Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Kid's down quilt opinions

I'm Geting ready to make my 10 year old a down TQ. Think it will be OK to make it full size? - or do I NEED to make it kid sized?

I've already made him two weights of synthetic. Those are sized for him. But I'd like not to have to make him another down one in two years(maybe less). Other than unnecessary weight is there any reason not to make it "full sized"? I figure he can just fold down the part that's too long and have double insulation on that part of his torso.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben,12x8.5
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Wopi,Togl,TreHugr
    Hey JBO I have two son's I have been making gear for so I have some perspective for you. Ideally if your son is carrying all his own gear it is important you do not sacrifice warmth, comfort, and very important simplicity of use of the gear. A boy's gear should be easy for him to figure out on his own, easy to set up on their own and or learn the function of the gear but also the gear needs to be just as reliable in temperature, durability, and uses as we would expect for our selfs. Economically children are constantly growing which means several pairs of shoes every year, new clothes, better video games, I have prioritized with my boys and these are school and activities meaning I have have prioritized my time, budget and skills in making gear so that I can provide the gear necessary for my children. I do enjoy making gear and look forward to making new quilts and clothes or whatever gear I can possible for the kids that is made just for them. I would make your bag to his dimensions and consider making it longer then his needs now to allow for him to grow into the bag over a couple years. This is what I tend to do when making gear I adjust the dimensions for now and in the near future and plan on upgrading later. hope this gives some perspective.

Hammock
    WBBB
    I think you should make it full size so he can grow into it.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    down is pretty light, so I reckon full length won't be as bad as the adult sized wally-world-style sleeping bags I used to use when I was a kid. Lugging those was "fun"!

Down is also a little bit spendy, so doing it once might be nice. 10 seems old enough to learn about proper care of gear, also.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could make it full sized, and then fold the footbox in and put a cord around it. This way the extra material is confined to a manageable area rather than flopping around his face, or encouraging him to put his face inside it where you'll have to deal with moisture in the insulation.

The only real reason not to make it full-sized is weight and bulk that he doesn't need yet. Obviously the upside is that you don't have to make another.

Maybe make it the size of an adult short model. I have GoLite Ultra Short for the kids, and I've used it myself...just barely big enough for me at 5'10", with no extra room to spare. You might look up those dimensions for a a place to start. It's 19oz for a 20F quilt.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like ya'll agree with my thoughts for the most part. The little extra weight won't bother him much as he's already down to 14 pounds with his current bag and we'll be dropping a pound even with the "full" sized one.

Now he'll have one of each (ahem) like me - a 14oz synthetic for summer, a 19oz synthetic for shoulder seasons, and a 20oz down for the cold stuff. Wish I had been my Dad.

Jbo

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Judging by how quickly my nephew grew in just a few years (he's taller than me now!) I'd agree it would make a lot of sense to make it full-sized.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts