Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Night in BMBH Hammock on Oly Coast

When i received my new Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock on the 28th i ran right out with my I Pod to watch a movie from my new hammock.

After my movie i did a quick day hike up to a higher elevation and dug a few snow pits...did no like what i found. Fresh loads of snow in the hills meant Avalanche danger was too high for comfort. What to do...head for the Coast!
    With short winter days i ended up at Hobuck bay just south of Cape Flattery the most north west point of the continental United States, just before sunset. With an off shore flow i would to clear sky's, a rare thing in this neck of the woods. The plan was to camp here over night and head down to Shi Shi beach in the morning.
    When i hung my hammock temps were below freezing, and winds were breezy. Night came quickly and i settled in with a book in a cocoon of down.
    Around one AM i woke to a horrible chill, and the roar of a strong gust of wind. My beard was frozen to my book. The trees were swaying in the wind, my hammock with them. The doors on my Super Fly were flapping uselessly in the wind, the shock cord was no match for the wind. The wind was blowing beneath my under quilt. Fortunately i also had a 2/3 length foam pad in the sleeve as back up. I curled up fetal position to try and get my entire body on the pad. I needed to retention the tarp so i had to get out of the protective cocoon of down and foam. I had to go pee anyway. I took care of the tarp first, then put a some water on the stove, then went pee. When i returned to check on the water there was still ice floating in the water. I wandered on to the beach. There are almost no street lights in this corner of the Olympic Peninsula. Only a few lights from ships at sea...and no land to the west for thousands of miles thus light pollution is minimal. The off shore winds blew the typical marine layer away...i stood shivering in the wind in absolute awe at how bright the Milky Way shined in the sky. Never in my life have i experienced such clear and dark sky's. Suddenly i remember i was heating water. I ran back to find ice still floating in the water. The wind was simply overwhelming the stoves ability to heat. Fortunately i was still car camping...i gathered up my stove an water five minutes in the jeep i had hot tea. And an empty fuel cartage.
    Tossed six hand warmers in the hammock, finished my tea, adjusted the under quilt and crawled back in the hammock. I quickly drifted off to sleep in the wind rocked hammock.
    The next morning i found some surfers that offered some weather info. Gusts reached 60 mph that night, meaning wind chill reached 0 during the night. They offered me even more...this was a classic micro climate zone. During an off shore wind scenario a gap in two ridges accelerate any wind to gale force. They even suggested some places where winds would be calmer. I bagged my Shi Shi idea and headed further south. Stopping at easy access beaches. Ended up a Kalaloch beach for the night. Winds were non existent which mad for a much warmer night.

Here's some photo's i shot in no particular order.

Clam diggers on Kalaloch beach

Note the frost on the beach logs, and the surfer.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Beautiful shots!!! Too bad you had to deal with the high winds. Good thing someone was there to give you some feedback and offer a better location for the next night.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I doooo miss the coast . . .

. . . THANK YOU so much for the photo reminder.

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Great photos... Thanks for the report.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, great pics. Thanks for the report! Sounds chilly, but fun.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thank you for a respite from the evil work place!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    Thank you for the post! Your pictures are great. I know that kind of wind under your UQ makes it almost worthless. I had a similar experience at the top of tree line on Mt. Adams last year. Brrrrrrrrr!
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    With winds like that, a hammock sock is most helpful for keeping the heat in. Just something to think about.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fun to read your report. I love the beard frozen to book part.
    A weathershield has helped me a lot in the wind. Mine weighs 6oz and is just ripstop DWR.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Love the report and pics! My 2nd week long back pack trip ( using a hammock and not counting over nighters) was to the Hoh River in ONP. (Using my HHSS stock except with my then new OES MacCat DLX tarp)

That was a great trip, but man are those hills ( from Hoh river to High Divide or Blue Glacier) STEEP! We had lots of fog and drizzle, but the wind was OK deep in the woods.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast