Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Oregon hang-2011

I know this has been discussed in the past so lets do it! It looks like we've got quite a few Oregon hangers now. Maybe we could use this thread as a kind of a role call. I see we've got a bunch from NorCal and Southern Washington too. I'm tired of seeing all those right coast guys have all the fun! I hung here at home alot, but backpacking got put on the back burner. I'm fixing that this year. I'm in Medford, where are the rest of you all at?
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I'm up in Eugene. I have to say that by far the most accommodating place for hammocks is Lake George at the base of mt. Washington. It's a 5 mile hike from the Dee write observatory (Spelling sucks, sorry). From the "other" side it's about 8 miles but you don't have to cross the lava fields. Here is a link to my page with some basic photos of the area. http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnsHik...geLake8212009#

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm in Bellingham, WA, but I have family in Portland I visit all the time, so I'd be there if the timing is right.

I'm in Eugene. I vote for an Oregon hang also. No shortage of tree-filled sites to choose from.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I'm in Mt. Angel, which is about 15 mins NE of Salem. I vote for somewhere in Oregon and next to a body of water. Depending on what time of year we want to plan for, I have a couple suggestions. I have absolutely nothing for Winter camping, just got my hammock a week ago. I don't plan to camp in the cold till next Winter because of funds.

Hammock
    NANO 7
    Tarp
    4 season pole mod
    Insulation
    DIY down U.Q./T.Q.
    Suspension
    whoopiesdutchhooks
    Images
    Let's do this. I vote paradise park mt. Hood. In the early summer its amazing. There's a "camp sites" its a pretty decent hike in at about 6 or 8 ish miles can't remember exactly but where ever I vote for a summer hang. The camp sites have a year round stream right next to it

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    I'm from southern Washington and would definitely be interested to hang in north to central Oregon
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    NANO 7
    Tarp
    4 season pole mod
    Insulation
    DIY down U.Q./T.Q.
    Suspension
    whoopiesdutchhooks
    Images
    so im new to this game how do we plan something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Just hang it View Post
    so im new to this game how do we plan something like this
    I think we just have to agree on a site and a date. The site should preferably be someplace that someone has been before and knows to be suitable for hammocking at around the chosen date.

If the site is something of an unknown, then perhaps the nearest member could scout it out ahead of time.

I think we'd all prefer to camp near moving water, and I would personally prefer something in the backcountry near a motorcycle friendly route and parking (long dirt roads ending in gravel pullouts can be a real downer). In Oregon, NW Forest Passes, Snopark, or other passes/permits may (unfortunately) be required at some sites.

I've camped at many places east of Eugene and found that pretty much all were suitable to hammocking--the hanging is better in the mountians where there is less underbrush.

As to the date... Spring is going to be very wet. The winter hasn't been too bad thus far, and with temps in the mid 30's, all one needs is a tarp, a quilt or sleeping bag, and a $5 blue pad.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I'm up in Eugene. I have to say that by far the most accommodating place for hammocks is Lake George at the base of mt. Washington. It's a 5 mile hike from the Dee write observatory (Spelling sucks, sorry). From the "other" side it's about 8 miles but you don't have to cross the lava fields. Here is a link to my page with some basic photos of the area. http://picasaweb.google.com/JohnsHik...geLake8212009#
    Sounds good to me but are there enough trees for say 10-15 hangers? I know there are plenty of trees near the Deschutes River just below the Wickiup Reservoir **** there.

Jackleberry, I think every good spot I know of is a long gravel road with a gravel pull-out. Even to get the trailhead it's all gravel in most areas so maybe you should suggest an area that's good for you and we'll decide if we like it or not? It's going to be hard to accomodate everybody but we'll definitely do our best.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast