Is a roll hem needed?

i will be making a double bottom hammock out of 1.5 oz ripstop. Could i lay my panels down "face to face" sew around 3 edges then pull it right side out and then roll hem the one end. i am trying to avoid having to sew 6 layers of cloth at the same time. As i have never touched a sewing machine before this sounds rather challenging. Any input would be a great help!

Chris
    Christian, husband of one, father to eight and i love to fish!

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    it would indeed work just fine, might I suggest a top stich around the edges after you turn in back out, it would add a real nice finishing touch, great idea you had, simple and effective

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Leave a spot open to insert a pad if want to use a pad in the future.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks for you responses. My wife was concerned that might leave the edge inside open to fraying. Do you guys think that would be an issue?

Chris

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would first put a rolled hem down one long edge of each piece, and then put them together (inside out) and sew around the other three edges. Then turn it rightside out and top-stitch the open long edge...no need to topstitch the short edges b/c they'll be in the whipping anyway.

Sewing one entire long edge makes it a little more difficult to adjust your pad between the layers. My second two-layer hammock had an opening at each corner...much easier to fix the pad that way. See the diagram here:
    http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

The whole idea of the double bottom is because I'm 260 and I though that a double layer might support me better. Would it just be easier to go with a single layer of 1.7 or 1.9?

Chris

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It would really depend on the material itself...there are different "strengths" of material (tenacity) with different levels of stretch. And it would depend on your personal comfort...some folks are ok with a little stretch, and others like as little as possible.

Personally, I like the material to have very little stretch...seems to allow a flatter lay and is more comfortable to me.

Given that, I think 260 would be safe in a 1.7 or 1.9, but you might get some stretch that affects your comfort. You might try a 1.7+1.1 double layer.

Remember that any raw edge is vulnerable to fraying, even if it's "inside" the hammock. If you top-stitch after you turn it right-side out, you'll be hiding the raw edge inside the seam. If you don't top-stitch, that edge will be "exposed" on the inside of the hammock...probably ok for a while, but may eventually fray so much it needs a repair.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts