Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Premature Strap Wear w/ Dutch Clips

I have noticed a problem with my hammock suspension. A few months back I switched over to Dutch clips from biners. When I did I replaced the straps on my set-up with the camo strap material that AHE sells. Since then I have two nights in the hammock and 2-3 afternoon test hangs. When I pulled my gear down from my test this weekend I noticed an alarming amount of wear on these straps. Is anyone else seeing this problem? With Dutch clips and/ or the camo AHE strap material? Prior to this I used a similar set-up that used Biners to connect the strap end at the tree and never noticed wear issues.

I also found that the Dutch clip slipped partially out of the strap and punched through the strap at one end but I chalk that up to operator error...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    That second picture...if anyone doubts the pressures that hammocks exert...Yikes!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have also noticed this happening with some Strapworks straps that I was using at the house. It was happening I think because I was always setting them up at the same position, same distance and same tree/strap set. Once I started rotating my my straps the wear was negligible. Had the dame thing happen to me in pic 2, those straps have since been retired.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    GVilleDave, your wear is mostly at the edge... I'm wondering if you could avoid it by taking a little time to be sure the strap is pulling evenly through the DC. Also, try turning the DC upside down, so the luck runs out. You could stand to lose the luck, if you also lose the chafe!

Do you put the DC at the side of the tree, or right in the center? At the side, there is less force on the DC, and maybe less chafe on the strap.

Those are polyester straps, like mule tape, which will show wear like that. But they are very strong for the weight!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Are you setting up in the woods or at home on a hammock stand or other permanent mount? If you are in the woods, I can't see the Dutch Clip resting on the same spot twice (sort of like getting hit by lightening twice).

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I am setting the DC on the side of the tree, not the center. I will try flipping the DC upside down if that reduces chafe.

Since several of the times (4-5) that this set has been used was in my yard testing the set-up was on the same tree in the same position so that could be a factor.

Does the amount or wear shown require me to replace the straps? At this point I am planning to unless I hear that I am being overly cautious.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Peace of mind..replace your straps.
    Do you have enough undamaged strap to do a dedicated "home" set? Repair the damaged set (cut off, sew in new loops, if applicable to your span and strap length)
    Alternative would be to vary your wraps at the tree to move the point of contact. Wrap twice or three times. Doing so should limit damage to repeated stress points.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    If you make the "arms" of the DC thicker (wrap twine, duct tape, etc.) you will spread the force on the strap over a larger area.
    Think of it this way, if you gave the DC a knife edge, it would slice right through the strap.
    Conversely, the thicker (with rounded edges) you make the DC the harder it is to damage the straps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I haven't used Paul's webbing, but it looks very much like the rolls I used to buy from OWF. If that's the case, I've had this same thing happen to a number of my webbing straps. In almost every case, it results from me hanging in the same spot for more than a day or two. Not just with the DCs either, the only hardware combo I've used that hasn't left a mark are those old-school rings and biners. I've left a scar using the Tri-Rings, Dutch Clips, Tri-Glides, and Cinch Buckles. I think that webbing is just very soft. I've even found a small notch taken out of the webbing, not just rubbing. Obviously, the one that notched got replaced immediately. The others are still in use, but I do try avoid setting the worn spots on any hardware.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I think I would take a file to the edges of the DC's

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast