WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    I understand the darts (that's what seamstresses call them) to get rid of the outer panel's extra baffle width.
    When you sewed the baffle ends seam,( across the top and bottom) It looks like there would be a triangle of baffle material (noseeum netting) that is extra because of the difference between top and bottom panel length. Did you trim it or what??
    I recently posted about my DIY winter quilt and the way I handled this was to just fold the extra baffle material out of the way. So if you look at the top and bottom of my quilt the baffle stitch goes all the way to the end seam and seals the chamber. My baffles were the length of the quilt plus the baffle height.

Shevy77

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Regarding the 2" of differential between the widths of the outer vs. inner layer on my quilt design.

The height of the baffles is 2". The way I make my inner layer, it hugs the hammock. So, all of the 2" height on the edges of the quilt must come from the outer layer. But, that extra 2" at each corner must be dealt with when it comes time to sew it all up.

I hopes this helps clear up some of the confusion.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Then, I mark two lines 2” apart, at each end of the foot & head (but inside the side edge seam allowances) and pinch & sew those together to account for the extra 2” of 'outer' material for the quilt height. Now, the edge length of the 'inner' and 'outer' fabric is exactly the same at the head & foot of the quilt. Look at the 3rd picture below for the picture of the finished product.

The 'outer' fabric edge is 4” longer than the 'next to hammock' edge, also, due to the extra 2” at each end for the quilt height. I mark two lines 2” apart, at each end of the foot & head (but inside the head & foot seam allowances) and pinch & sew those together to account for the extra 2” of 'outer' material for the quilt height. Now, the edge length of the 'inner' and 'outer' fabric is exactly the same at the two side edges of the quilt.
    How many pleats total did you use, and where are they placed (center of each the head and foot ends , the corners etc) ?

If I understand correctly, there are a total of 8 pleats. 2 in each corner (inside the seam allowance) running at a right angle to each other. Is this correct?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Sharp looking hammock, UQ & Tarp setup!
    Ditto !! Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    - It looks relatively painless.
    ... simple can be difficult to achieve ... I know my first few passes on a machine weren't to pretty .. and SilNylon is some slippery stuff ... way different from cotton ... I haven't tried Cuben Fiber yet...

Once again Mad ... Nice Work ... Let's hope you don't need it anytime soon
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    How many pleats total did you use, and where are they placed (center of each the head and foot ends , the corners etc) ?

If I understand correctly, there are a total of 8 pleats. 2 in each corner (inside the seam allowance) running at a right angle to each other. Is this correct?
    There is one pleat in each of the 8 baffle chambers to make up for the 3/4" difference between the inner and outer chamber widths. Then there is one pleat in each corner to account for the additional 2" (in excess of the 3/4") in the two outside chambers. The 2" is the baffle height which is included in the width of the outside baffle material in each of those end chambers.

Now I'm confused!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There is one pleat in each of the 8 baffle chambers to make up for the 3/4" difference between the inner and outer chamber widths.
    These I understand - 3/4" darts to account for the extra dimension of the outer differential in each chamber.
    Then there is one pleat in each corner to account for the additional 2" (in excess of the 3/4") in the two outside chambers. The 2" is the baffle height which is included in the width of the outside baffle material in each of those end chambers.
    And this pleat would take up the extra 2" width of the outside baffle height for each side.

But isn't there still an extra 2" length on the head and foot end for the chamber height? If so, how did you handle that? That's where I thought there would be another pleat run at a right angle to the 1st ones in each corner, to reduce the length 2" on the head and foot end corners to make the shells match up.
    Now I'm confused!
    Hah! Welcome to my world

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'll starting my UQ after tday most likely, and have decide to do a 45 or 40"x66"parallelogram, maybe, dimensions may change a little.

But I have a question about the suspension. How do keep you cord lock off center on the head and foot end and use it to adjust tension?
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    OK, I finally got a chance to set up my hammock with this seriously winter quilt today .... weather conditions were sunny and 77 degrees!
    Beautiful quilt. Just a few questions if you have the time to answer 'em. What would you rate this quilt to roughly? Also, what sort of mods would you make to make it a 3 season or a summer quilt? Would just adjusting the amount of down fill used be satisfactory? or would you need to adjust the baffle heights as well. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Great writeup...
    Thanks for the pointers for down

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast