Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trucker at ez View Post
    here is a pic of the foil pad
    That looks like the Reflectix. Has anybody else tried it for a hammock? If so does it work and how much does it weigh?

I see that Reflectix is available in 4'x25' and 2'x25' rolls.

Ahh - Googling Reflectix, my girlfriend found the tech specs. There are 4 thicknesses: .3", .156", .336" and .156 with the following weights per square foot (oz per square foot): 0.8, .47, .77 and .51.

So if I bought the 2'x25' roll and used a section 6' long, she figures the weights would be 9.6 oz, 5.64 oz, 9.24 oz and 6.12 oz. According to the spec sheet, she says the R-value looks to be pretty good. The only one specified is for the 0.3 thickness and it varies from about 8 to over 14.

It looks like the stuff should work pretty well.

Anybody else tried this stuff in a hammock?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

Anybody else tried this stuff in a hammock?
    Yes, closed cell foam pads work better as pads in hammocks. The specified R-Values for Reflectix are funny numbers. R-Value is a measure of conductive heat transfer and those funny spec R-Values include some combination of radiant heat transfer. Reflectix excels for radiant heat transfer and is not quite as good as closed cell foam pads for conductive heat transfer. For a hammock pad you are dealing with conductive heat transfer and not radiant heat transfer. Bubble wrap by itself can be compared to closed cell foam pads with large air pockets, which compare unfavorably with closed cell foam pads with smaller air pockets. Both Relectix and bubble wrap will work as hammock pads, just not as good as closed cell foam pads. But if the price is right and that is what you want to use, why not, it will work.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like to use my truck windshield sunshade in the summer time when CC pad is too much. I assume this would be the same.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i seems that both sgt rock & the jacks (JRB) have tried the bubble type sheets for hammock insulation too.
    and if i'm not mistaken, they determined that there are better alternatives for staying warm.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    i bought a $0.99 foil bubble car window screen at my local auto parts store clearence bin. its just the right size for my hammocks and is super warm

I was at Campers World the other day and they have a roll of stuff that looks just like Reflectix. And there were different sizes gererally about 30" wide and 48"-70" long. I think the price was about $10.00-$12.00 Just passing some info along. tnhillbilly

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I use the "16 wide bubble/foil from HD. ($16) I have slept out down to 18 deg. three times so far. (Hope to get out in colder stuff) I took two pieces of the 16" material, 60" long, taped the pieces together with heavy clear packing tape ONLY at the middle 12" inches of the joint, cut a gentle curve from the that center joint of the two pieces to about 4" from the along untaped joining edge, (center towards outside) and then turned it upside down, and taped the curved edges together. It comes out shaped like a canoe. Next, reinforce the two ends with tape, and, punch a couple of holes to attach 30" of "1/8 elastic cord (scavanged from all my other equiptment) to each side of the pad at each end, so it will pull thru the ends of the HH Expedition, along with the under pad. (like the underpad) Also, I reinforced the two points at the sides where the little loop cords are, (the small loops) for the underpad, and, ran these to also out to attach with the other side loops of the underpad. This goes on TOP of the underpad, but, under the sleeping bag. It will fold in half, and roll up to next to nothing. With a -15 down bag, and my coat under the bag, it all stays put nicely, and is toasty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast