DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings

Tarp Colors

Getting ready to go buy some Ripstop and wondered. Looked like to me that all the major manufacturers colors of tarps are earth tone Green, grey, camo, maybe some blues.

Don't see a Hennessy in a Red or Yellow option.

I can guess that it's just trying to blend into the environment, but, around here we have guys wearing Orange vests that still get shot dead center during Deer season. Wouldn't a High Vis color be better? Bug netting of course will be black No-Seeum, you gotta be able to see through it, but I'm thinking Red or Yellow for the tarp. Even those will dis-appear in certain locations during the fall.

I know, and it's been said over on motorcycle forums that I've read, airplane forums, buy what YOU like and tell the rest to go jump. I just want to make sure I don't break some rule, though frankly I can't think of a 'No bright colors' rule that I've read anywhere.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Airplanes crash, cars crash, hikers fall or get lost and die, hunters get shot, accidents happen. Does that mean you won't fly or drive??

If a bright color gives you piece of mind, go for it.

I don't see any hikers while hunting. I have seen a few hunters during a group hang (Hoosier 2010), they stopped and chatted and went on there way. Very friendly. Most state and federal lands will have designated no hunting areas. If your area has these, go there. Hunting season around here last two weeks for the most part. Deer hunting is a big time event here in Michigan.

If you "have" to hike in known hunting areas wear orange, sing as you hike, stick to the trails. Most hunters will travel back in the woods away from any established trail.
    It's not impossible to find "safe" zones. Most established campgrounds will be posted "no hunting". Know your local seasons, and do trips around these seasons or find a safe area.
    Find some private land?
    If a blaze orange tarp eases your mind, by all means, do it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Perhaps I stressed hunting too much, which I do or used to. It's 3 hours to my preferred Pheasant digs, so I haven't done that in years.

Just pretty much what I thought, do what floats your boat.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    and don't forget to post pics.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Yeah, one of the prevailing mottos around here is Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH). If you're into DIY, you can get bright colored silnylon from Noah Lamport for $3/yard.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Images
    I have always been partial to off white/ super light gray tarps.
    I like the way my flash light bounces off them at night lighting the whole area under the tarp. Makes organizing for the evening much easier.

If you're not trying to blend in, then why not just fly a blaze orange flag near your earth-tone tarp? Has to work better than trying to fly a camo flag next to a blaze orange tarp...

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    the only advice against bright colors that I can recall is over at (oddly enough) LNT -leave no trace; they advocate earthtones and such so that your presence will not spoil the 'illusion' of wilderness for other back-country participants. Naturally this quickly falls prey to safety concerns, and also the bigbox 'fashion colors for the season' - folks that spend 400$+ on a jacket usually want others to see them wearing it...
    HYOH, YMMV, free advice is worth the price, etc.!
    KM (who already haz a blaze orange tarp, but is working on a brown one also..)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not a thing wrong with bright colors if that's how you want to roll.

I had a hunter not more than a 100' from my camp one early morning during opening day for gun season in Florida. I was less than pleased that I wasn't very visible that morning. If I would have been accidentally shot, it would not have been the hunter's fault, but mine. A bright tarp isn't at all a bad thing depending on the circumstances.

Brian at OES used to have some bright orange sil. I gave a lot of thought to ordering a tarp made from it for exactly the reason given above. HF member Jazilla made a yellow tarp that I'm pretty sure can be seen from the ISS on a clear day. Pictures of the yellow tarp can be seen here.

I personally have a clear tarp that I think is fun to take out on trips. Point is, a tarp's only job is to keep you dry. Everything else is just window dressing. Hang Your Own Tarp!

Clearly cool:
    Pay no attention to Genuine Draft. She was mad I wouldn't let her hang her hammock until I got pictures of the tarp. LOL!

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    you can get bright colored silnylon from Noah Lamport for $3/yard.

PF
    Ahhhh, added to the bookmarks thankee.

[quote=OutandBack]I like the way my flash light bounces off them at night lighting the whole area under the tarp[\quote]

Dual purpose, good thinking there for photography purposes. Not that I take many photos it would be a good advantage. A light colored tarp in summer around here would probably help reflect heat instead of the lovely heat generated by a dark colored one. Guess if you were out in the winter it could be nice to go the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan
    the only advice against bright colors that I can recall is over at (oddly enough) LNT -leave no trace;
    Had not given consideration that LNT meant be invisible while present, don't mean that as a negative statement. I am coming from a motorcycling mindset. Not the one where they try to chrome every little thing. But one from trying to be more visible. Extra lights up front with a modulating headlight and tail light and such. People still pull out in front of you, just not quite as much. I can see being the other way while camping out on the trail. Course, most of my near future camping will be on the side of a runway or inside a KOA type place, I might get out on the trail though. Hey, my hammock can always be colorful, just hiding away under a tarp.

[quote=Cannibal]Ahhhh, now THATS what I'm talking about. Yellow is my second favorite color. Guess what my first is?

I'd post a picture of my wife and son, but she's touchy on that subject. But I'm a confirmed GingerLover.

All good food for thought guys, thanks.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 01-07-2011 at 14:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast