Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why not Underpads?

Hey guys,

Been lurking around soaking up information, so pardon me if this is a blatantly obvious newguy question, but-

-Why don't I see any underPADS? Why not link 3 thermarests together and hang them by some shock cord underneath the hammock? Seems like it would insulate well enough. Is this idea not popular because it is bulky?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Fitting pads to the underside of a hammock is a nightmare.

Some like using them inside the hammock itself, or between the layers of a double layer hammock. But ultimately, they just aren't as comfortable for many folks as using underquilts. Not to mention the bulk and lack of breathability.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Any available
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    Interesting question. I am very new to this. I would dare to say that an under mat (um) would be much less insulating than an under quilt (uq).

In order to facilitate a 'better fit' would it be possible to construct a chain mail of mat? I'm thinking a bunch of 6x6 pieces connected to each other with cordage. That would allow them to be flexible enough to match the underside of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDR4Bama View Post
    Interesting question. I am very new to this. I would dare to say that an under mat (um) would be much less insulating than an under quilt (uq).

In order to facilitate a 'better fit' would it be possible to construct a chain mail of mat? I'm thinking a bunch of 6x6 pieces connected to each other with cordage. That would allow them to be flexible enough to match the underside of the hammock.
    There was an interesting thread about a "lattice" woven with 2" strips cut from a blue ccf pad. It was purported to conform to the shape of the hammock better than a plain pad. I made one using strips cut from evazote foam, reflectix, and carpet underlayment, then tapered the ends of the strips to get more of a concave shape. Project needs further work. It has the potential to be a lower-cost alternative to down underquilts, but at this point underquilts are far superior (and insulated hammocks are better still.)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Any available
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    WV,
    Care to share more about insulted hammocks? I've been thinking of some options for a two layer hammock. I guess that would ultimately lead to a winter and summer hammock versus an everyday one that I add or subtract from depending on the weather. I like the idea especially if setup would be easier/quicker.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    This thread reminds me again of the need for a 'hammocking' time-line showing the evolution of insulation(s) and their applications/successes/failures/costs/stowability.
    There could just as easily be a time-line for hammocks themselves, tarps, suspensions.
    Dehoja where are you with your most excellent graphics?
    JDR4BAMA, at first I thought you might be re-inventing the wheel but then the chain mell and then WV's project caught my eye. Now coat those individual pieces with ceramic and who knows! Now if you could get this package as small as a typical z-rest you see strapped to some packs then viability is had.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    . . . a "lattice" woven with 2" strips . . .
    then tapered the ends of the strips to get more of a concave shape. Project needs further work.
    . . . lower-cost alternative to down underquilts,
    but at this point underquilts are far superior (and insulated hammocks are better still.)
    Cheaper but it seems labour intensive.
    WV,
    Care to share more about insulted hammocks?
    I've been thinking of some options for a two layer hammock. .
    I like how the foot end of the Z-Liner,
    by Clark for their NX-150, 250,
    is cut to flow with the shape of the hammock while tied up and layed in.
    Foot end to the left:

If one was to buy 2-3 yds of climaSheild or what have you,
    the same in nylon, you could hold it up under the hammock
    and trace a line perimetering the hammock,
    cut it all out sew one layer of nylon to one side of the Insulator,
    and around that perimetor sew velcro,
    and the opposite velcro to the hammock . . .
    you'd have a nice addition to the unit that would probobly work better than some pad . . . IMO

cost would be a little bit higher . . . likely not much

Climasheild 2-3 yards = about $32-$48
    nylon about $10-$20
    velcro about $3-$6

And if you don't have a sewing machine and neather does your sis.
    a fella can always hand sew it

Neddle and thread about $1.75

Finished project: PRICELESS

Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twyggy View Post
    Hey guys,

Been lurking around soaking up information, so pardon me if this is a blatantly obvious newguy question, but-

-Why don't I see any underPADS? Why not link 3 thermarests together and hang them by some shock cord underneath the hammock? Seems like it would insulate well enough. Is this idea not popular because it is bulky?

Thanks!
    Well, there is one UNDER PAD, and it has been in use for at least 3 years: The Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter.
    It uses an OPEN cell foam pad, which is shaped to the hammock and held some what snug against the hammock by an elastic suspension. For some of us, it works pretty well, all things considered.

But, as it is OCF, it will not work on the ground or inside the hammock. It will be compressed by body weight and be useless.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pads don't really insulate "less" than an UQ...just differently. You can be just as warm with pads as you can UQs, but some people don't find them as comfortable.

Here are some examples of insulated hammocks:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock2.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock.html

Re: making a pad breathable, a couple folks have tried punching some holes in the CCF. It helped a bit, but also decreased the insulation some. I think the best way to use a pad is with a Segmented Pad Extender.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    WV,
    Care to share more about insulated hammocks? I've been thinking of some options for a two layer hammock. I guess that would ultimately lead to a winter and summer hammock versus an everyday one that I add or subtract from depending on the weather. I like the idea especially if setup would be easier/quicker.
    I was going to say that we were getting off-topic ("under-pads") but others have joined in, so here goes:

First, as Bradley points out, a lattice pad is labor-intensive. However, I shudder to think how many hours (weeks, months, years ) have gone into my current winter setup with down insulated hammock, climashield/Insultex insulated hammock sock, sil & Pertex hammock tent, and sil tarp. It has evolved, but will now stay the same for a long time while I work on other projects. Last night temps were in the low teens and I had one of the best nights sleep ever. (And I sleep cold.)

Second, Just Jeff's info is invaluable. I especially liked the summary of the warmhammock, which I hadn't noticed before. Consider it required reading.

My experience with sewing baffles to a hammock is that the nylon will stretch more than the polyester thread, and the thread may break in a few places. However, my advice is to do it anyway. The longitudinal baffles of my insulated hammock have paid the price, and it hasn't made any difference in performance. After all, consider a karo step quilt. It's a quilt with "breaks" in the baffles. If you sew the baffles with a zig-zag stitch, the thread may not break at all.

The next ripstop hammock I make will probably have cross-ways baffles, sewn with zig-zag stitch to the hammock body, then slit so the bottom can be sewn like a karo step quilt.
    [IMG][/IMG] That will greatly simplify cutting the baffles and won't seriously complicate the stitching, as the bottom can still be sewn as a continuous (no zig-zag) seam.

Good luck! Be warned that the top of the hammock will stretch under your weight, but the bottom won't, so you need to oversize the bottom surface and perhaps the baffles to compensate. Test the hammock by lying in it before you stuff it with down.
    Last edited by WV; 01-10-2011 at 10:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast