WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I made a side-entry bugnet/sock. It's organza top with 1oz ww ripstop (not DWR) on the bottom. Works fairly well, but will be obsolete soon as I have a JerryHammock planned for my next DIY project...

In a no-wind situation, it makes a noticeable difference on temps. I had planned on making an add-on overcover, like Grizz's KISS cover for it to make it more winter-friendly... for now I just safety-pin on a piece of fabric.

You can see the zipper opening on the side. The ends are velcro sealed.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Funny you should say that. I also like socks in very cold weather; but I for some reason always fell LESS secure in one. When I hear something go "bump in the night," I love the ability to quickly pop my head up and see what's goin' on. Funny how people have such different responses to the same situation. Keeps life interesting!
    I'm thinking about adding a small 12" zipper to the non-zippered side of mine so I have easy visibility in all directions.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    So, do any of the socks have the ability to be put on and taken off the hammock at will without undoing the suspension? Think of a jacket that, when completely unzipped, is now one separate piece and only joined by a zipper or velcro? If I'm talking crazy, let me know.

Syb

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was one of the design constraints I put on my zippered models. Not hard to do if the zipper is long enough.

In the end, I didn't want to shell out the bucks for a custom zipper of that length, in the small size I wanted. You can get large sleeping bag zippers for about $20 that are 110", which would be long enough if you basically ran it across the top...but I don't like that design.

I got my zippers attached to a fleece blanket for $15 or so, so I went with them and compromised on being able to remove it completely. Now, I can remove it from the hammock enough to stuff it into the Blackbishop Bag when I don't need it...and that's good enough for me on the trail.

Have a look at my newest sock design...all you'd have to do is get a longer zipper and extend it to the end.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25938
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    So, do any of the socks have the ability to be put on and taken off the hammock at will without undoing the suspension? Think of a jacket that, when completely unzipped, is now one separate piece and only joined by a zipper or velcro? If I'm talking crazy, let me know.

Syb
    Check out the Grizz KISS. It's an overcover, but looks like it gives pretty good coverage and is easy to put on the hammock.
    KJ

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Here is a cutting diagram and pattern for a BugSock using 54" wide material. It is essentialy the same pattern you'd use with a WinterSock.

A 60" to 64" wide material would give you a little more "wiggle room".
    can you help me understand this? i'm not seeing how the two pictures relate. i see 115+32.5+32.5 so i'm thinking the length on the plan view is 180" or so. on the side view is only shows 115,

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Now, I can remove it from the hammock enough to stuff it into the Blackbishop Bag when I don't need it...and that's good enough for me on the trail.
    That might be enough for me too although I'm curious as to how a combination of zipper and velcro might work...

Syb

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    can you help me understand this? i'm not seeing how the two pictures relate. i see 115+32.5+32.5 so i'm thinking the length on the plan view is 180" or so. on the side view is only shows 115,
    Sure. The plan uses 5yds of material 54" wide.
    1. Cut one piece 115" x 54". This will be the main body of the sock.
    2. Cut 2 more pieces 32.5" x 54".
    3. Sew the 2 smaller pieces together to make a 32.5" x 108" piece. This will form the bottom of the sock.
    3. Sew the bottom to the main body to form a tube 115" long and approx 41" wide when layed out flat. Your fabric should now look very close to the second diagram.
    4. Layout curve on one end and angle the other end so that the top edge is approx 10" longer than the bottom edge.
    5. Sew together along curved end and add a drawstring chammel to the angled end.

Note - 54" wide bug netting, yields a BugSock that's doesn't give you much extra room. A winter sock should be a little bigger to allow for an UQ. Adjust the measurments for wider fabric.

This tutorial may also help explain it.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=21153&page=2

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a small 12" zipper to the non-zippered side of mine so I have easy visibility in all directions.
    Now that's a great idea! Its probably my background, but I always get a little anxious when I hear things in the night but can't check it out without digging through multiple layers of fabric (and giving away my position while doing so!)

I'm somewhat-less-than-patiently waiting for Just Jeff to post the design details on his latest hammock-sock design before I build a truly proper one. I just might incorporate this "observation portal" into it.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    mighty kind Randy. i may just have to draw up some plans for this one. whats your opinion about using a sil or PU coated fabric for the bottom and a noncoated breathable or semi breathable fabric for the top?

i was also thinking along the lines fo syb about using the zipper door method but having the zipper meet to velcro closures that would allow me to detach from the hammock. i was also going to add draw cords at the end in the event i would like to add a little air to come in.

i was thinking about putting some IX on the bottome portion of the body, just a one layer. i only plan to use the sock in 20F or below.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast