Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Images

goings on at Warbonnet

i know this is a touchy subject and this thread isn't meant to spark a big discussion, i just wanted to post the details here so there isn't a bunch of confusion later.

a few months back one of my customers (who does alot of business in asia) offered to assist me in having a batch of stuff manufactuered over there. i decided it was worth trying. i had one batch of things made in china. i was there, on-site for a little over 3 weeks, to oversee the quality control and i am happy with the finished products.

i'm not currently planing on this being my permanent production solution. as of right now it was just a one time trial run and a good learning experience. i am currently considering a few different production options for a more permanent solution for the future.

so, the import items are marked with an (i) on the website.
    those items are: silnylon edge, silnylon MJ (both with and without panel pulls) and the dl1.1 blackbird. The imported BB won't show up online till the old inventory filters through, but the tarps are on there now. fabric is slightly lighter weight so those tarp weights came down a few oz. color is similar to the current dark grey, except a few shades darker (both shades of grey are depicted in the tarp photos on my website).

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brandon,
    I think you deserve some positive credit for (a) exploring ways to reduce cost and wait time, and (b) being open and "transparent" about your process.

I'm personally not hung up on where things are made, but I'm a real stickler for quality and workmanship. All things being equal, I'd rather pay a US-based manufacturer for their product, but I don't spend a lot of time researching where things are sourced.

Thank you for sharing your efforts with us. I'll be happy so long as you can insure that whatever you sell is up to your usual high standard.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Brandon,
    I understand the competitive position you're in, but just so you know... I sure do like the work YOU do.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Nothing wrong with seeing what options are available Brandon, if it's good enough for the big names then why not.

There's a company over here called Alpkit who make some fantastic gear, they have most of their kit produced in Asia so they can keep their costs low but the quality and finish is still high end.

Hope it works out for you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Brandon, It is a bitter sweet time in the evolution of a cottage industry. When demand outweighs the owners ability to produce his product fast enough or he just plain gets overwhelmed. I applaud your efforts and openness in trying to find relief for your supply problems. I have purchased from you in the past and the quality of your work and your reputation is second to none. You stated that the quality of the imported samples meets your quality standards and that is endorsement enough for me. With that thought in mind I just placed an order for a (i) Big Mamajamba with pulls. I have no doubt that this will be a welcome addition to hammock gear collection.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I think in a perfect world we would love to see all products made here and know that we are supporting those companies, but it really is a global economy, and options have to be explored when they are presented to us. Really what I appreciate is the openess that you are displaying. So do what you have to do.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Brandon,
    Business is business...........You make a great product and deserve the ability to meet your demand. If you were there to oversee the QC, then it is still your product quality made by smaller hands. Keep up the good work.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    the truth is that there are high quality products coming out of countries like china. you could always buy cheap junk in America when things were made in America. The key is that companies need to stay on top of the quality control aspect. Set a standard and never ever go below that standard.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    A bit torn, but having also sourced out of China I understand the economics.

I am glad my BB was hand made in the US. I hope this venture works out for you Brandon.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Good on ya for the honesty...beats the snot out of damage control later. Also wonderful news that your business is prospering so.

That said I consider this a sad day (the beginning of the end for a mom & pop cottage business) while understanding the realities of your growing business. In my case, when presented with a reasonable choice, I will go to the cottage shop with North American made products. That's my honesty.

So then, since we love your work how about a few bucks more for a Brandon made custom?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast