Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    A tighter fit between wood and steel would solve most, if not all of this.

That said, that big honkin' hole through the middle of the 2x4s makes me a little hinky.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    A tighter fit between wood and steel would solve most, if not all of this.

That said, that big honkin' hole through the middle of the 2x4s makes me a little hinky.
    I agree on the tighter fit. I think I'll try the next smaller bit for my next stand, or for a new set of legs for this one, whichever comes first. I may have to use a mallet or something to assemble/disassemble it, but I think it would be worth it.

As to you're second point. . . So far the holes through the 2x4s seem to be the least of my worries. I'm definitely keeping an eye on them though and watching for any signs of cracking or anything.

"A little hinky", huh? I love words and language and stuff. That's a new one to me. Is it something that's common where you are in Oklahoma, or a family expression, or what?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salamander42 View Post
    I agree on the tighter fit. I think I'll try the next smaller bit for my next stand, or for a new set of legs for this one, whichever comes first. I may have to use a mallet or something to assemble/disassemble it, but I think it would be worth it.

As to you're second point. . . So far the holes through the 2x4s seem to be the least of my worries. I'm definitely keeping an eye on them though and watching for any signs of cracking or anything.
    I didn't put the holes all the way through on that stand I posted about. I made a hole maybe 1" deep, maybe a bit less, can't remember. That was with a single 2x4 upright. It never gave me any problems. The hole diameter was just barely large enough enough to fit the fence post in and remove without problems. I also had a wood screw that came in from the side into the bar without really penetrating the metal. It was enough that I couldn't easily get the bar back out without loosening the screw.

That top bar took all of the load. After 2 years out in the elements, that untreated wood was getting really questionable. But it still never flexed when I got in.

I wanted my top bar longer than 10 feet. So my 1st attempt( Risk hammock stand ) had a joint allowing for a 4 foot extender. One day I got in and the bar bent at the joint! Nearly dumped me. When I made the second stand, I added a shorter section of fence post upright, which was just big enough to fit over the other bar and the joint. From then on, it was absolutely bomb proof.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

"A little hinky", huh? I love words and language and stuff. That's a new one to me. Is it something that's common where you are in Oklahoma, or a family expression, or what?
    <grin> Word geek, huh? Come on in, the coffee's on. Dunno 'bout hinky...been hearing it all of my life, it seems...got a couple of Google hits on it, though.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB, Leighlo FLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

Sawhorse brackets

Wow cool idea. I had seen some heavy duty saw horse brackets at home depot the other day and thought hammock stand. but wasn't surehow it would work. basically you would need 4- eight foot 2x4's and a 10' or so 2x4 or 2x6 and make it the same as this one. but then I do like the rabbit ear stand so i made one of those.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    My question is about the pole length. 10' just doesn't seem long enough, is it? I thought you wanted that 30 deg angle for the best lay. If you already have a 10' hammock (give or take a little) you need more spacing. The stand I made for in the yard (will have to get pics tomarrow), the top is about 14' apart. The rabbit ear stand I made, I think was about 12' and seemed to close.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    According to the Hammock Hang Calculator it will work.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Just looking at your pics and there seems to be nothing preventing lateral movement.
    ie: if you lay lie in the hammock and there is movement/swing from <=head to toe=>.
    The pole being through the timbers would be some benefit, but I would personally want some cross bracind, or a tie out from each end to a solid object/stake-out.

Just an observation mind you ( My father-in-law does call me OVERKILL BILL ! )
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq &amp; tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    My question is about the pole length. 10' just doesn't seem long enough, is it? I thought you wanted that 30 deg angle for the best lay. If you already have a 10' hammock (give or take a little) you need more spacing. The stand I made for in the yard (will have to get pics tomarrow), the top is about 14' apart. The rabbit ear stand I made, I think was about 12' and seemed to close.
    For the hammocks I have at the moment, it's plenty of space. I didn't write down the exact measurements, but my HH Expedition and Grand Trunk Ultralight both measured about 9 or 9.5 feet (give or take a bit) from end to end (that would be the ridgeline length on the HH and the overall length on the GT). Give 'em some slack to get the right hang, and they fit fine. My girlfriend's Clark is even shorter, and worked out very well. If I get or make a longer hammock at some point, I should be able to get couplers and add short sections of pipe on to both ends to make the ridge pole long enough. I haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with it recently, but I plan to get out and tweak it a bit and hang from it this weekend.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq &amp; tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny View Post
    Just looking at your pics and there seems to be nothing preventing lateral movement.
    ie: if you lay lie in the hammock and there is movement/swing from <=head to toe=>.
    The pole being through the timbers would be some benefit, but I would personally want some cross bracind, or a tie out from each end to a solid object/stake-out.

Just an observation mind you ( My father-in-law does call me OVERKILL BILL ! )
    From the 3rd post in the thread. . .

It's surprisingly stable. . . That was my one major worry with the design. It does sway a little bit end to end, and I'll probably have to do something about that eventually. If nothing else, a guy line off of each end should keep it from being a problem. Side to side, the way the hammock swings, it's rock solid.
    I haven't added the guy lines yet, but I'm on it. I'm planning to get out to work on it and hang form it some this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast