Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cheapest Underquilt?

I just received a HH ultralight backpacker for christmas, and I need to know what the cheapest workable option is for an underquilt or non-pad insulation. thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Cheap and commercial UQ's are not used in the same sentence. Converting a used sleeping bag is probably the quickest cheapest DIY thing to do. There are plenty of resources on this forum for DIY UQ's.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The HH SuperShelter is probably the cheapest non-pad solution...it's technically an open-cell pad, but it's not a 'pad' like other hammock insulation setups. Read up on reviews at BGT, here and whiteblaze before you buy - some folks are very happy with it, others think the "four-season" aspect is oversold.

Also check out the KAQ Potomac. Blackbishop351 is still making them as far as I know. It's less expensive than the down underquilts.

DIY is always an option - it's really not that hard once you get started.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, if you can go the DIY route, you can get what you need to make an under quilt from wal-mart...

light weight fabric from the $1.00 bin. it doesn't have to be rip stop. they almost always have fabrics there that were originally used as suit liners & such. works great.

quilt batting... a sheet of batting sized for a twin bed would give you enough for a single layer.
    a double bed size would probably give you enough for two layers.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I knew they weren't cheap, that's why I was looking for the cheapest option. I set up my HH UL Backpacker in the basement where the temp is about 63 and my back after a while was noticibly colder than the rest of me. I didn't want to drop the money on it (because I don't have it really) but I think I'm going with the nest from Jacks R Better. I really really really didn't want to have to drop the money on it, but I probalby will because it seems to work better than something I could make and is renowned for quality.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I had a nest for a while and it did great. I eventually sold it and bought a Speer Snugfit however and am now very happy with it. No more worries about the down sinking to the bottom leaving the sides without insulation. The Speer is about $140.00 more than the Nest, but if you plan to use it for years, I think I would definitely consider it a very good investment.
    Another way is to buy a $125.00 rectangular bag from Campmor and make it easily into a quilt. It will have much more loft than the JRB but will weigh about 2 pounds, which is also the weight of the Speer Snugfit, but not as user friendly or compactable as either the Speer or the Nest. The $125 bag I used was only 550 fill down and the material is heavier too.
    Want to be content with your quilt? Buy the Snugfit IMHO. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Just to confuse you even more, I'd go with the No Sniveler over the Nest. I have both and the hole in the NS makes it really easy to wear as a serape ala Clint Eastwood. Although the Nest can be worn as well. The slit in the Nest is overrated for use in the Hennessy IMO as well as others. Much easier to just push the underquilt aside when entering/exiting.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

how easy is it to attach the no sniveler to the hammock vs the nest? Also, how much of a problem is it really that the down shifts to the middle and leaves you cold?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The HH SuperShelter is probably the cheapest non-pad solution...it's technically an open-cell pad, but it's not a 'pad' like other hammock insulation setups. Read up on reviews at BGT, here and whiteblaze before you buy - some folks are very happy with it, others think the "four-season" aspect is oversold.

Also check out the KAQ Potomac. Blackbishop351 is still making them as far as I know. It's less expensive than the down underquilts.
    BlackBishop is not currently making the KAQ as of a few weeks ago, though he may go back into production later.

I have been pretty happy with the HH SuperShelter, especially as I gained experience with it and learned a few tricks to get the most out of it. They show up here and on Ebay on sale from time to time. I think there was a brand new one on sale at Backpackinglight.com just recently. Don't know if it's still available.

My 20* Speer PeaPod III is now out from under the tree and opened, so I can resume testing. It seems to work really great but would probably be way more than you want to spend unless you get one of the less expensive models on sale. But it does have the advantage of at least partially also providing a top layer, so it functions somewhat as sleeping bag as well as quilt. Oh well, it won't work with a Hennessy anyway unless you cut the net off, if even then.

Do you have a spare cheap bag that you can convert to an underquilt?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    how easy is it to attach the no sniveler to the hammock vs the nest? Also, how much of a problem is it really that the down shifts to the middle and leaves you cold?
    They attach the same way with the supplied suspension sysytem.
    Down shifted to the middle (by you) can be a good thing.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...g%20Tricks.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast