DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bike camper View Post
    Response to comment from Knotty

The ridgeline was taut - even retightened the 2nd night to make sure. The hammock is the Ultralight Backpacker (for those 6 ft. or under). I am 5' 10 1/2". I had thought that the 6 ft. length would be plenty long but I am thinking I might be happier with a longer length. Does the footbox on the Blackbird make a big difference?
    Best I can tell, what makes the difference with the Blackbird really isn't the footbox, as it doesn't affect the lay of the hammock, it's the size. Same with the Explorer.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bike camp usually either week long trips of around 600 miles or weekend trips of 200 miles. We camp sometimes in campgrounds and sometimes we ask permission to camp on personal property or at churches.

I am curious about the 30 degree angle of the hammock ropes. Does this allow what hammock campers refer to as a flat lay for a 185# person in a HH ULBP?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Best I can tell, what makes the difference with the Blackbird really isn't the footbox, as it doesn't affect the lay of the hammock, it's the size. Same with the Explorer.
    How long is the Blackbird? Are they all the same? I know the HH Explorer is 7 ft.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    What I can see from the pic is a very level hammock, for me I find that I like my legs to be a little higher than my head! Also with my HH I found that there was some initial stretch to the material, after a couple uses (overnights) I didn't notice it anymore! I also hang my hammock with just a little slop in the ridgeline, so not taut, but able to twist it without issue with my thumb and pointer finger and I find that it makes for a comfortable nights sleep!
    Keep practicing and allow the material to do it's thing, set-it up slightly different each time and find the one that works for you! Then if at the end you can't find a comfortable lay, then a different hammock (size/design) might be in order!
    Do you sleep on your side or back? What is your weight and height?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    were you sleeping straight out, or curled? I find curled puts my knees up on the sidewall a bit and the feet down from where they would rest if I stretched out straight, hardly ever get a pressure point except around the ankles..just 'cause they are bony, I think.
    KM(who is shivering indoors today, not much incentive for going out..)
    I ended up sleeping on my back, surprisingly well. I would still like to be able to try sleeping on my side. When I tried sleeping on my side, my legs were parallel to the ground which felt like there wasn't enough room. If understand you, you are saying that your legs point up possibly at a 45 degree angle.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Looks good. Your tarp looks like it may be able to be a little more taut. Maybe its just my eyes. Love the idea of using the swingset.

Do you sleep on your side or back? What is your weight and height?
    Both actually, I'm a toss and turner! 175lb 5'9"
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

How long is the Blackbird? Are they all the same? I know the HH Explorer is 7 ft.
    Taken directly from the site 65”x120” raw dimensions! Yes they all are the same length, the only difference is weight of fabric, color or fabric, and 2nd layer!

The HH are all different and very confusing, each model is a different length and width, with the exception being the Hyperlite and ULBP which according to the specs listed on the HH site are the same dimensions, possibly a couple others but there are like 11 different models, so the best I could say is go to the HH site and look up the specs for details on the specific model!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

I am curious about the 30 degree angle of the hammock ropes. Does this allow what hammock campers refer to as a flat lay for a 185# person in a HH ULBP?
    The 30* angle was talked about as many, many people were having a whole lot of trouble hanging their hammock, and most were hanging it waaaaayyyy to tight, or waaaayyyyyy too loose! So thats where the 30* angle came in as the "Hammock Elders" (haha that sounds funny) went into a lengthy discussion of math and such and found that when you hang the hammock at around the 30* angle it allows the user to attain more comfort and better lay while in the hammock! No this is all relative to also the distance apart your selected tree's are!
    See this post for more information on the 30* angle:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=degree+angle

Also if you do a search and put in 30 degree angle you will get a awful lot to read!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Very cool! And awesome way to spend time with your son.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12