Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Using The Extra Material in a HAAB Double Hammock.

Before you even ask, HAAB is an acronym for Hook And Attached Bag hammock. It's a term first used in my TTTM Hammock review and it refers to hammocks like TTTM, Trek Light, ENO, Bliss hammocks, etc. All of these hammocks are constructed of the same material and almost identical construction techniques with only minor differences between them, besides the brand labels. HAAB is a general term used to describe hammocks constructed of 1-3 (usually 3) panels of fabric, have a storage sack attached to the side of the hammock, and sewn channels on each end where the suspension ropes pass through.

When testing my TTTM double hammock on a 2 night 3 day outing at the Red River Gorge I noticed that there was a lot of extra fabric on the sides of the hammock. I am holding the extra material up on the left side in this picture:

In the winter I normally use either a hammock sock/travel pod or a top cover to enclose the hammock to increase warmth. I didn't use anything on this outing and believe me I was really missing that piece of gear. Areas of exposed skin, like my face and hands, got really cold when not covered up. On the second night, while laying in the hammock trying to go to sleep, I started playing around with the extra material. What I found out was that you could use the extra material to wrap around my top quilt, cocoon style, and make a tent over my exposed face to create a hammock-sock-like environment over my face, all with no added weight because I was using the hammock.

You can see in the following pictures how I wrapped the bottom portion of the hammock around my top quilt in the foot section:

Top quilt exposed:

Pull one side over:

Pull other side over to form cocoon:

Making this cocoon around the top quilt made a noticeable difference in warmth. By tucking the quilt around my sides and then forming the cocoon, it helped to keep the quilt in place better all the while snugging it up around my body without compressing the insulation. Nice.

I also found that you could use the upper portion of the hammock material to forma sort of tent around my head area. This creates the enclosed environment that helps warm up and protect the exposed skin. You can see in the pictures below I used the draw string on the storage bag to help make the "tent" area over my face by using my ridge line.

The storage bag used to help make the tent...

... it creates an area similar to this:

I need help in devising a way to use this material for added warmth. If you have any ideas throw them out there. I know an enclosed hammock using the extra material has been discussed before, but I didn't own a HAAB double hammock before and I had no idea it would work so well.

I had thought about using shock cord and mitten hooks to help form the cocoon around the bottom. There would be grosgrain tabs sewn to one side of the hammock and shock cord/ mitten hooks on the edge of the other side. You would pull the first side over you and the bring the sides with the shock cord/ mitten hooks over and clip them on the gros grain tabs to form the cocoon at the foot end.

I had also though about using mitten hooks to suspend the extra material around the head end from the ridge line and velcro to seal the two edges of the hammock together to form the tent around the head.

I drew this picture and I hope it makes my idea a little bit clearer:
    Last edited by headchange4u; 12-01-2007 at 14:42.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    not to long after i started using my ENO double i had similar thoughts.
    here's what i did...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PB300013.JPG

i cut the extra width on each side & re-hemed it, then added velcro in a couple places to hold the longer, lower sections together, overlapped.

it worked great. sometimes that's all i needed to make the difference in being comfortable.
    i showed several people but no one seemed to really appreciate the idea... probably just because they hadn't yet grasped the concept of that breathable, wind barrier.

i have let a friend borrow that hammock, therefore a quick sketch instead of a picture.

after spending more time sleeping in the cold, i believe what i did can be improved on.
    i've found it really nice to go even further in stopping the drafts & heat loss. that can be better done i believe w/ something like you (headchange) described.... & w/ little or no weight gain.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    very nice, minimal alteration and weight gain, makes me wish I had hit up the treklight sale to tinker with stuff... as for the bottom, do you feel you are missing anything not having a hammock sock in addition to the UQ?
    Last edited by nickelanddime; 12-01-2007 at 00:02. Reason: question
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The Speer SnugFit keeps me toasty on the bottom. The sock is more of an influence on the ambient air temps inside.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I used an ENO Double for awhile and I liked it a lot for just these reasons, however, I made a zHammock and then stuck with it because I liked placing the pad between the two layers. However, like I said I liked the extra material. So I turned my zHammock into a winter hammock by adding a double thickness of extra material (about a foot wide) along the and then sewed a poncho liner into the hammock. First use kept me comfortable with just a synthetic over quilt down to 27 or 28d.

-Tod

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Thanks for the idea guys, I have an ENO double and its just like you describe here. I'm thinking of making a narrow diamond shaped "insert" with velcro to allow me to seal it up (I'm fairly wide and need a little more material at my shoulders). Great idea.

Has anyone ever tried adding a pad sleeve to one of these type hammocks?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I made this insert, ended up going with a triangle - I couldn't stand having my face covered up completely.

I first put velcro along the whole length (I figured I could use it for bug netting in the summer if I wanted like on the Speers) but it was too tight around my shoulders to close up completely and still be comfortable. So then I made the wedgie insert (silver ripstop from Wallyworld) so it fits up to my chin, this made it wide enough to close up without squeezing at my shoulders.

I can see where this would make it a little warmer - I haven't slept out in it yet, but looking forward to trying it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Nice idea Gregg3 I had pretty much the same ideaq, but just couldn't figure out how I wanted to do it.
    Chris

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Great idea Gregg3. I might just try something similar on my Treklight double. I'd use free magic around the whole hammock. Headchange4u recommended getting it from here and I did. Great price. Comes out to exactly $1.00 a yard including shipping. That's about 3 times less than it costs in stores. 25 yard minimum order. www.wbcindustries.com/velcro_free_magic.html I got the 1" wide.
    For those not familiar with this stuff, it sticks to itself. No need for a separate hook and loop like velcro has. I'd use some ripstop on the lower half like you did and maybe just close the upper half with the free magic. Would be set-up for an easy bugnet project later.
    Of course this would be a loaner hammock. I'm a bridge guy now.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Maybe it's just me, but the free magic stuff doesn't hold as well for me as the regular velcro does. This stuff is on the foot end of my Old Rag Mountain quilt and it seems like it comes loose pretty easy (on the other hand it is much more comfortable on the skin, the hook strips can be rather abrasive on the skin).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast