Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Rather than lashing it together there are a few simple options that would be quicker. If you have access to a cordless drill (ok a corded drill will work to but not as cool) just run a few drywall screws through the cross section and it will not move. Ok if you dont like that idea try drilling holes through above and below the pipe (offset to the side a bit) and put a nut and bolt through with a couple of washers. Simple. Just a thought. Hope it inspires better ideas.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Do you think a pole like a TV antenna pole would work? Would it be lighter? One advantage would be that it comes in sections with the coupler already built in on one end.
    I think it would work, but I'm not an engineer… I have no idea how to figure out the stresses involved, or what a certain material can take. Looking at the tubing that some comercial lawn/patio furniture is made from, I'd guess that the steel pipe I'm using is overkill. I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

I think most of the force acting on the pipe is pushing inwards from the ends, which would mean (if I'm correct) that a much lighter weight tube could be used. Any lateral force may cause I to fail though, like trying to adjust your position by grabbing the tube and lifting yourself up.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Simple, functional and inexpensive. My idea of a portable hammock stand. Thanks for sharing your design.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    omg I want one!!! I have a hammock stand in my bedroom, but it takes up almost the entire room and there's no way I can set up my bed under it. I'm going to take your design to a friend of mine and have him build me one (and it only being about 50 bucks is nothing but a bonus!)
    Debi

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dbl black
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    new river kaq
    Suspension
    whoopies
    a few simple lap joints on the 2x4's would interlock them also, good idea.....

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Exclamation Update. . .

I just spent my first full night hanging from the stand. This brings me up to maybe 10 or 12 total hours of use. I've got a couple of minor (so far) problems developing. . . a couple that I anticipated and one that I didn't.

First, the ones that I did anticipate. . . I got the tee fittings for the end of the pipe as I had talked about, but I hadn't had the time to fiddle with putting them on and adding the lashing, and I decided on a whim to go out to sleep in the hammock last night. At about 4 am, I was woke up thinking I'd felt or heard something slip. When I got up to go to the bathroom I gave everything a once-over and saw this. . .

The legs at the foot end had slid inward on the pipe about a foot or so. I decided to go ahead and leave it as is and crawled back into the hammock and slept for another 4 hours or so without any further movement.

Next up, the legs at both ends are not quite vertical any more. You can see it a bit at the foot end in the first pic, and here's one of the head end. . .

This actually seems to help somewhat with the end-to-end stability, and I may let it go for a while and see if it's something that keeps getting worse, or if it eventually settles into position and stays put.

Lastly, my ridge pole seems to be starting to bow just a little bit. . . I think it's partially if not mostly due to the twisting force that the legs are applying since they're not vertical now. I didn't get a pic of the ridge pole because I didn't notice it till I was already uploading the first two pics. I'll try to get a shot of it later or tomorrow.

I've got some more ideas for joining the legs to the pipe that I may experiment with this weekend. I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Rather than lashing it together there are a few simple options that would be quicker. If you have access to a cordless drill (ok a corded drill will work to but not as cool) just run a few drywall screws through the cross section and it will not move. Ok if you dont like that idea try drilling holes through above and below the pipe (offset to the side a bit) and put a nut and bolt through with a couple of washers. Simple. Just a thought. Hope it inspires better ideas.
    I've been mulling this over. . . I think I actually kind of like that there's some degree of adjustment available in the angle of the legs. If I do decide that I want to lock them into one particular angle, I like the nut and bolt idea. I want to keep it easily collapsible and portable.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap

Quick Fix?

Could you maybe fire a hole through the pole on the inside of the legs and insert an eye bolt? That way you could use that as your hang point and it would act as a stop for the legs.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Beauty in simplicity..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    I like this design more than others that I have seen. Like it or not, a hammock WILL fail on you at some point and I hate the thought of falling on the foundation of a stand.

That is exactly why I made the one below way back when. Obviously not very portable though, and my wife never liked the looks of it in the yard. So after a couple of years, I tore it down. I got a vario stand, which I have hung from more than any thing else over these 3+ years. But, I am back to having that dang steel bar under me, and I do not like that. I try to ignore it. I will not be able to ignore it if I ever fall on it. And it is kind of heavy when taking it to camp grounds and such.

Hence, I am in the process of making another wood stand along the lines of the one in this thread. I've got the lumbar, I just have to get my "round to it" repaired. Any day now.

I had planned on using just one 2x4 upright. But I have used an "X" like this system before( but without center top pole, just ropes/webbing from "X" to trees), so I might just do that. Either way, the top bar is a must, I am a big believer in that. My old stand never flexed one iota over 2 years use.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-05-2011 at 11:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast