WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Love my Feathered Friends goosefeet. Can put up with some serious wet and cold during the day, but NEED to sleep at night. Warm toes initiate restful shutdown. Cost was a factor, till I figured out what was keeping me from getting out there Skip some meals during the week and have warm feet forever, & paid for in a month

Out of curiosity, what is your sleeping bag rated to CBS? I've been seeing how low I can comfortably go with the same setup.
    Last edited by smith29; 01-09-2011 at 21:50.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    CBS,

Make Bill Fornshell's:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...=214312#214312

Not his original thread, but a link to it is in there. I included it because another guy copied his design and you get to see two options. You can do this for cheap to nearly free if you buy some polyfill from Joann's or Wally World.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    sounds to me you should be more prepared next time.....

what was your sleeping bag rated at ?

a hot water bottle could have helped you...but if your bag is a 30 degree bag and it's 7 degrees out...not much is going to help
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Down booties were definitely the cure for me. Also good advice on changing into fresh, dry socks. Make sure they are loose fitting so they don't cut off circulation.
    big point there...."Loose Fittin"...for sleeping socks they should be loose fitting as you can find..if/when you get down booties be sure they are loose fitting as well...a half size to 1 full size larger...try 'em one with your wool socks..

..another tip for 'ya is to cut the sleeves off and old fleece pull-over...sew one end shut...if 'ya what put a bit of elastic in the opposite end pull them on ..if you're using a 3/4 U/Q..cut long enough to get to your knees...if you're using a full length U/Q ...cut 'em shorter...

PS....I keep a pair of 100% just for sleeping...

Hammock
    HH Exp Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webing
    Does Cold Toe syndrome happen worse in a hammock than it does on the ground? I got frostbite when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts so my hands and feet get cold really fast and stay cold. I have trouble with my feet in 40 degree bag on the gound starting around 50 or so and am just wondering how much if any I need to worry about this in a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    I've had this problem as well, as far as I can tell it's usually caused by wet socks. I put on dry socks for sleeping in, but I seem to sweat from my feet even when I'm not overheated, so I have a lot of trouble with cold feet in winter.

I also notice that my feet and hands get cold easily (and first), so if I'm pushing the limits of my gear I tend to end up with frozen toes. Haven't figured out a solution 100% yet but I've got some new down booties for the next trip, and I'm going to try foot powder to keep my feet dry longer.

-Jay

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9X9
    Insulation
    Wiggy's UQ & SB
    Suspension
    straps, PL on RL
    Images
    little hotties handwarmers. $2. Just use the handwarmer packs, NOT the footwarmers. The foot warmers are designed for very low oxygen levels inside boots so will get too hot in the footbox. They are good for ice fishing or skiing though. As others said, even slightly damp socks will freeze.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've used booties filled with polar guard or hollow fill. They compressed pretty well, and re-lofted more than enough to work inside a sleeping bag. Impervious to condensation and insulated when damp or even wet. I use to have a very nice Snow Lion polar guard system. Bag, Jacket, Booties.

Fiber fill is a bit heavy but a pair of the booties certainly wouldn't kill you weight-wise, and the price might be a little more attractive.

I was able to do 0 temps. going ground in a tent on a 3/4 pad, with the above set up. Wool hat, buff, Duofold, and gloves.

Dry, thick, loose fitting socks, make a big difference too. A piece of heavy duty aluminum foil can make a nice warmer pouch for a pair of dry socks, or a "dryer" for a pair of wet ones, if you have or can get a fire going. As long as you don't put it directly in the fire, you can get them very warm and dry w/o worry of burning them up or having to watch them every second.

A pair of hot socks and maybe a water bottle filled with hot water tucked in the foot of your bag or foot box 5 or 10 minutes before you hit the sack, could make CTS a thing of the past, if you don't want to spend the coin for booties. Sure won't cost too much

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I often have cold feet. I've found that once they're cold, it's really hard to warm them up...

Do you wear socks to bed? I do, but found that I had to get oversized socks, or my feet got cold. The compression of the socks

I love the idea of the toe cozies, they could be made from almost anything, including IX, fleece, etc.... It wouldn't take but 5 minutes on the sewing machine to make some warm fleece socks. Just make them really big so they don't impact your circulation.

I made some fleece booties from an old thread here. I used Insul-brite to double layer the sole. They're quite warm. Recently, I saw some down booties for sale (REI?) for sub $30...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast