Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I've never used a pad, so this is strictly from my mind. I would think that a pad would be colder on the sides. My Potomac comes up above me. Then my top blanket tucks in beside me. So there is full coverage all around, even when I move around. Unless a pad is so wide that it comes up the side of the hammock, I figured you would get cold on the sides when you move around, or if the top blanket gets shifted some.
    True - I meant for the areas of coverage. If you did a wing pad, or got a wider pad, you could still be under the weight of an underquilt for comparable useful coverage at a given temp. Even a SPE with wing pads would be lighter in most cases.

But even so...I've had bad experiences with CCF pads. Other folks are just fine with it...just a matter of what fits your style, your body, your budget, etc.

I'm about to give it another go, actually - I just made a two-layer hammock for the Mrs. so she can put CCF in between. Figured I'd start her out with the easiest/cheapest way and see if she can handle the pads. If she has condensation problems like I do, we'll switch her to the PeaPod. And if I can get her to a winter campout, maybe it'll be a PeaPod AND a CCF in the two-layer hammock!

Plenty of down around here if it doesn't work...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    ENO single--sofar
    Tarp
    JBR 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    1/2 inch foam pad
    Suspension
    ENO Slap Strap
    Images
    I'm new to hammocking, but have a lot of miles backpacking in the Missourt Ozarks. There have been a lot of places I couldn't camp because of the terrain, and a hammock set-up will solve that problem. But, when trying out new gear, the back yard is the best place to start. I have only one tree in my yard, so I built a reciever hitch adapter for my truck so when I want to practice with my new hammock camping gear. Already had to bail once, I was trying out the tarp set-up when the rain I was expecting had more wind than the weatherman predicted. We learn by doing. And the backyard set up is a good place to do, to learn, and to dry off while comtemplating what not to do next time.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Um, for me, I spend most nights in my hammock, the nights I'm not at work that is. So I'm in the hammock about 120 nights a year. I have been in it on trips about 30 nights, so 1/4 or so of my time in hammock is on trail. A nice thing about spending so much time on the hammock, when I am on the trail, I sleep in my own bed. Yep, on the trail, I sleep in the same bed I sleep in at HOME!

I do have: several tarps, overquilts, pads, etc. Don't carry all that crap when I hike tho. Summer: over quilt, underquilt, hammock, tarp. Winter: add truckers windscreen. That is all. The rest is letover from testing, that I just can't part with.

I actually carry less than when I used to tent. Still have the tent, will never use it again, or it's accessories, but I still have them. Dosn't mean I carry it just cause I have it. I have a mini van, don't carry that hiking either.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    True - I meant for the areas of coverage. If you did a wing pad, or got a wider pad, you could still be under the weight of an underquilt for comparable useful coverage at a given temp. Even a SPE with wing pads would be lighter in most cases.
    I forgot about the SPE, and didn't know it existed when I started. When I started hammocking I went straight to an underquilt. The weight is worth it. Even when I slept on the ground, synthetic insulation creates a more comfortable cozy warmth than pads for me.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    It was a valid thread started by neo... second guessing the motive but for me it was taken as a prod in the backside to get out on the trails. I sleep full time in my hammock now so back yard, hammock stand or on the trails makes little difference, its all good. My back yard or field is as good as any park, and as I am the park warden here.... hammocks are welcome. The weather here has been going from wet snow to rain back to wet snow, real hard to hang in weather. The weight of the snow on the trees breaks of branches and would make for a bombs away kind of nite. Spring is on the way.... trails are still going to be there then.....
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    my newest 3/4 length uq weighs 16oz, i carry a 1/8" x 60" ccf too that weighs 3 oz for a total of 19 oz. the ccf i double and stick under my legs, i took this down to 13* one night and was cold. on several occasions, it was in the upper teens all night and i was pretty comfortable. when it got really cold, i unfolded the ccf to full length to supplement my torso, i slept warm all night, 12* at bedtime, 9* when i got up, i could have gone lower.

i can go pretty low with nothing under my hips/back, and if i need to i can supplement with a really thin ccf i'm already carrying, all that for less weight than my ba air core plus, which is only rated to 20*.

Images
    I don't know I guess I might try the quilt thing if it ever gets to the point hwre the basics don't keep me warm. When I was looking into the whole idea of going to the trees rather than a tarp/tent one of the big things was the idea of having to carry a quilt and all these pads and other stuff. that is one of the reasons that I went with the Clark NA version in that I can just stuff the pockets and it does the same job as a quilt. The weight situation is about the same. I tend to carry too much crap with me anyway so one less thing is a blessing for everyone who is waiting on me to hit the trail in the am's. So far this has been good down to 9 degree's.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    1. why do most hammockers here on hammock forums spend more time hammocking in thier back yard. than they do on trips like kayaking,hiking,
    cycling or any other outdoor activity.

2. why do most hammocker on hammock forums carry way more gear than they did when were on the ground,

lots of people post they need 3 quilts, a pad and all kinds of cloths to camp in the 30's or 20's

i still believe simple gets it done

1 pad
    1 quilt
    i double bottom hammock neo

1. I work 5 days a week; hard to hike and still be showered and shaved for work the next day when the closest trail head is an hour's drive. I do hike at least every other weekend. But, gear MUST be tested.

Besides, it's fun to sleep in the yard!

2. I've dropped a ton of weight from my ground sleeping days! Of course to be fair, it had been more than a decade since that time when I decided to start hiking again.

2 quilts (top/bottom) one pad; somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 oz. Goes on the scale in two weeks AFTER spending a week outdoors in the snowy hills of Colorado. That way I'll get a REAL weight (i.e. after moisture absorption and such) not the out of the box weight.

And for the record, pads suck!
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

you are right

Neo,

I do not get out to hike enough.

I do carry too much weight, both in my pack and on my body.

I do waste too much time on the 'puter.

I am hoping the No Net will change all this.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    1. I work 5 days a week; hard to hike and still be showered and shaved for work the next day when the closest trail head is an hour's drive. I do hike at least every other weekend. But, gear MUST be tested.

Besides, it's fun to sleep in the yard!

2. I've dropped a ton of weight from my ground sleeping days! Of course to be fair, it had been more than a decade since that time when I decided to start hiking again.

2 quilts (top/bottom) one pad; somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 oz. Goes on the scale in two weeks AFTER spending a week outdoors in the snowy hills of Colorado. That way I'll get a REAL weight (i.e. after moisture absorption and such) not the out of the box weight.

And for the record, pads suck!
    Second the pads suck comment.... but then I'm a back sweater....

FTR, my base weight for summer are routinely in the 8-9 pound range (can get below 7 lbs, but I love taking waldies, and a couple of other extra comfort items).... three season base is 10-11 lbs easy.... and winter, prepared for single digits to zero, even with three quilts is 13 pounds and a three day trip, incl food, water and fuel travels in an 1800 cu in GG Miniposa.

Can't weight for the winter Hang at Mt Rogers.... maybe we sould bring a scale and weigh everyone in on arrival....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast