WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    The 2 times I have done it, & I just use an old Gatorade bottle, I had the lid tight (that's TIGHT!) & let it cool just a bit before putting in the bag that I think pulls the lid tighter. I also left an air space (about 1.5") So far, no leaks either time.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikinghombre7 View Post
    I left the water level a good two inches below from the full mark.
    Maybe check the threads? I've used it back when I was a ground-dweller with no issues. Also, are there any cracks? I've filled bottles with a soapy solution (like the tires guys do looking for leaks), shook the bottle and that gave the leaky spot away instantly.

Hope that helps.

Syb

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Anyone ever thought of using an actual hot water bottle? I know there would be added weight for a single use item, but I would think from the security of the closure and the rubber conformity it would be worth it?

Thinking out loud as I have never used one (yet).

Grandma did this in her bed too. It was called a called a 'hot water bottle' back then... You can buy them at any drug store for less than a Nalgene. They're designed not to leak, and they are more comfortable to lie with than a hard plastic bottle.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Which Nalgene botte are we talking about here? They make a half dozen different materials, plus large & small mouth versions.

Also, was the water still bubbling when you fill the bottle or di you give it a minute to stop boiling.

The more details we have will really help because a lot of winter campers use this method.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Which Nalgene botte are we talking about here?
    The OP says a Nalgene Cantene bottle. That's NOT what we all commonly think of as a Nalgene bottle, but is more like a Platypus. See photo below. Here's a link:
    Nalgene 'cantene' bottle

For myself, I leave NO AIR (or very little) in my regular hard plastic Nalgene bottle when doing this. It is air that expands and contracts, not water, when it cools or heats. I want to get rid of that pressure/suction buildup.

I've not had a leak ... so far. But also I do NOT tighten the cap too hard. To me the cap is the 'weakest link.' I have screwed caps on other bottles so tight that the cap cracks. Not good. So, I don't 'He Man' it, as I think that would cause the very leak problem I want to prevent.

And no, wrapping a sock or t-shirt doesn't keep you from getting heat, but it does keep you from getting scalded.

Rain Man

P.S. A Google search turns up another 'Nalgene' bottle that looks like an old Army canteen. Not sure if that could be what the OP is talking about.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 01-03-2011 at 14:35.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    The OP says a Nalgene Cantene bottle. That's NOT what we all commonly think of as a Nalgene bottle, but is more like a Platypus. See photo below. Here's a link:
    Nalgene 'cantene' bottle

For myself, I leave NO AIR (or very little) in my regular hard plastic Nalgene bottle when doing this. It is air that expands and contracts, not water, when it cools or heats. I want to get rid of that pressure/suction buildup.

I've not had a leak ... so far. But also I do NOT tighten the cap too hard. To me the cap is the 'weakest link.' I have screwed caps on other bottles so tight that the cap cracks. Not good. So, I don't 'He Man' it, as I think that would cause the very leak problem I want to prevent.

And no, wrapping a sock or t-shirt doesn't keep you from getting heat, but it does keep you from getting scalded.

Rain Man

P.S. A Google search turns up another 'Nalgene' bottle that looks like an old Army canteen. Not sure if that could be what the OP is talking about.

I would be nervous of the same things. The lid is the weakest point on a bottle in good condition. I figure the very hot water can make the plastic lid a little pliable. If I tighten the cap as much as manly possible I figure I might stretch/warp/or crack the threads of the cap. My wife and I dont tighten our water bottles caps (cold water which we use ever single day) at all and have never had a leak. I'm defiantly going with hot water and super tight lid=bad combination.

As for extra insurance while camping with a hot water bottle I but the bottle in a sock and put it in one or two zip lock bags.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    For warm water bottle use in winter camping, I stick to the hard sided HDPE bottle with the large mouth. It's been an oldie but goodie for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I always put mine ..... Camelback Hard Bottle...... in a big baggie and seal it well! So far so good......!!!!
    Shug the Dry
    Last edited by Shug; 01-03-2011 at 15:17.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I have had several Nalgene's leak, but luckily never in the hammock! What I have done to stop the leak is use plumbers thread tape, as all of mine and my kids's have leaked at the threads, never had a problem since using the tape!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast