Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

First Overnight Hang

I picked up a Hennessey Ultralight Explorer from their demo/clearance sale this fall and a used JRB Nest from QiWiz a couple of weeks ago. I've had two or three trial hangs in the backyard to practice setting it up but those have been short. With the overnight forecast at a balmy 56 degrees and a 15 mph wind out of the south, I took advantage and spent my first overnight in the backyard "woods". Thanks to feedback on this forum, I experimented with ridgeline tension and just how much to raise my feet above my head. The second or third adjustment really helped with reducing the pressure on my left calf. I also got much more proficient at moving around within the hammock to get my sleeping bag situated. I was pleasantly surprised with just how warm I stayed with the JRB Nest. I ended up sleeping bareback with the bag open most of the night.

One question - is it normal in a HH to have my left shoulder almost peaking out above the nylon/netting seam and the right side having a 12-16" vertical wall of nylon? I tried moving more to the center but then felt like I was either leaning or very tippy.

I'm looking forward to 4 hangs that I have planned for this spring and early summer and getting better at setting up the hammock to maximize comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    GT UL, Multiple DIY
    Tarp
    I like DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Oh goodie, I'm first!

Welcome to HF....you're gonna learn a lot here!

-jeff

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yardman228 View Post

One question - is it normal in a HH to have my left shoulder almost peaking out above the nylon/netting seam and the right side having a 12-16" vertical wall of nylon? I tried moving more to the center but then felt like I was either leaning or very tippy.
    Welcome yardman, Your hammock kit is looking good.

As to your question. I think when laying asym it is typical for your left shoulder to be on the edge and a you will notice a wall of fabric on your right. You should not feel like you are going to fall out though.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Welcome yardman!

I can sleep in my HH explorer dlx either "left" or "right" handed, and I seem co be able to scoot my butt and back sideways to even out the fabric.

Try experimenting with how tightly you have the hammock pitched. I once used way too tight a pitch, but now use the "30 degree from horizontal" rule I picked up here on HF and I now lie flatter and it may contribute to the evenness of teh fabric distribution.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    ditto what Jsaults said..... Im not gonna tell you how long I was hanging and didnt realize the ridgeline was such a factor......but that ws because I didnt find hammock forums back then. sometimes i would get a grat nigh sleep other times my knees killed me.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for feedback on the ridgeline. I'll continue to experiment with the 30 degree guideline.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, typical to be right there at the edge of the hammock and netting on the left side, but of course you do want to make sure that you are completely on the hammock fabric only. I very much enjoy side sleeping on my left side and being able to look out. It all felt a little strange to me at first, too, like I wasn't doing something right.

Also, did you use a knee pillow? I find that with a pad I'm fine without, but with an UQ I really need a knee pillow, whether I'm on my back or side.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    In an HH style hammock my left shoulder is almost to the netting just to the head eand past the tie out point. This creates the "wall" of fabric to the right side you describe. At the same time my feet are near the edge of the netting just past the foot end of the tie-out on the opposite side. What you describe sounds normal to me.

I agree the 30* pitch helps increase sag in the hammock which helps me get a flat lie. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Also, did you use a knee pillow? I find that with a pad I'm fine without, but with an UQ I really need a knee pillow, whether I'm on my back or side.
    I made a makeshift knee pillow from my clothes which made a noticeable difference. I definitely plan to make a stuff sack knee pillow in my next hang.

• + New Posts