HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies

6 day Big South Fork trip, tips and help needed

I'm working on planning a trip to Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area in the latter part of March. It will be 6 days, 5 nights. I've never done a trip of this length, and was looking for some tips. I picked up the Trails Illustrated map from REI, and I've ordered this book from Amazon, which should be here this week. http://www.amazon.com/100-Trails-Big.../dp/0898866383 My plan is to head North from the park headquarters on the John Muir Trail, all the way up to the John Muir Overlook, then head South to Gobblers Knob, Twin Arches, Charit Creek Lodge, Bandy Creek, and then back to the HQ. The trip may end up taking less than 6 days, but there are a lot of side trails and sights to see. Also anyone familiar with the area, please feel free to give me your input as well. This is my gear list for now:

Golite Jam
    Platypus Big Zip SL 3.0
    2 - 1L Smart Water bottles
    Alps Mountaineering 20* Synthetic bag
    Stoic LTWT full length inflatable pad R-2.9
    3/4 length CCF pad(used as frame for pack, and sit pad, and additional bottom insulation
    Golite poncho/tarp
    First Aid Kit that I've added some things to
    Headlamp with extra battery
    Compass/Map/Trailbook
    HH Hammock and Hex Tarp with all lines and stakes needed
    Extra cordage and an extra set of tree huggers
    Firesteel, lighter, matches, dryer lint
    Camp Soap, TP, toothpaste, toothbrush
    Grease Pot, Heine stove, spoon, pot lifter, pot stand, windscreen, 16oz fuel
    Katadyn Hiker filter
    REI Peak UL Trekking Poles
    Clothing is TBD closer to the date of the hike
    Food will probably consist of prepackaged freeze dried/dehydrated foods

My thoughts are to open and repackage the meals into halves in freezer bags, and make a reflectix cozy for them to save on some bulk and weight. I am going to shoot for having a UQ/TQ by the time I go to replace the inflatable pad and sleeping bag. They'll be smaller and lighter than the bag/pad combo. Any ideas on gear changes, tips, or especially ideas about food are all VERY welcome. Oh, I forgot to mention, I'll have 1-2 other people with me as well.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah I'm going next weekend to Long Hunter State Park for a day, but taking all my gear to make sure everything is good, then the following weekend doing a Fri-Sun at Montgomery Bell State Park. Should be good shakedown runs to test some things out.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd consider taking a Nalgene bottle for use as a hot water bottle at night if the temps are low. It can stand boiling water. Wrap it in a t-shirt or stuff it in a sock and put it in your sleeping bag. You'll be toasty.

Hot drinks are great in the winter. Of course coffee, but tea, and even Jello (it can be mixed and drunk hot), hot chocolate, Carnation Instant Breakfast (also can be done hot).

Consider (maybe you already are) sharing gear, such as water filter. No need for everyone to carry the duplicate gear, if you can share easily.

Have fun! BSF is a great place. My family has been to Charit Creek Lodge several times around Christmas to New Year's (but not this year).

Rain Man
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'd consider taking a Nalgene bottle for use as a hot water bottle at night if the temps are low. It can stand boiling water. Wrap it in a t-shirt or stuff it in a sock and put it in your sleeping bag. You'll be toasty.

Hot drinks are great in the winter. Of course coffee, but tea, and even Jello (it can be mixed and drunk hot), hot chocolate, Carnation Instant Breakfast (also can be done hot).

Consider (maybe you already are) sharing gear, such as water filter. No need for everyone to carry the duplicate gear, if you can share easily.

Have fun! BSF is a great place. My family has been to Charit Creek Lodge several times around Christmas to New Year's (but not this year).

Rain Man
    Thought about the Nalgene for Montgomery Bell, but not too worried about it for BSF. I hope by the end of March we'll be out of weather below the 20's. I slept comfortable at 26* with this same insulation. I always take chamomile tea with me, and lemon and honey packets from Chik-Fil-A. I'll be carrying the only water filter, but we'll all have stoves just because they're so light, and then we can eat at the same time. Not really anything else we can spread load on that I can think of. I also forgot I'll have trail snacks and my digital camera with extra battery as well. I'm trying to go as light as possible without giving up much comfort. Speaking to this, how is the terrain there? I'm thinking about doing it in trail runners instead of boots. I don't plan on being in a rush to get through the trail, I'm guessing about 12ish miles a day.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I have a three part video series from the Big South Fork in late Fall.

You can look at my Youtube channel and look under the Big South Fork titles

http://www.youtube.com/user/TRBEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition ASM
    Tarp
    Expedition ASM
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    See if you can make it around to Yahoo Falls - its a great area.

I'm planning on a long weekend around that are this spring...introducing a friend to overnighting before we head to the AT.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    I have a three part video series from the Big South Fork in late Fall.

You can look at my Youtube channel and look under the Big South Fork titles

http://www.youtube.com/user/TRBEAS
    That was great thanks. Did you run into any other nasty water, or just that first night? What did you use to filter it? I've used my Katadyn on some pretty funky stuff and it has never looked like that from what I recall. I did notice you said you twisted your ankle a couple of times. Any idea why, and is that a common thing for you?
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by RWillieK View Post
    See if you can make it around to Yahoo Falls - its a great area.

I'm planning on a long weekend around that are this spring...introducing a friend to overnighting before we head to the AT.
    Where is Yahoo Falls located? I see Laurel Falls and Angel Falls, but can't locate Yahoo.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maude's Crack is an interesting place to visit as well as Pach Corn Creek and Station Camp Creek areas near the Big South Fork River. Angel Falls is another area to visit and cool place to camp. Great Places at all three of those spots in fact. Also consider a wood burning stove so that you would not have to carry so much weight in fuel. There is plenty of wood laying around to have a few meals a day. Oh yeah Slave Falls is another spot to go visit while in the Twin Arches area.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yahoo Falls is in KY

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast