Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Looking at Grizzly's tutorial, I had already figured on using my trekking poles for the spreader bars, especially being that I don't weigh too much, I don't think I'll have any trouble with bending them. I plan on making my own poncho, which will double as my rainfly, so I can cut some weight there. My first inclination was to use a poncho liner for a UQ, but I'm wondering if carrying a poncho liner on the AT would be a bit overkill, considering I plan on starting fairly late in the season, and doing a flip-flop to hang with the good weather. I'm leaning more towards a pad now instead of a UQ, so I can use the pad in shelters and hostels when necessary (my intention is to avoid the shelters except in bad weather). I'd like to hear some opinions on that decision though.

I've got some ideas for a permanent bug net that should keep weight low, as well as going with a fairly shallow design, to keep material to a minimum. I can also likely get away with relatively lightweight hardware and suspension materials.

I just met with some success on my first attempt at making my own silnylon, so thats going to cut the cost of this little endeavor radically.

-Smalls
    If you intend on using a pad the BMBH is the most pad friendly hammock bar none with the 26 inch wide pocket and its straight alignment...No squirting sideways, no folds or wrinkles to contend with; nor does it rely on darts in the pad to take up a proper shape

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    If you intend on using a pad the BMBH is the most pad friendly hammock bar none with the 26 inch wide pocket and its straight alignment...No squirting sideways, no folds or wrinkles to contend with; nor does it rely on darts in the pad to take up a proper shape

Pan
    have shamelessly copied the BMBH pad pocket on some of my DIY bridge hammocks and agree 100% with the outcomes Pan gives above.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-06-2011 at 22:17.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I really want to try a bridge some day, I bet I would like it a lot. I just need to lose a few more pounds.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Law Dog, I saw a thread discussing a winter hang in the Big Woods a couple counties to my east in February I think it was. If I have some gear assembled before then (or can mooch a pack and bag from a friend of mine) I might see if I can weasel myself in there, at least for an afternoon or something just to oggle all the different hammocks

Grizzly and Pan, one of the big problems I'm encountering is finding photos that really show the nitty gritty of the commercial hammocks. I've been eyeballing the JRB bridge, but without much success generating any dimensions or design ideas. I can't see what they're doing differently than any other normal bridge.

-Smalls

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looking at Grizzly's tutorial, I had already figured on using my trekking poles for the spreader bars, especially being that I don't weigh too much, I don't think I'll have any trouble with bending them. I plan on making my own poncho, which will double as my rainfly, so I can cut some weight there. My first inclination was to use a poncho liner for a UQ, but I'm wondering if carrying a poncho liner on the AT would be a bit overkill, considering I plan on starting fairly late in the season, and doing a flip-flop to hang with the good weather. I'm leaning more towards a pad now instead of a UQ, so I can use the pad in shelters and hostels when necessary (my intention is to avoid the shelters except in bad weather). I'd like to hear some opinions on that decision though.

I've got some ideas for a permanent bug net that should keep weight low, as well as going with a fairly shallow design, to keep material to a minimum. I can also likely get away with relatively lightweight hardware and suspension materials.

I just met with some success on my first attempt at making my own silnylon, so thats going to cut the cost of this little endeavor radically.

-Smalls
    Hey Smalls .... here is a bug-net I made for my Grizz Bridge....
    Bug Net Hybrid
    I am liking it .... just need skeeters now!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Shug, I haven't seen your bridge in your videos yet I don't think, but I'm only through maybe half of them. Does it make any appearances? definitely want to see a few setups and give one a test drive maybe. Gotta be someone around here who has one.

BTW Shug, lovin the videos!

-Smalls

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    have shamelessly copied the BMBH pad pocket on some of my DIY bridge hammocks and agree 100% with the outcomes Pan gives above.
    Roger that!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug, I haven't seen your bridge in your videos yet I don't think, but I'm only through maybe half of them. Does it make any appearances? definitely want to see a few setups and give one a test drive maybe. Gotta be someone around here who has one.

BTW Shug, lovin the videos!

-Smalls
    It stars in this series.........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Shug, lovin' the videos, even though you like Livermush, Potted Meat, and anchovies. I guess I can overlook your culinary oddities I' just watched the noob videos. Thanks for the great tips!

Does the JRB bridge use some kind of shaping technique to increase the pocket size for a pad, or is it just that they make it particularly wide to accommodate the pad?

-Smalls

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Shug, lovin' the videos, even though you like Livermush, Potted Meat, and anchovies. I guess I can overlook your culinary oddities
    Well, at least it's not Vegamite.

Wait, we have Aussies on board here. I DIDN'T just say that, no I didn't.

I'm just not man enough for Vegamite and I know they use it on pacifiers down under. Makes them babies sleep all nite. Have a buddy that comes up to our SPAD flyins every once in a while that brings a big sample pack with him. I had it on toast, as prescribed. I was glad to be done with the toast. He was all smiles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast