Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    To shorten the ridgeline temporarily, just put a marlin spike hitch in it. Then try the hammock. If you want it shorter still, put another marlin spike hitch in it, etc, etc. When you find the length you like, measure it and then make the modification permanent.

Remember, You can't lengthen the ridgeline on WBBB without modifying the bugnet.
    Texaswildman,

I thought of an easy way to temporarily convert your existing ridgeline to an adjustable ridgeline.

In the pictures below, the large green cord is your ridgleline and the small yellow cord is a loop with a Klemheist knotted onto your ridgeline. The carabiner is attached to your ridgeline via a Marlin hitch, with the carabiner acting as the spike.

Now you can slide the Klemheist knot along your ridgeline, and the more you slide it, the shorter the ridgeline gets. You will need to get out of your hammock to slide the knot because it will not slide with the tension of your weight on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'm 5 foot "tall" and trust me, trees are NEVER close enough that I can just tie my hammock up without needing a step ladder. Well since I don't have a ladder in my backpack, I find a stick and just adjust the ropes/webbing up higher on the tree. When I take down the next morning, I have to find the stick and again adjust the ropes/webbing down to where I can reach it.

I think I'd try the stick method and adjust the ropes up higher before I tried messing with the ridgeline. Plus try a pillow and hang with feet higher. Only then, if you're still having issues, would I mess with the ridgeline.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    I find a stick and just adjust the ropes/webbing up higher on the tree.
    Now THIS is a simple idea!

Mad, I will look into your mod as well. I like the pictures just getting the theory to work with me is an issue. I am an Arapaho knot maker. I like to just awrap it any way I can to get it to stay.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I think, in general, people choose trees that are too far apart. If your tarp will fit in there just barely, that's perfect, and no sticks, ladders, helicopters, etc will be necessary.

Sometimes, of course, you have to make do with what you've got, but it makes hanging more challenging.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I'm 5 foot "tall" and trust me, trees are NEVER close enough that I can just tie my hammock up without needing a step ladder. Well since I don't have a ladder in my backpack, I find a stick and just adjust the ropes/webbing up higher on the tree. When I take down the next morning, I have to find the stick and again adjust the ropes/webbing down to where I can reach it.

I think I'd try the stick method and adjust the ropes up higher before I tried messing with the ridgeline. Plus try a pillow and hang with feet higher. Only then, if you're still having issues, would I mess with the ridgeline.

TinaLouise

Same here. I don't know if this has anything to do with why you have heel pain but when I first set up my BB seems like my ridgeline was always too tight - like scary tight - and sometimes I'd get wicked cramps in my lower legs (the kind where you have to jump out before it becomes permanent) from the position of my lower back in the hammock.

I had been looking for a thread about this when I saw one of Shug's videos with Wandering Fool's hammock having so much sag in his ridgeline that it was flopping to his chest when he sat in his hammock and I thought he must have a longer length. Then I found I could get a looser ridgeline by hanging closer to 7'+ high (also using a stick) or hanging between trees that are closer together, like maybe 10 feet, but the angle I am most comfortable is much steeper than what I understand to be optimal.

Good luck!
    Last edited by gates; 01-08-2011 at 21:14.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    I will be trying this idea of closer trees or higher hang for sure. I just thought that if possible, I could put another ridge line on that I could adjust for tree width.

Let me "keep it simple stupid" first and then I will report back. Thanks for the ideas!

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I found that I preferred a good bit of sag as well and when I had it the way I liked it, the ridgeline hung down pretty far. I guesstimated the amount of extra ridgeline I had and retied it to shorten it up. If you look at the end knots on your wbbb, you'll see the ridgeline wrapped on the outside. I was able to pull on that and retie the bowline knot to shorten without cutting. I then just wrapped it back on the knot like before, pulled the knot of the ridgeline back inside and ended up with the perfect sag for me everytime without replacing anything.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There are two different issues here for me.

One is that my whoopie slings require me to use trees that are further apart (I'm considering going back to straps).

The other issue is that I am finding that a shorter ridgeline than stock WBBB seems to be more comfortable for me, even though I'm 6'-1" tall.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I don't understand why whoopies make your suspension longer, I'm going to post another thread about this. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...986#post385986

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think you are on the right track Wildman; try a steeper hangle before cutting the Black Bird.

FWIW I have the same heel pain, but not just in my hammock. Any time I leave my feet in one position for very long, like while driving, I get this pain. So, for me at least, it's not just hammock related; I call it restless foot syndrome (look up restless leg syndrome for a primer), I have no idea if it is related to RLS but it is what I imagine RLS to be.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast