Hammock
    Hennessy, only one I've ever had
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

NE Alabama Trailwork & Overnighter

January 15-16, 2011
    If anyone is interested. We will be re blazing Skyway Loop Trail. Starting at Adams Gap thru to Turnipseed. It is our intentions to make it an overnighter while we're at it. Final details will be posted as time gets a little closer next week. For now plan on leaving heading out Sat morning January 15th, not too late. Will keep an eye on the forecast. If it calls for rain or subfreezing lows, will reschedule. Just kinda getting a general consensus on who wants to hang out with some old guys. All hangers & ground dwellers welcome.
    Skyway loop is part of the Cheaha Mtn/Talladega NF located in NE Alabama.

For details go to this link:
    http://www.alatrails.com/forum/index...ic,2696.0.html

Carl W, [email protected]

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Boy Scouts will be there then...

Quote Originally Posted by Firedog View Post
    January 15-16, 2011
    If anyone is interested. We will be re blazing Skyway Loop Trail. Starting at Adams Gap thru to Turnipseed. It is our intentions to make it an overnighter while we're at it. Final details will be posted as time gets a little closer next week. For now plan on leaving heading out Sat morning January 15th, not too late. Will keep an eye on the forecast. If it calls for rain or subfreezing lows, will reschedule. Just kinda getting a general consensus on who wants to hang out with some old guys. All hangers & ground dwellers welcome.
    Skyway loop is part of the Cheaha Mtn/Talladega NF located in NE Alabama.

For details go to this link:
    http://www.alatrails.com/forum/index...ic,2696.0.html

Carl W, [email protected]
    Firedog, I will be up there with a group of Boy Scouts. We are doing the whole loop. Friday night we will be camping outside of the Turnipseed camp, Saturday we will be hiking (clockwise) and will stop at the first water past Adams gap; Sunday will take us to the falls shelter; Monday will be the short hike out.

We may be intersted in helping, but that may be beyond our abilities, as we will have mostly 12-13 year olds, and we have fairly long days. 10 day forecast has rain on Saturday (still far out and will change daily with updated computer models).

Still, let us know if there is anything we can do to help (or stay out of the way). Can you offer any good camping spots (with water) either just before or after Adams Gap? PM me if you would prefer not to discuss this on the thread.

See you that weekend!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BS:
    Are you going to be camping outside the TS Camp where we had the HOD hang last month. If so we may come up Friday night and do an overnighter with ya.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Man, I wish I could get away that weekend, sounds like fun.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    bigbamaguy & Buffalo Skipper

The logistics are not final but, our intentions are a clockwise route starting at Adams Gap camping between there & Turnipseed TH. Probably at Hubbard Creek We have been granted permission by the NFS to repaint only so it should be fairly easy.
    Adams Gap to Chinabee 6.78 miles
    Chinabee to Turnipseed 3.58 miles
    As far as water,
    There is plenty of water all over the loop with as much rain as we have had. The only place you won't see much is way up on the mountain on the first leg of it but there is a stream between the Chinnabee/Pinhoti crossing and Skyway when hiking south on the Pinhoti toward Adams Gap. You can put a cash of water at Adams if you think you will need it.
    On Skyway Loop from Adams Gap,
    There is a great campsite on your right at Barbaree creek, the first creek you cross after leaving Adams Gap. There is also a good spot at Hubbard creek before you get back to Chinabee.

Start time: Adams Gap 9am, 1/15/2011
    Last edited by Firedog; 01-08-2011 at 01:16.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I will not be able to make it to help, sorry..........I have to help family with moving on Saturday and Sunday. I will be able to help the last weekend of the month if you do cancel this weekend. Keep us posted please and in the future.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    As far as water,
    There is plenty of water all over the loop with as much rain as we have had. The only place you won't see much is way up on the mountain on the first leg of it but there is a stream between the Chinnabee/Pinhoti crossing and Skyway when hiking south on the Pinhoti toward Adams Gap.
    Thanks Firedog. That is what I was looking for. I saw that stream on the Pinhoti between and Adams gap, but the map indicated it was seasonal, so I did not know what our prospects would be. That is about 6.5 miles (?) into our hike, but is very reassuring to know it is flowing, even a little. Does it cross the trail? and how big is it?

You can put a cash of water at Adams if you think you will need it.
    Of course, I had never even considered this. A good option for us as we will have a basecamp group at the top of Cheaha to assist if we need it. But if as you say, streams are full, this should not be a problem.

On Skyway Loop from Adams Gap,
    There is a great campsite on your right at Barbaree creek, the first creek you cross after leaving Adams Gap. There is also a good spot at Hubbard creek before you get back to Chinabee.
    How far from Adams Gap is this campsite at Barbaree Creek? This is about where the group was planning to spend the night. The map also showed an unnamed stream in this area as intermittent/seasonal. Is we talking about the same stream/campsite?

Thanks for all the info! Weather reports (weather.com) seem to be improving for the weekend every day I look. Let's hope it keeps on this way. Little worse than cold and wet scouts on the first day of a 3 day hike.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    With 4-8" of snow predicted for this Sunday & Monday water won't be a problem.
    How far from Adams Gap is this campsite at Barbaree Creek? This is about where the group was planning to spend the night. The map also showed an unnamed stream in this area as intermittent/seasonal. Is we talking about the same stream/campsite?
    Barbaree is not named on some maps and is seasonal. It goes away in dry weather. It is about .7 to .8 miles north of Adams gap. Should take about 45 mins to reach.

Here is a step by step guide posted by one of our friends, Buck.

South Cheaha Wilderness Loop
    Pinhoti / Chinnabee / Skyway Loop Trail

Mileage
    0 AL 281 CROSSING / PARKING AREA
    .2 TURNIPSEED HUNTER'S CAMP ~ LC
    .4 CREEK CROSSING ~ LC, RW
    1.1 SPRING CROSSING ~ SW
    2 LITTLE CANEY HEAD CAMPSITE ~ 2100' ~ LC, SW
    2.1 SPRING CROSSING ~ 2120' ~ SW
    2.2 CAMPSITE ~ 2120' ~ LC
    2.3 ROCKY TOP 5 ~ 2160'
    2.5 SPRING CROSSING ~ 2140' ~ SW
    3.2 – 3.8 3 CAMPSITES ~ 2100' +/- ~ LC
    3.6 HEAVEN / ROCKY TOP 4 ~ 2135' SC
    3.7 PEARLY GATES ~ 2050'
    4.3 STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN ~ 1575'
    4.3 SIGN BOARD ~ 1575'
    4.5 SIGN BOARD / ROAD BED ~ 1460'
    4.8 SPRING CROSSING ~ 1360' ~ SW
    4.9 CAMPSITE ~ 1380' ~ LC
    6.8 – 8.1 6 SPRING CROSSINGS ~ 1360' +/- ~ SW
    7.9 CHEAHA WILDERNESS BOUNDARY / INFO BOARD ~ 1500'
    8 ADAMS GAP TRAILHEAD ~ 1444'
    8.2 PINHOTI TRAIL INTERSECTION ~1400'
    8.3 SPRING CROSSING ~ SW
    8.9 CCC CHIMNEY
    9 CAMPSITE ~ LC, RW
    10 ROAD BED CROSSING
    11 ROAD BED CROSSING
    11.9 HUBBARD CREEK CROSSING ~ RW
    12 CAMPSITE ~ LC, RW
    12.5 ROAD BED CROSSING
    12.7 ROAD BED CROSSING
    13.3 TRAIL SIGN / SKYWAY LOOP TRAIL INTERSECTION ~ RW
    13.5 DEVIL'S DEN FOOT BRIDGE
    13.7 CAMPSITE ~ LC, RW
    14.2 BEETLE CUT
    15.5 CHEAHA FALLS SHELTER ~ TS
    15.7 CHEAHA FALLS ~ LC, RW
    16.2 SKYWAY MOTORWAY CROSSING
    16.5 SPRING CROSSING ~ SW
    16.7 AL 281 CROSSING / PARKING AREA

If you add in the loop trail around Lake Chinabee it will put you at about 18 miles total.
    If you don't have this, this link is great:http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html
    Last edited by Firedog; 01-08-2011 at 19:17.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Firedog. Thanks for the info. I have been pondering it since you posted, and it is most helpful.

I have heard Cheaha SP is closed due to ice on the roads. Can you confirm what conditions are up there, and how soon it may improve (temps for the rest of the week are all below freezing...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Firedog. Thanks for the info. I have been pondering it since you posted, and it is most helpful.

I have heard Cheaha SP is closed due to ice on the roads. Can you confirm what conditions are up there, and how soon it may improve (temps for the rest of the week are all below freezing...)
    Based on the webcam shot from the restaurant, it looks pretty rough on the top.

http://www.abc3340.com/Global/Category.asp?c=192129
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast