ENO single--sofar
    Tarp
    JBR 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    1/2 inch foam pad
    Suspension
    ENO Slap Strap
    Images
    Wallyworld has, at least in my neck of the woods, a 90" long by 40" wide sleeping bag called the SleepCell. Center zipper design, rated down to 30 degrees according to the package, It has zippers down the side to help it vent in warmer weather. I wouldn't risk it below 40 degrees. I picked on up to adapt as an underquilt for my ENO Singlenest. If I cann't make it work then at least I know, from this last weekend's Boy Scout outting that I can stuff my regular size 30 degree mummy bag into in and increase the rating for cold weather camps with the Troop. Looks like I may stay a ground hugger for a while longer when it comes to cold weather camping.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Neo, I am fairly certain it would get me into the single digits but I would have to add a closed cell foam pad to the Speer underquilt. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    It seems that everyone is experimenting with cold weather gear, must be winter. Just Jeff posted something a while back about making an underquilt, and at the same time there was a post about hammock socks. Laying in the hammock every nite gets the "what if I tried this" thoughts racing and I wondered if the two could be combined. I have been playing with it for the last month and am in the porcess of version 3, which is going to be the same as version two only out of lightweight material.

Version 2 is set up like this:
    1) The bottom of the sock has the excess material cut away and a tuck cut in the middle so it has a three inch gap between the hammock and the sock and hangs great.

2) I sewed bug netting to the bottom piece of the sock and for entry it has a zipper along one edge. The ridge line on the hammock holds the top of the netting the same as a HH hammock.

3) I have a MEC Raven wide down sleeping bag http://www.mec.ca that is rated to -7 C that I string the hammock through. I didn't have to do any cutting in the initial trial, just unzipped the lower zipper about a foot and slipped the hammock through it. The top zipper is done up to about a foot from the top.

I then rolled the bag so the zipper is on the bottom and the foot box sits on the top. To get in I pull the bag to the foot of the hammock, sit on edge and swing feet in, do up bug screen zipper lay down and pull bag up. There is not any compression to the bag at all and it hugs the hammcok full length. As it is a wide bag and not a mummy there is enough room to get somewhat asym in the hammock, and with a bit of modification to the bag could get full asym.

Had it out in -2C weather and when I pulled the bag up, instant toasty. I am now a down believer. I have it set up in the house and will take some pics and post in the gallery later tonite.

The combination of a sock with the hammock free floating inside it and bag over the hammock is fairly easy to do and am waiting for colder weather to give it another try.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    It seems that everyone is experimenting with cold weather gear, must be winter. Just Jeff posted something a while back about making an underquilt, and at the same time there was a post about hammock socks. Laying in the hammock every nite gets the "what if I tried this" thoughts racing and I wondered if the two could be combined. I have been playing with it for the last month and am in the porcess of version 3, which is going to be the same as version two only out of lightweight material.

Version 2 is set up like this:
    1) The bottom of the sock has the excess material cut away and a tuck cut in the middle so it has a three inch gap between the hammock and the sock and hangs great.

2) I sewed bug netting to the bottom piece of the sock and for entry it has a zipper along one edge. The ridge line on the hammock holds the top of the netting the same as a HH hammock.

3) I have a MEC Raven wide down sleeping bag http://www.mec.ca that is rated to -7 C that I string the hammock through. I didn't have to do any cutting in the initial trial, just unzipped the lower zipper about a foot and slipped the hammock through it. The top zipper is done up to about a foot from the top.

I then rolled the bag so the zipper is on the bottom and the foot box sits on the top. To get in I pull the bag to the foot of the hammock, sit on edge and swing feet in, do up bug screen zipper lay down and pull bag up. There is not any compression to the bag at all and it hugs the hammcok full length. As it is a wide bag and not a mummy there is enough room to get somewhat asym in the hammock, and with a bit of modification to the bag could get full asym.

Had it out in -2C weather and when I pulled the bag up, instant toasty. I am now a down believer. I have it set up in the house and will take some pics and post in the gallery later tonite.

The combination of a sock with the hammock free floating inside it and bag over the hammock is fairly easy to do and am waiting for colder weather to give it another try.
    i dont experiment i just do it neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i dont experiment i just do it neo
    And on that note...... Was -5C --23F last nite..... poly long sleeve top and long johns....merino wool socks........Toasty all nite. Would have been warmer if I had put up a tarp and pulled it in tight.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    And on that note...... Was -5C --23F last nite..... poly long sleeve top and long johns....merino wool socks........Toasty all nite. Would have been warmer if I had put up a tarp and pulled it in tight.
    I hear you, Green Therapy. It's not hard to cold camp with a hammock in my opinion. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

ok so stupid ????? here goes if i convert my bag over to an nderquilt how do i get in my hammock i have hh

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use shockcord to attach it. Then you can just push it out of the way and it'll pop back into place once you're inside.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123