Hammock
    Blue Mammoth Ultra
    Tarp
    Blue Mammoth Cave
    Insulation
    Mammoth Belly
    Suspension
    Mammoth Straps
    What an awesome trip! Thanks a ton to everyone posting trip reports. This helps us hammock newbies immensley to be able to see what everyone is using and hear your reviews. Especially in such incredibly cold temps. You are all amazing.

Did anyone else try any VBLs? Very curious about that system...
    Roll the bones_00

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great report ... thank you ..
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    AAAARRRGG! D**n D**n D**n! I so wanted to go, but worked Friday till midnight & had to be back by 0700 Monday, no way I could go that far & still have time to do anything but turn around & drive home.

Looks like I was right in wanting to go, glad only one body needed to be carried out, acceptable losses & all.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'm holed up in a Best Western in Delaware, OH, in a heavy snowstorm. I'll get a video posted after I get home in a couple of days.

I'm off to take a walk in the snow!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    What a Great time

First I want to thank Beep, Fourdog and Firekeeper for getting this started and doing such a great job of preparing.

The trip reports so far have been great. I cannot add much to them, as far as weather but here is my tale.

Mac and I arrived at Stairguy's place about 7pm, after a 500+ mile, 12 hour drive, from Michigan. We ate at a pizza place and went back to get some rest.
    (Thanks so Much Stairguy for inviting us into your home. It really made me feel welcome.)
    Friday AM, 100 mile drive to Tobie's for breakfast and meetup then about an hour more to the parking site. We were at the camp area early afternoon time.

Everyone searched for the perfect spot in our "hammock village".

My setup: for sleeping
    My DIY Jerry5 hammock, with velcro added on edges,
    to match 2 nested Speer Snugfit underquilts
    1 20 degree down sleeping bag and 1 zero degree down sleeping bag, both used as quilts, with footboxes nested.
    Down hat, neck gator, balaclava, wool military scarf, down booties, (not used, to warm) I used a "breathing tube" Sat night, to pre warm air and reduce frost buildup. All clothing as noted below was worn for sleeping also.
    I was very comfortable at -15 and could have gone much lower

Worn:
    Leather Vasque hiking boots, liner sox, 1 pair wool sox, gortex gaitors, snowshoes, while hiking in, and for about an hour, in camp

Liner gloves, wristies, wool mittens, all inside leather chopper mittens
    Wool beanie type hat, all but liner gloves removed for sleeping

In camp, liner sox, vapor barrier Cabella's neoprene sox, removed neoprene and replaced with one pair heavy wool sox for sleeping.
    Baffin Impact snowmobile boots, obviously, removed for sleeping
    Duofold mid weight, wool and poly blend long underwear bottom
    Merino wool boxers 150 weight
    Duofold mid weight, wool and poly blend long underwear top
    Merino wool 200 weight pullover sweater
    Suspenders
    Military wool whipcord pants
    Woolrich Heavy wool shirt
    North Face 300 wt fleece jacket
    Breathable wind shell, Only worn occasionally, removed for sleeping

This clothing list seems light, but with only moderate activity I was never cold or chilled during the day

Military Fishtail Parka with one liner for evening in camp, and as an overcover on the foot end of the hammock when sleeping

Tarp was an EOS Spintex deluxe, rigged as a diamond and not burried in the snow, downwind end was full open Sat night.
    A large "hammock sock" from tyvek, was used to transport all of the sleep system uncompressed in the bottom of the sled, but was not used over the hammock at all, just pushed back into the door opening on the end.

If the wind had blown I would have used the parka more and added heavier outer pants also.

On the way back to Stairguy's we toured Four Dog Stoves http://www.fourdog.com/ There are really some great products here, I have to save a bit for more gear now

We left Stairguy's Monday about 6:30 am. Mac and I made an interesting stop on the way home at a black powder rifle shop, http://www.longrifles-pr.com/, he will post video, I am sure, we added about 2 hours to our return trip to MI and arrived after 9pm. Mac left about 8am Tuesday and has quite a drive home as the weather is closing in on his route.

I just completed hanging up gear to dry, and posted some pics,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5684438...7625675151701/

I have a bunch of video, but will need more time to edit it.

I really had a great time and hope everyone who attended did also.
    I sure hope we can do it again.

a couple of minutes before posting this, Mac is Snowbound in Ohio

TZ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TZBrown; 01-11-2011 at 13:19. Reason: Mac snowbound?
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Too me, a sack of any kind, whether VB or fleece bag liner, inside another bag/quilt, always sounds very claustrophobic. This coming from a guy who closes Pea Pods down to a small vent- or rarely even closing it all the way- with no comfort problems! I think I would have abandoned the VB also.

I have always wanted to try the Warmlite VB clothing with "fuzzy stuff" liner. A shirt with full sleeves, for example.
    Wisenber has been experimenting with the tops with what seems to me like really good results. I may have to finally break down and try them.

Sounds like your Mylar under blanket worked as planned, functioning as a VB. Sounds like you didn't have much trouble with the top condensation if you left the zip open. But there was probably some that would have started showing an effect after a few more days. What I wonder is was there any condensation inside the bag, even if not enough to effect loft so far?
    I can vouch for the Warmlite VB clothing. I used a VB shirt, pants and socks along with a Winter UQ by Leigh and a JRB No Sniveler along with down pants, a fleece top and an UL Rab PL anorak. I made it through Friday night lows in the teens with no issue. Sunday it was somewhere below minus 5 F and while I was cold, it was "survivably" cold. That would be over 30 degrees below the stated rating of the 3 season No Sniveler. To top it off, no moisture in my down and no frost.

On my hike out, temps remained well below zero. With the VB shirt, I was able to wear the NS under my raingear without worrying about it getting wet with perspiration.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

I have always wanted to try the Warmlite VB clothing with "fuzzy stuff" liner. A shirt with full sleeves, for example.
    Wisenber has been experimenting with the tops with what seems to me like really good results. I may have to finally break down and try them.

Sounds like your Mylar under blanket worked as planned, functioning as a VB. Sounds like you didn't have much trouble with the top condensation if you left the zip open. But there was probably some that would have started showing an effect after a few more days. What I wonder is was there any condensation inside the bag, even if not enough to effect loft so far?
    I did the Stephenson Warmlite VBL shirt experiment more than 25 yrs (when they had the nudist catalog)ago:FAILED. The shirt did retain warmth, but because it was a shirt and a base layer (tried alone:yuk, with polypro underwear:OK, and with fishnet underwear:OK) it was inconvenient to take on/off as conditions dictated, and too much sweat from overheating resulted. This defies the benefit of a VBL. Also, with their second generation shirt with aluminized fabric, it started coming off and made a mess. And, the seam sealing didn't hold up due to movement.

The VBL sleeping bag "sock" liner worked well once I sewed arms on it. The mylar sheet is a vapor barrier, but I don't consider it on the same par as a VBL, since it doesn't created a close body micro climate. It only deflects vapor from infiltrating the UQ, and it did work well in that regard.

How much benefit it provided will be determined tonight when I re-weigh the bag after 36 hours of drying time. No mater how you manage the vapor/moisture problem, some will invariably get in, and degrade the insulation. At some point you will have to dry out.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Whooohoo !!!!

Great reading, thanx guys !

Very inspiring, i will study this more and i may steal some ideas

I guess we are next then ?

S.K.A.H.O 2K11 - Winter Edition Jan 28 - Jan 31.

I might be hard for us to beat your -15F / -26C.
    I can only hope ours turns out as great as yours !

It looked like you guys had a really good time !

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by moski; 01-11-2011 at 15:17.
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images
    Wow! Fantastic reading guys! Almost makes me want to try some true winter hammock camping, too. Almost. Loved all of the pictures!
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Just awesome, thanks for sharing. This is a whole 'nother level beyond what we typically do out here in the Southwest. I'm hoping to do a hang or two down in the teens or lower this winter. Lots of great ideas here to ponder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast