Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap

Line Guidance

Ok Folks,
    I have a pondering for you. So far I have amassed a decent amount of kit. I have a cheapie single chute hammock(tow strap suspension) that I will be eventually upgrading to an ENO Double. A Kelty Noah 12 I am patiently awaiting delivery on. A Nice mummy bag that keeps me warm.

Now I need some guidance as to what rope/suspension/guy line material you prefer and where to get it. I think whoopies are cool, but not real interested in going that route. What line do you guys use for tarps and guys? How much extra do you have on hand for tie outs/ porch mode?

Do I have to order online or is this stuff redily available?

I would like to have a complete set up before the Florida Hang.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    What line do you guys use for tarps and guys?
    I'm a big fan of Speer No-Tangle. I keep some on hand at home almost all the time.

How much extra do you have on hand for tie outs/ porch mode?
    I se 8' on my side tie outs, just in case I want to go into porch mode, especially in nice weather.

Do I have to order online or is this stuff redily available?
    Available from the nice folks at Tree to Tree Trail Gear.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    TFC, check out this post from ^shane^ and this one from sr1355. Finally, Mountainfitter has some guy line available in 25' increments.

Hope that helps.

Syb

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I started out with all 1" poly straps with rings and then went to whoopies.
    While the whoopies are lighter and less volume (yeah, cool too), they do require more fiddle factor and more space between the trees. I am seriously considering going back to all straps (and I'm a gram weenie).

For other line, I have discovered the simple and direct approach of ordering 180' spool of 1.75mm Zing-it from http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-s...-x-180-ft.html
    I use that line for everything. Yes, it's overkill on the strength for most needs but, there really isn't anything significantly lighter or easier to work with, so my life is simplified with one type of line.

I'll see you at the Florida hang!!!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I use this 2 mil cordage from my local outfitter for my tarp ridgeline and tieouts.

I carry anywhere from 20-50 feet of extra 2 mil for miscellaneous stuff - porch mode, etc. I am considering swapping the 2 mil out for dynaglide for this because if something were to happen to my whoopies, I could hang off this extra cordage.

I carry 50 feet of dynaglide for my bear/food bag.

I also carry extra amsteel suspension extenders that I more often than not use for carrying bundles of collected firewood than actually extending my suspension.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I've been using a fairly light rope for my suspension. . . I think it's a 5 or 6mm climbing type rope. I've been reluctant to try anything else because I like rope and using different knots and I've always felt that it gave me more flexibility. However, I've recently come to accept that most if not all my reasoning was simply a product of my reluctance to spend a little money and try new things. I just got a set of whoopie slings to try, and I have a set of 1 inch straps with tri-glides on the way as well. I guess it's not a lot of help to you to hear that I'm looking for what works for me though. Sorry 'bout that.

For tarps and guy lines I mostly use braided mason line. It's light, and take up almost no space, and it's plenty strong for what I'm using it for. On the down side, it's thin enough to be a bit of a PITA to work with, and it tangles fairly easily. I also like paracord for some things. It's a bit heavier and bulkier, but not as prone to becoming a tangled mess, and easier to work with, especially if you don't want your knots to be permanent. I'd like to try out some of the other options that have been mentioned already.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I agree with Hooch on the Speer No Tangle. It's only downside is, you can't splice it...if that's an issue for you, then the 1.75 ZingIt is nice stuff.

For suspensions, the simplicity and infinite adjustability of webbing and cinch buckles is very hard to beat, especially for someone who is just getting started. Paul @ AHE can fix you up...one stop shopping.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I use http://www.treestuff.com/store/catal..._id=6&item=175. Love the stuff. Love the shop. Great customer service and shipping time. They have some cool t-shirts too.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I picked up a 100' spool of 1.75mm single braid Dyneema from Warbonnet Outdoors. Been using this since then on both my tarps and it works very well for me. Bright Yellow too.
    Side Tie-Outs I use inexpensive Utility line "Fluorescent Orange" I found @Walmart in the fishing section. Cheap and works very well for all sorts of stuff.
    my $0.02

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I am considering swapping the 2 mil out for dynaglide for this because if something were to happen to my whoopies, I could hang off this extra cordage.
    That's what I do. I have 7/64 whoopie slings, my hammock ridgeline is paracord, and my tarp ridgeline is dynaglide. If something were to happen to a whoopie, I could cut the center out of the tarp ridgeline and use that for the rest of the trip.

For tarp tieouts, I have the cordage that came with my Kelty Noah. It works well enough, and there's about 6-8 feet of it for each tie-out.

In addition, I carry a small mesh bag filled with lengths of paracord and trash bags. The paracord totals to around 50ft, and I have 3-4 trash bags for use as emergency pack covers, ponchos, insulation, vapor barriers, and sometimes to put my trash in
    Be like Bob

• + New Posts