I just completed my first IX UQ. It consists of 4 layers of IX and an outer layer of 1.9 ripstop. I could have saved a couple oz and used 1.1 but I had the camo 1.9 already and it matches my DIY hammock that I really made this UQ for. Constructionwise, it is loosely based on sclittlefield's sticky thread instructions but with a few key differences. First, I built for a finished size of 66" long x 47" wide. Also I made not only the width differentially wider for each layer, I also made the length differentially longer with each layer to force separation between the IX layers. Also instead of making the darts increasingly larger I made more darts and kept them all to 2" wide. My thought was that by spreading the darts out over the entire length and width the curvature of the UQ would more closely match my hammock. Whether or not that is the case I don't know, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Each layer was darted on the length and width as follows:
1st layer (closest to hammock): 68" long - 1 ea 2" dart = 66"
1st Layer: 49" wide - 1 ea 2" dart = 47"
2nd Layer: 70" long - 2 ea 2" darts = 66"
2nd Layer: 51" wide - 2 ea 2" darts = 47"
3rd Layer: 72" long - 3 ea 2" darts = 66"
3rd Layer: 53" wide - 3 ea 2" darts = 47"
4th Layer: 74" long - 4 ea 2" darts = 66"
4th Layer: 55" wide - 4 ea 2" darts = 47"
Another difference in my UQ is that I did not use grossgrain for the channels. I figure since I am using a 1.9 oz rs shell I made the length and width 5" wider than the 4th layer and the heavier rs could also serve to make the channels. This let me roll hem the edges and then wrap the cover around all four edges of the IX leaving a 1" wide channel on all four sides.
Suspension: I thought I would need the triangle suspension supports (I even made them to use) but found the fit and comfort best without them so I ultimately did not use them. I have shock cord in all four channels. The ends have cord locks in the center to allow adjustment and or to vent in warmer weather. The sides have cord locks at the head end so I can fine tune the seal if needed while in the hammock. I also added grossgrain suspension loops at each corner. I then took shock cord and tied through the suspension loop and through a loop in the shock cord that runs down the length. This main line then connects in the same fashion to the opposite corner and the resulting loop is hung from the gathered end knot of the hammock. My original suspension plan was much more complicated but didn't work as well and weighed more. The result is a very adjustable suspension with very little fuss...
Total weight with suspension is 24.7 oz.
I have not tested other than an hour or so in the yard today but am hopeful that it will take me to the mid 20s without supplemental pads, etc...
Due to the increased length I don't think I will need a pad under my feet so my sit pad can be saved for a cold spot etc...
Here are some pictures (some of the pictures show biners at the suspension and the triangles but those were scrapped in the end...):