HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Trekking poles with tarps

I know this is General Hammock Talk, but I couldn't really think of anywhere else better for this. I scored a set of REI UL carbon fiber Trekking Poles this morning at their scratch and dent sale. Normal price was $130, and I got them for $20 because the customer returned them complaining that the adjusters wouldn't tighten on them. I pulled them apart and fooled around with them for about 10 minutes, and now they work perfectly. I've never used trekking poles while hiking before, and got them mostly for hammock set up on the ground if I have to, or for making my tarp into a porch. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on uses for them with a hammock, things you can do with them, etc. It's a new world for me, I guess we'll see how I like them.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    believe it or not, I use mine to hike with. I've become spoilt...

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I bought the REI Carbon Peaks the same way (REI's garage sale) a couple years ago. If you are hiking on less than groomed trails or carrying a load downhill, I find them invaluable. Learn to adjust the wrist straps to transfer part of the load to your wrist and forearm in order to lessen "grip fatigue" They will really take part of the load off your legs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    If you value your knees and maybe even lower back you will use them hiking too. I also use mine, extended all the way, to make the front porch on my Kelty 12x12. Have the removable rubber tips (for park sidewalk and pavement workouts) that work well for locking the Leki Makalus to the tarp.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I've been using them for over 10 years, wouldn't be without them. Now that I am hammocking, I plan to use them in conjunction with my tarp, but I would still bring them even if they only had the one use for hiking.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Great for clearing spriders webs on the trail, balancing across a creek, moving snakes off the trail, camera platform
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    I almost always hike with trekking poles nowadays. And I almost always use them on one side of the tarp to make a porch. In the pic below I was only using one as it was raining on and off. Tip - when using them on a porch, have one pole shorter than the other so that the tarp not only slopes downward, but down on one side as well. This helps prevent pooling on the tarp.

Images
    I Like Pacer Poles.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I won't hike in mountains without trekking poles. BTW, I have the same ones you picked up. You must take them apart after every trip and clean the fittings and adjust and fiddle with them as they seem to get out of internal alignment over time. But if you do that, they will serve you well. My wife also has the same pair, only the shorter version. They are actually Komperdell's C3 poles.

When I hike on flat terrain, I don't bring them. But, that leaves me searching for innovative options to deploy a porch, which sometimes includes giving up

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the responses. Of course I plan on using them for hiking. I meant what other things can they be used for. When used as a tarp support, is it better to put them tip up or handle up? Just tie a clove hitch to it, and then stake to the ground? I pulled them completely apart in the store and that's how I got the friction locks to work, twisted them out until they would barely go back in, and now they work fine. Playing around with them, I really like how stable they are. I'm sure my knees and ankles will thank me. The whole reason I'm trying to lighten my load is because my knees are so bad. I couldn't pass these up at the price.
    Visualize whirled peas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast