you just need confirmation; you were convinced when you registered for this site.

I was leery too, but quickly discovered it can be done with at least as much comfort as tenting. There may be a trade-off with regards to cost if you're not the crafty type, but worth every single penny IMHO.

Welcome to the forum, but I gotta side with coyboy on this one:

Quote Originally Posted by coyboy View Post
    Roll Tide!!!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I have car camped for quite a while and am taking the step into backpacking. I am in the process of deciding on a tent and ran across this site. My question is weather or not I can go with only a hammock and no tent at all. I was/am looking at a tarptent double rainbow which is about the same price and weight as the speer hammock. I just need some convincing that a hammock is the way to go for all of my 3 season backpacking plans.
    My first night backpacking with a hammock would have been a disaster if we had tents instead because we hiked in at night and got caught in a bad down pour. But when we reached the campsite we were able to sleep nice and warm and dry up off the ground in our hammocks, which we position on trees that had rasied rocks under them so we could keep our gear away from the water draining over the ground and under our hammocks.

The next day as we were breaking camp two other hikers arrived at the campsite (you can only camp at the very few designated primative campsites in the high peaks wilderness area of the Adirondacks) and struggled with setting up their tent on the only flat area which was throughly soaked from the night before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast