Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt-Kevlar View Post
    Hey GreenLizard, thanks for the suggestion. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I am going to couple this with my BA down bad and air core pad. Up until this post I was going to try a Thermarest Ridge Rest Solar Sleeping Pad. The Therma lite bivy should do the trick. Thanks again.
    Heres a link to a review....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQesAK0QLho
    Make sure it's placed on the outside of the hammock (I have pics posted) as it's far more efficient that way and you\your bag won't slide all over the place.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

do you button tie the corners and connect to your suspension? Does it have to be taught to work effectively?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Any of the AHE sythetic KAQ's will do. However, if you don't want to drop the cash on an UQ right now, I'd maybe go with a Gossamer Gear Night Light pad or Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad. I think either of these would be fine down to around 60 or so.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    If you're talking down to just 60° or so, A1 Foam has a 1/8" pad that you can cut to your liking for under $5 per 60" wide yard plus shipping. If you decide to camp in colder temps, it does a nice job as a vapor barrier in boosting an UQ.
    One 36"X60" piece should more than handle those temps. They're also impervious to moisture and are fairly indestructible. It's not quite as "high grade" as the Evazote, but it is more than adequate at a substantial discount.

If you don't want a pad, I'd go the MM Gear IX route. While a pad works, nothing is quite as comfortable as a good UQ.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Make sure it's placed on the outside of the hammock (I have pics posted) as it's far more efficient that way and you\your bag won't slide all over the place.
    Thanks, I checked the pics out. Did you cut one of the sides and the closed end open so that what would be the inside is against the bottom of the hammock?

wisenber, forgive my ignorance but what is MM Gear IX?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    do you button tie the corners and connect to your suspension? Does it have to be taught to work effectively?
    It's also great for keeping it cooler in hotter weather...something a quilt can't do.

Have a look at these:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5383

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=1940

I've also used it tied loosely with the sides of the HeetSheet pulled up the sides of my hammock for more warmth. A bit noisey that way, but the inside of the hammock becomes quit warm.

Oh yeah, it only weighs 3.4 ozs.
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 01-03-2011 at 00:15.
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt-Kevlar View Post
    Thanks, I checked the pics out. Did you cut one of the sides and the closed end open so that what would be the inside is against the bottom of the hammock?
    No cutting was needed.

This will help explain:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=5383

I also carry an automotive windshield reflector when the temps are below freezing. Simply slide it in between the body of the hammock (if you get a chill) and the HeetSheet...sauna time. Understand, I don't use just any emergency blanket type reflector. It's the Adventure Medical 2 Person HeetSheet...very durable and bigger than regular emergency blankets. I've seen them listed on the web for $5 with a goole search, "Campsaver" may have been one.

This is "not" the Emergency Bivy they make, all though I have been tempted to try one and it would probably work great if rigged properly.
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 01-03-2011 at 00:28.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Images
    ahh, it all makes sense now. I'm gonna give the bivy a shot for now.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I have an UQ that I made using climashield (the thinest one I could find) and covered it with DWR ripstop nylon. Never had any problems due to rain/humidity during the spring/summer/early fall with it. And it packs very well in my backpack. And if you can't sew... Another thing I've used is to just tie up under me a military poncho liner. This is a much cheaper option, versatal in that you can still use the liner as a blanket. And the color is a nice woodys green. This is a bit heavier to backpack though.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    any quilt can be strung loosely (I believe JRB call it "leaving the windows open") to give both warmth and cool, so maybe purchase something that you can crank down for the colder temps, to save having a 1 season and 3 season set up?

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast