Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    The thought behind no continuous ridgeline is that you don't want rope rubbing your previously waterproof seams. That and the weight.

This other camp maintain they've got it better by being able to move the tarp along the ridgeline. The rubbing is solved by running the ridgeline over the tarp. In snow conditions, shug has mentioned in his video liking to run the ridge under the tarp to prevent collapse. (weight issue solved by using crazy light crazy strong cord)

TH
    you could have the same prussic adjustment without a seperate ridgeline. you could attach a cord to each tree like you would for a standard setup, and then a prussic to those, there's no reason it would need to be a single continuous line. the hard part i think about using prussics, is doing it so they don't slip any, (which is why i don't use them) i know my knots will stay where i tie them even when there's alot of force on everything from being pitched nice and tight.

"if tensioned properly" (with my tarps), the continuous rl could be slack under the tarp anyway, as you want all the tension on the structural RL seam of the WB tarp, however if most tension is on the seperate RL instead, the RL seam of the tarp may not be tight enough, and the tarp may not fully perform. same thing goes for folks using shockcord or any elastic tarp tensioner on the ground corners. the tarp will perform best when there's a good 30-40 LBS of force on each ground corner guylines,(i'm just guessing on the force, but it does great when pitched pretty darn tight) this stretches the fabric so it doesn't sag in the middle of the night, and keeps it taut so it performs better in wind. i'd bet 95% of those using elastic tensioners aren't pitching their tarp tight enough for max performance.

i've heard alot of folks say centering their tarp without a continuous RL to slide it on is difficult. i disagree with that too. most of the time you setup it isn't raining, so you'd probably set your hammock up first. say for instance you know your hammock RL is 100" and your tarp RL is 132", that's a difference of 32", (or 16" overlap at each end). just set up the first end of the tarp so it's got 16" of overlap past the end of the hammock (about mid-finger to elbow for me) and the other end will automatically be about the same. if you setup in the rain and set your tarp up first, it's just as easy if not easier. simply adjust your hammock instead of the tarp. I know all you continuous RL folks are using buckles or whoopies on your hammocks anyway so adjustment there is easy
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 01-09-2011 at 13:05.

Images
    Would short whoopies work to allow a little adjustment of the tarp from side to side?

Large loop end thru the D-rings of the tarp and small loop around the tree with the old stick/tentstake/toggle in it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    @Outandback -- I'm waiting on a superfly. I currently use this the prussik method shown in this diagram on my DIY tarp http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650

Plan to try whoopies on the superfly
    I had a pair of whoopie slings not being used -- found these little aluminum dohiggy's on some old camping gear. Put a piece of mason line around the ceramic pot to demostrate - have a prussik on that with the aluminum dohiggy & the whoopie sling hooks on the dohiggy.

If the aluminum thing doesn't seem to work I'll switch to a mini carabiner

here's a few pics of what I plan to try....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    According to the tracking notice, mine got out of Australian Customs yesterday. Should be here any day now.

Cant wait to get it and try it out.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Got mine today....!!!

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I usually tie a truckers hitch in my tie down lines for my kayak and they hold great. I'm new to hammocks but couldn't you do the same on the tie outs on the tarp? Its fully adjustable, you can get a nice tight pull, no additional hardware needed, when your done just yank them outta the line.

Still waiting on my Superfly & Blackbird also. It's kinda like being a kid again waiting for Christmas morning.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you could have the same prussic adjustment without a seperate ridgeline. you could attach a cord to each tree like you would for a standard setup, and then a prussic to those, there's no reason it would need to be a single continuous line. the hard part i think about using prussics, is doing it so they don't slip any, (which is why i don't use them) i know my knots will stay where i tie them even when there's alot of force on everything from being pitched nice and tight.

"if tensioned properly" (with my tarps), the continuous rl could be slack under the tarp anyway, as you want all the tension on the structural RL seam of the WB tarp, however if most tension is on the seperate RL instead, the RL seam of the tarp may not be tight enough, and the tarp may not fully perform. same thing goes for folks using shockcord or any elastic tarp tensioner on the ground corners. the tarp will perform best when there's a good 30-40 LBS of force on each ground corner guylines,(i'm just guessing on the force, but it does great when pitched pretty darn tight) this stretches the fabric so it doesn't sag in the middle of the night, and keeps it taut so it performs better in wind. i'd bet 95% of those using elastic tensioners aren't pitching their tarp tight enough for max performance.

i've heard alot of folks say centering their tarp without a continuous RL to slide it on is difficult. i disagree with that too. most of the time you setup it isn't raining, so you'd probably set your hammock up first. say for instance you know your hammock RL is 100" and your tarp RL is 132", that's a difference of 32", (or 16" overlap at each end). just set up the first end of the tarp so it's got 16" of overlap past the end of the hammock (about mid-finger to elbow for me) and the other end will automatically be about the same. if you setup in the rain and set your tarp up first, it's just as easy if not easier. simply adjust your hammock instead of the tarp. I know all you continuous RL folks are using buckles or whoopies on your hammocks anyway so adjustment there is easy
    I had been using a full ridgline but after reading your advice about the performance of the superfly ridgeline seam I'll try your way.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I've got a Superfly and I can also attest that the pullouts can leak a bit in heavy rain but leakage is minimal and it drips down to the edge away from the hammock.

Didn't know about the ridgeline thing either, I'm going to have to give that a try too. Could save on weight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My superfly arrived a few days ago, and I've set it up a few times as well. I use the 2 part ridgeline, and it works great. I used knots a few time, but I had a couple of figure 9's, and they make setup and adjustments a breeze.

All I do is have a bowline in one end of the rope, pull the rest through it around the tree, and then through the tarp rings, and tighten with the figure 9's. I'm able to get a nice tight pitch.

After doing it this way, I can't see why I'd want to use a continuous ridgeline with this tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12