WBBB-XLC Multicam 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder

Be kind to the Rookie

This past weekend I got to sleep in my Blackbird 1.7 double. I have searched the board by key word and by subject title for a way to adjust the ridge line in my BB but have not been able to find anything.

Here is my issue. I am 6'1" and 200lbs. The BB was extremely comfortable until......

About two hours in to each nap I found the back of my heals were sore in the foot box and when I went to lay on my side, my inside ankle (one on the hammock) would get sore. I would then flop back to the foot box and this continued 3 or 4 times all night.

Last night I set up the hammock and Rat told me I had my suspensions and ridge line was too tight. So, I set up at 30 degrees and kept the ridge line to where I could bend a 90 with my forefinger and thumb. I again, after about 2 hours of sleep found the back of my heals sore and again my ankle on the hammock sore after laying on my side.

Can the ridge line be untied such that I can mess with length to shorten or maybe even lengthen it?

My ENO ridge was 97/98 inches. I think I am needing less ridge line so I can get more diagonal with the hammock loosened some. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have the same issues, and where I put my torso in the hammock is critical to heel and calf comfort. I can't tell you exactly what to do, other than scooting your butt around until you go, "Ahhhhh."

And, yes, you can change out the rl for an adjustable one, which may help, too.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder

The problem is the BB is so comfortable that any where my butt goes I say Ahhhhh..... until my heals scream WAKE UP

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswildman View Post
    This past weekend I got to sleep in my Blackbird 1.7 double. I have searched the board by key word and by subject title for a way to adjust the ridge line in my BB but have not been able to find anything.

Here is my issue. I am 6'1" and 200lbs. The BB was extremely comfortable until......

About two hours in to each nap I found the back of my heals were sore in the foot box and when I went to lay on my side, my inside ankle (one on the hammock) would get sore. I would then flop back to the foot box and this continued 3 or 4 times all night.

Last night I set up the hammock and Rat told me I had my suspensions and ridge line was too tight. So, I set up at 30 degrees and kept the ridge line to where I could bend a 90 with my forefinger and thumb. I again, after about 2 hours of sleep found the back of my heals sore and again my ankle on the hammock sore after laying on my side.

Can the ridge line be untied such that I can mess with length to shorten or maybe even lengthen it?

My ENO ridge was 97/98 inches. I think I am needing less ridge line so I can get more diagonal with the hammock loosened some. Any suggestions?
    You should not have to change the ridgeline length.
    You could try more sag. Just change the angle from 30 degrees to say 35 degrees that will give you more sag and allow you to lay flatter in the asym position.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-05-2011 at 16:23.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly w/door
    Insulation
    R-11
    Suspension
    Over the Shoulder
    What about getting say 35 degrees but then having the sag below my tarp line or my butt dragging dirt and I can't go any higher than about 7' on a normal reach for the tree and suspension.

Now Rat gets a break because I don't have to call him all the time

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    To shorten the ridgeline temporarily, just put a marlin spike hitch in it. Then try the hammock. If you want it shorter still, put another marlin spike hitch in it, etc, etc. When you find the length you like, measure it and then make the modification permanent.

Remember, You can't lengthen the ridgeline on WBBB without modifying the bugnet.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Also, have you tried putting the foot end of the hammock a bit higher than the head end. If so, try a few more inches difference. I hang the ends of my hammock at "Eyes & Nipples" The foot end of the hammock is even (give or take a inch or so) with my Eyes, the head end is, yep you guessed it, at Nipple level. I'm considerably shorter than you, but this puts me at just the right level & so no heel pain. This has worked with all 4 of my hammocks, including my true love the WBBB. If nothing else, it's something to try that doesn't require hammock modification & can be changed in seconds.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    foot cushion?

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

By no means am I in any way a hammock expert and I don't have a WB. I have a HH Explorer Deluxe and I have found that putting a small size pillow under my knees takes the stress off my lower legs. Don't know if it will help you, but it's worth a shot.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswildman View Post
    What about getting say 35 degrees but then having the sag below my tarp line or my butt dragging dirt and I can't go any higher than about 7' on a normal reach for the tree and suspension.

Now Rat gets a break because I don't have to call him all the time
    Haha, Yep if you have to take a stepladder with you camping it would kinda take the fun out of hammocking. How about finding two trees a little closer together then you should not have to ty so high to get the angle you want.

I also like the small pillow idea under the knee's

hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast