DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Sewing Machine Acting Up

My wife has a very basic sewing machine I've been tinkering with. If I need something fancier, my mom has one I can borrow (for actual gear construction, for example) but I figure for just getting the hang of things, this basic machine works fine.

It only has one seam pattern, varying from straight ----- to a wide zig-zag /\/\/\/\ (there must be a better name for that pattern

Anyway, when I set it to zig-zag fairly widely, the needle moves correctly, punches holes normally, but the seam ends up looking like _ _ _ _ _ and I can see the thread pulling out of the right side with each stroke. I assume this means the lower bobbin thread isn't catching correctly, but I don't know what could cause it to only catch on one side. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I am still new to sewing myself but is the thread up through the bottom and bottom to begin with . you know up through the plate and pulled behind the presser foot.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Yes, it's threaded properly. Its sewing normally on only one side of the zigzag, so its catching the lower thread just fine and making a good seam, its just not doing anything on the other side. It's also tangling frequently, so I'm thinking there is something wrong with the lower bobbin.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    the stitch is actually called a zigzag stich, so don't try to find another name
    the stitch you see is only on the top or bottom, or no stitch at all?

when you sew in a straight stitch does it work? if so can you reduce the width of the zigzag? if so what happens ? does it work?
    before trying to find out what is wrong we need more info!

is the machine threaded in the proper way, how is the top thread tension with the presser foot down, you should have more tension with the foot down and little or no tension when the foot is up!
    is the bottom bobbin installed the right way? if your not sure flip it over and try again!
    you can alway try with a new needle, which reminds me, some machines are really finicky, if the needle's hole is not pointed in the right direction, it will not work!
    I hope this helps!!!
    good luck

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You are probably looking at the timing or something along that line. You don't say what the machine is so I am assuming it is a Walmart special type of of machine. They do not always hold the adjustments the way they should. I would suggest taking it to a mechanic to have the mechanism checked. Something is fouled up in the shuttle portion of the workings. The bobbin itself would seem to be functioning properly. But there is something in the mechanics that is misaligned.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    It's a Brother LS-1717, definitely a bargain machine. I'll practice up a bit with straight stitching on this machine and then I'll use my mom's monster for any actual fabrication.

I haven't touched a sewing machine since 8th grade, when they made me take a home-ec sewing class. So far, I haven't stitched my finger to the cloth, so I must remember at least a little bit!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    There are two things that make the zig zag work.
    As you adjust the knob to zig zag, there is a cam and shaft at the top of the machine that moves the needle left and right.

Under the foot, theres a arm (crankshaft) that controls the bobbin. The arm has a lobe and sliding crankshaft which shifts the bobbin left and right to follow the needle.

Adjust the knob to zig zag, open the area around the foot (may need to remove a few screws, or look thru the area you insert the bobbin) and turn the wheel by hand. If the bobbin just turns and does shift left and right, part of the crankshaft or lobe is/may be missing.

Periodic maintenance is critical for things to work right. Give all the gears and shafts a good cleaning, remove all the fuzzies and bits of thread. Add a drop of lube to all points of contact. Turn the wheel by hand to insure you get all the crucial areas. Also work the machine thru its stitch selections (straight, zig, etc.., and turn) Remove the bobbin and the bobbin holder/race, clean and lube here as well. All this will involve removing a top panel and bottom panel on the machine. Something as simple as a spiderweb or dust bunny may be clogging the works.
    Take the machine in if your not comfortable with doing these steps.

After a clean and lube, the problem has not solved itself...
    My guess is the lobe is missing, it looks like a small square of steel.

If you open up the bottom of the machine the square part may be laying there, and you can install it again. If all fails, take it in for repair.

A clean and lube will solve a lot of problems normally.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Gargoyle, I couldn't justify taking this machine in for repair. At most it was $75 new. I'll watch Craigslist and maybe score a really nice one cheap for my serious gear fabrication. Like I said, I've got a decent one available in a pinch, so I'm not too worried about it, but I will tear this thing down and give it a good once over.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO it would be worth having that machine serviced. Here is my reasoning. If you get a Craigslist machine it will very likely need some servicing as well. You will then have invested in the machine + a service. Whereas if you have this machine serviced you will be ahead some money. It is possible the craigslist score would not require service, but like any used piece of machinery I always go into those purchases assuming there will be some after purchase cost. Just a thought.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Just for giggles, did you try a new needle? I had all kinds of weirdness when I was using a bent one...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts