Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Mt Rogers summit hike 01/20/11

I figured I'd start a new thread for those planning on getting to the Mt Rogers / Grayson Highlands Hangout & want to do a few miles with some "wilderness" camping thrown in.

My plan, & this does not need to be a group hike or hang, it's just what I want to do:
    Park at the hikers parking lot on the campground road & hike N from parking lot on (Blue Blazed) Rhododendron Trail
    Straight at 4way following Rhododendron Trail
    L onto AT
    Head N, crossing Four other trails within next 400 ft.; follow white blazes, leaving time to take in views to S
    Pass thickets of Catawba Rhododendron; head W on Appalachian Trail, away from Crest Trail and Pine Mountain Trail to NE
    Past Thomas Knob Shelter (water behind in fenced area, privy a few yards S on AT on right)
    R @ T onto Mt. Rogers spur trail; gentle 300 ft. climb to summit
    Mt. Rogers (5,729 ft.) VA’s densely wooded high point.

I have been to the turn of & the shelter, but didn't have the oomph to hike any further that day, in fact, getting water later was a grand effort on my part. Note that there is no views from atop Mt Rogers, but there are plenty along the way.

The "Plan" for me anyway is to arrive at the ranger's station around 10:00 AM & pay my respects & say "Thanks!!!!!!!!" then go back to the parking lot & hike in. I am going to take my time hiking up, as last time through there I was doing my 3rd 16+ mile day in a row & I did hurry quite a bit so missed a lot of killer views & I regret that. Also only took about 3 pictures so want to fix that also.

According to the guide I have it's 7.2 miles RT, so 3.6 miles in. I'm looking to take 4 hrs to hike in, maybe longer if I find a good place or 3 to sit.

So, there it is. Join me or don't. The shelter is HUGE with a 2nd floor if that is what you want to do. There are some nice hanging sites at Rhododendron gap & surrounding if that is all you want to do. The hike in is all up hill, but I remember it being a moderate climb (I was descending at the time I hiked it last) with views that make the effort well worth it!

If hiking to Mt Rogers by a different route, post that here also.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thinkin' about it...might have to pulk that, though, so hope it snows. I'm going to pack everything up and see how much room I have--may be able to do without the pulk.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Thinkin' about it...might have to pulk that, though, so hope it snows. I'm going to pack everything up and see how much room I have--may be able to do without the pulk.
    Cool!
    I know I can get to 17 without needing the pulk so That is my plan. Likely leavin the pulk at home this trip. I may not be insulated enough to stand around the campfire that night, but I'll sleep OK.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is what I'm thinking, too. Just enough to get by--only hope I guess right! I'll be doing a "test fit" this afternoon.

Still planning on riding with or following you down, BTW. Just not sure what I'm up to once I get there. I really don't want to miss it, though, so I'll most likely accompany you guys.

Really looking forward to that weekend....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    FYI:

This is NOT an official get together! It’s just for those of us who can get there early & want to do a few miles & an over night trip in the “Piny woods” at elevation. Also this is not a great place to test your winter gear for the first time, (almost 4 miles from the cars) so IF you are doing that, please bring more than you think you will need. Plus: a few chemical hot packs can make a world of difference in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Doc, looks like we may arrive later on Thursday to make the hike. Jim is also coming with new 4-season gear that he will not have had a chance to test out prior to the hang so we may heed your advice and not test the issue on the summit. However, we may try to meet you Friday along the trail. We are also discussing making the hike to Wise Shelter should the sun rise later than expected . Looks like we will be playing it by ear. . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't forget... it can be down right blustery up on those ridges, w/ few places to find relief
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Don't forget... it can be down right blustery up on those ridges, w/ few places to find relief
    Worth sayin twice!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    9 days to go. Looks like there is snow on the ground, at least at the ranger station. Temp around noon(ish) is 28.1, wind 0.0 mph WSW (so no wind chill right now ) The weather thingy says it's not snowing, but it really looks cloudy, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast