Thread: ix and down tq

ix and down tq

so i was thinking that i could make a three season quilt using down sandwiched between two layers of ix, buy making little small pillows of down and then stiching thoose to the bottom layer of ix, if i wanted to go that route how much loft would i need and is there some reason why i should not try this at all........
    Smitty 2.0

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is that the down might pass through the IX. Not really sure on that, somebody in the know will chime in.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Not saying this would work on other levels but, one thing is that you don't want to put the down between you and the IX. The down would be soaked by morning and useless as insulation. IX can only breathe through the needle holes made when stitching the srim onto the foam - not enough to pass the vapor from your body.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i was thinking about this a year ago here is why i didn't do it
    you mean how big of baffles do you need not loft...
    most 3 season UQ have 2 inch baffles and small chambers maybe 5inch wide
    with a diff. cut this should give you 2.5 inch of loft

IX does not breath that well... so condensation could get in your UQ and
    get the down wet

also IX does not pack down as well as ripstop so thats something to think about
    IX is not as strong at ripstop so it can be ripped easier so there is more care needed when making and using one

I know stormcrow made one a year ago to play around with and if i remember
    he said it didn't work as well as he wanted it to ... so you might want to ask him even
    look at it this way...if it doesn't work out you can always make a ripstop shell and put the down it that
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    I recently read about the idea of sewing pleats in to the IX to create an air channel. It occurred to me that if you were using two layers, you could sew 1/4 inch pleats into each layer, with the pleats facing each other to form air pockets (imitating the effect of down). In this case, I was thinking that the first layer of IX would be pleated running up and down, with the second layer pleated running side to side. The spacing of the pleats is another unknown - I was thinking abut four inches. Who really knows? It is all just in the thought stage. At any rate, skip the down.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've been tempted to try sprinkling a bit of down between IX layers with full longitudinal pleats. I would be easy to sew the pleats together... or just tack them together in a few places. I do not think the down would go through the IX. I believe it would tend to stay put, and slide around less than with nylon. It would not take much down to make a difference!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

macentyre hit on what i was talking about except i was thinking sewing small little down filled ripstop pillows, line them up on another layer of ripstop which is then sewed to the ix, then all layers would be placed in a shell.
    Smitty 2.0

• + New Posts