Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Tarp Techniques

I thought everyone always tried for a taut, perfectly horizontal ridgeline on their tarps, I got this older post by warbonnetguy:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...12&postcount=6
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy
    my tarp guylines always go above (maybe only 1/2" though) my hammock suspension on the tree, this way it never rubs. i run my rl guylines at about the same angle as the hammock suspension (maybe slightly less since i want the tarp a little above the netting). if you crank the tarps rl guylines tight, then of course the tarp will be very high with that method. by introducing a little sag into the tarps rl guylines, i can position the rl of the tarp at whatever height i want. leaving a little sag in the rl lines is nice because just like a hammock w/rl, pulling it horizontal will result in drop once the hammock is weighted, or in this case once you tighten the ground corners. leaving it looser will mean that the height it is before and after you stake out the corners will be colser to the same, and you won't have to try and calculate how much it's going to drop when you tighten things down (or nearly as much so)
    I hadn't come across this before, the idea of having the tarp ridgeline tie-outs being non-horizontal. His method would also seem to solve another problem of the hammock suspension rubbing on the tarp.

Any others do something similar?

~Dan

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    IMHO, (all though this a good site with some good people) don't buy into everything you read here, unless you enjoy overcomplicating what should be simple.

Just attach some shock cord or surgical tubing to your stakes or tarp and attach your guy lines to that. Stretch them a little when you stake them out, or when you tighten the guylines. Then you'll pretty much maintain the same amount of taught ness on the tarp at all times.

If you keep it simple and leave the mumbo-jumbo at home, you’ll find hammocking far more enjoyable.

Hope this helps friend!
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've hung my tarp many a way ...... sometimes crisp and tight. On longer trips..... as the days go by I just toss it up and let it hang as it may.
    Warbonnetguys technique is a valid way to do it. Not my normal way but I have done it that way.
    Just reading that paragraph written on his explanation made my head swirl.
    Once I just tossed my tarp over my hammock ridgeline and crawled in to sleep. No wind.... bit of condensation but the weather was mild. I was just too tired to care.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Once I just tossed my tarp over my hammock ridgeline and crawled in to sleep. No wind.... bit of condensation but the weather was mild. I was just too tired to care.
    Shug
    I hear ya shug...been there a time or two myself...the older I get, the more it seems to happen!
    It’s what we believe that makes us, as individuals, who we are. Suppress that and we all become the same…"sterile and boring." "Sir William Orville Martin"

• + New Posts