Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Stiff Spectra

Hey - I've noticed that the garda hitch only holds on stiff cord that I've used. It was fine with the spectra from my HH BULA and the other stiff spectra I have, but the BPL Air Core slipped. Now I need more cord...I'm looking for something like the HH BULA stuff but it's hard to tell from online descriptions whether it's the stiff spectra or just the flexible spectra core stuff. Have y'all ordered something similar to the stiff kind I'm talking about? (Or can you really understand what I'm saying by "stiff?")

I know there are a gazillion threads out there on all the different kinds of cords...didn't see any that directly address this question, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Garda hitch equals girth hitch? If so, double it and make it a prussik and it might hold. On climbing ropes the prussik cord should be half to no more than two-thirds the diameter of the rope it is tied to.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    (Garda is not the same as a girth hitch). Jeff, I've noticed that the garda holds better with biners, specifically the fish hook shaped ones, I think its the tighter radius that helps. So with rings and spyderline which is what I use, its important to make sure the knot is dressed right, don't let the second loop slip back over the first one, otherwise when your get in you can get that slow sag as the garda slips. Of course you can always throw a half hitch after you get it adjusted (like the people here talk about doing with webbing and rings).

You probably already know this, but if your use just one ring, the munter mule hitch also works well, the only thing is you lose about a half inch of tension when the knot flips around when its loaded (when you get in the hammock).

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been looking for the elusive HH ULBA stiff Spectra for a while. I even contacted HH, but I never got a reply. I love that stuff, but all I have had to use is what I salvaged from my HH when I went to webbing. My ring buckle supports are made from the stiff HH stuff, and it's my favorite set.

I would be interested in finding a source.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    the covered spectra is alot stiffer than the uncovered single braid spectra.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I got 2.8 spiderline from Annapolis at 1200lb tensile strength. Its pretty stiff. They had bigger and I would imagine its stiffer still. The 2.8 isn't as stiff as my HH spectra but it is thinner.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Jazilla - can you give me a link? "Spiderline" isn't bringing anything up in the aps search. I even did a google site: search and nothing came back. Thanks.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276768.asp

Spyderline

I am trying the paraloc on this site. It is supposed to have zero sheath slippage. I will update when I get it next week

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e277765.asp Paraloc cord info. Looks like it will be good for the garda hitch.
    Last edited by hangnout; 12-31-2007 at 20:57.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I got some extremely stiff 2mm spectra at Sunrift Adventures last week. 5 cents per foot, I think. Just call them and they'll mail it to you.

Ask for Jerry and tell him Frank Looper sent you. It won't get you a better price, but they need to know that their customers send them more customers! They are a fantastic non-chain to deal with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast