Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Jungle camping--help a n00b out.

Hey everyone, I'm new both to the forums and to hammocking (is that a legit verb?), and have a couple of questions about getting started.

Forgive me if this is all completely redundant--I've looked through some of the threads, including the one with all the dream set-ups, but there is A LOT of information here! So in the interest of clarity and admittedly a bit of laziness, I am just going to ask my questions directly, if I may be permitted to do so.

I have never used a hammock before but am a reasonably experienced backpacker and tend to lean toward the somewhat minimal / lightweight style of packing and camping. I've been interested in trying a hammock for some time, and I just bought myself a ticket to Costa Rica, so this seems like a perfect opportunity!

I have been looking around online at the myriad types and styles of hammocks available, and I am trying to figure out if I need to spend the extra cash on a heavy-duty made-for-jungle set-up, or if I would do just as well with something simpler and less expensive. One of my chief concerns is what kind of material is going to be the best at preventing insect bites? I know that, whatever I go with, I will need to have a sturdy rain fly and sufficient mosquito netting, but what else do you recommend for jungle use?

Of course my other chief concern is something that will pack down and be relatively light-weight, but most hammocks I've seen so far fit that criteria almost automatically. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Off hand I'd say a skeeter beater pro with a say small silnylon tarp would would be a nice setup. I'm not speaking on the jungle aspect but it would give you an attatched bugnet. I have a Hammock Bliss w/ Noseeum bugnet but it's a little bulkier than I like for packing. The skeeter beater pro is economical as is the hammock bliss.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge runner or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Super
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch bro
    I like my skeeter beeter pro and a tarp but that is just me. I am by no means an expert, nor have I ever camped in a jungle. Just the south east.

J

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums and yes, we hold the patent on several new verbs for the English language.

Fabric isn't as important as the number of layers. Two layers of fabric makes it all but impossible for them to successfully penetrate. That's why most hammocks that call themselves "Jungle Hammocks" are double layer hammocks. Very effective and there are a plethora of them out there.

Permethrin is another very popular way to deal with bugs that bite and crawl. It's a substance you spray or soak your gear with. When the bugs make contact, they die shortly after. Takes mosquitoes a few extra seconds, but they don't have time to get much done.
    Trust nobody!

Great, thanks for the input so far. I hadn't come across the Skeeter Beater hammocks yet, but I'm looking at them now and I really like them. They seem like good quality at a pretty reasonable price.

I had been looking at the Hennessys for their A-Sym design, which is honestly somewhat appealing. But I've heard some people say that you can sleep at a skewed angle in virtually any hammock and achieve a relatively flat position--has anyone here found that to NOT be the case with their hammock?

It also seems that EVERYONE'S first concern about trying a hammock is sleeping in a curved position, and EVERYONE'S answer is that it's a lot more comfortable than you think, so maybe it's not even a concern. Thoughts?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Disclaimer: I'm a noob here too but...

You might also want to have a look at the Warbonnet Blackbird (because everyone and his brother will tell you to do so). Alternatively, you could go with a standard gathered end no-net hammock (ENO, Speer, TTTM, etc.) and encase yourself and hammock in a net (like the ENO Guardian) so there's no worry about them biting through the bottom (either the hammock's or yours).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GingivitisKahn View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a noob here too but...

You might also want to have a look at the Warbonnet Blackbird (because everyone and his brother will tell you to do so). Alternatively, you could go with a standard gathered end no-net hammock (ENO, Speer, TTTM, etc.) and encase yourself and hammock in a net (like the ENO Guardian) so there's no worry about them biting through the bottom (either the hammock's or yours).
    Expounding on this....

WB also has the Traveler, which you can pair with one of his bug nets. The traveler is an open gathered end hammock and his bug net envelopes the entire living quarters, like the ENO guardian.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    I don't know much about other brands/types of hammocks, but I used my Claytor JH in the Suriname jungle. No problems with it, but a lot of people say there's more comfortable options out there. There are also certainly lighterweight and/or more packable options.

FWIW, I soaked everything in premethrin (hammock, clothing, etc.) before I went. Don't know if it helped or not.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    another choice to give a look see at is the Clark and specificly at the Clark Tropical w/XL rain fly. More money up front but you've got a skeeter proof single layer hammock and a rain fly. If you're 6 foot tall (or taller) get the larger version of the Tropical. There's been times when I was setting mine up that I was being eatten alive by skeeters and once I got inside my hammock, they covered the no-see-um netting (and I'm guessing they covered the bottom too) but I didn't get any bites after I got inside and zipped up the netting. NONE through the single layer bottom but I did have to make sure I didn't put my arms on the top netting. I've also never sprayed or put permethrin on my hammock. And I don't like to get inside my hammock with deet on me, I don't like the smell. I'll wear it during the day but once I get in my hammock, I'll try to have a wet-wipe to get some of it off of me. The Clark hammock is skeeter proof so once I'm in it, I don't worry about them. I've found the Clark Tropical to be much cooler, temp wise, than the Clark NA. I camp in very high humid conditions (yesterday's weather said 96% humidity!!). Also note that this is a "lay down the center" type hammock and it's a much closer to your body hammock. But it is skeeter proof!!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Big tarp. 10 x 11. No need to be trapped under a dinky tarp in a CR monsoon.

Removeable bugnet. That way, during the day you can enjoy the openess of naps at the beach. Opie suggested the WB Bugnet, I'll second that.

Big hammock, eno double, WB Traveller, would be my hammock of choice.

Sounds like a good trip in the making..enjoy!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast