Thread: How to Hang?

How to Hang?

What quick and easy systems have you come up with for securing your hammock? I was thinking of tying a 'biner to each end of my HH and whipping the tail to make it permanent and cutting off the excess. Then get some 10' webbing with loops on the end and just wrap that on the trees to suit and clip the hammock on.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I am using 12 feet of webbing with a loop on one end only, then making a short cinch buckle strap with a loop on one end and the cinch buckle on the other, then wrap the 12 foot of webbing around the tree, through the loop and on back to the hammock with the cinch buckle. The loop in the cinch buckle could have the rope of the HH tied through it in a fugure of 8 or 9. I don't have an HH any longer but I do have a few home made ones that I have rigged this way. Works good for me. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    this is what i like using... http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html
    and you'll find several other options on jeff's site under "home made gear".
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

what I am currently using is a single descender ring with 15 ft. of 1 inch polyester strap from Strapworks per end of hammock - the straps are plain, no loops, no 'biners

to tie the strap to the tree I use a round turn and two half hitches with the second hitch slipped (approx. BOK #1720, 1784)

to tie the strap to the ring I use a cinch knot (BOK #234)

to tie the ring to the line from the hammock I use a cow hitch (aka lark's head aka Lead Line or Strap Hitch) tied in the bight (BOK #1860) - this works well also for Trek Light and related hammocks - no need to untie the line from the hammock to change the supplied hook out for the ring

The cow hitch is tied first and then the cinch knot. The cinch knot is where the adjustments are made - to adjust grab both parts of the strap and push toward the ring to loosen (it loosens easy this way with the polyester straps) then push through the side of the strap that is to be shortened then pull the other part to tighten the knot again. I have never had the cinch knot slip on me so no need for any additional hitches.
    Last edited by jlb2012; 12-26-2007 at 10:47.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I started with an HH hammock, but got tired of tying that hitch over and over. I pretty much always set up, sit in, then re-tighten. I also didn't like how it was wearing the webbing. I liked the simplicity of the Speer system, but didn't want wet straps stored with my hammock.

When I moved to a homemade hammock, I made an aluminum buckle/cleat that attached to the tree-huggers and let a line be hitched on quickly. I haven't abandoned the idea, but on my first trip, I had problems with what I thought were very smooth edges cutting through my support lines. Moving to fatter lines solved that problem, but I started looking for a more robust long-term system.

Just yesterday, I finally tried the ring buckle set-up described above. Two rings are attached to each end of the hammock with line, then webbing runs from the tree through them like a buckle. Very easy to adjust both ways and to undo. So far, this seems like a final solution.

For the webbing around the tree, I don't like to run the free end through a sewn loop because I think it stresses the loop too much. I previously used an SMC ring and am now trying a light biner. I liked the ring very much and like the biner so far. It's nice to be able to just clip it on rather than having to run the webbing all the way through.

Your idea solves the problem of storing wet straps and also allows your hammock to be secured to a variety of things simply. I'll be curious to see how adjustable it is. Can you set up tight then re-tighten pretty quickly and easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Your idea solves the problem of storing wet straps and also allows your hammock to be secured to a variety of things simply. I'll be curious to see how adjustable it is. Can you set up tight then re-tighten pretty quickly and easily?
    not sure who the question is addressed to but if you are referring to the setup I use then the answer is yes with the note that either the cinch buckle or the ring buckle can be tightened faster than the cinch knot on a ring that I use - I would guess it would take maybe 15 seconds to adjust (tighten) the cinch knot vs maybe 5 seconds for the ring buckles or 2 seconds for the cinch buckle

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    this is what i like using... http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html
    and you'll find several other options on jeff's site under "home made gear".
    Yea, I use that. Good, fast set up, easy to adjust if you need to take out some slack.

BTW: I first used 3/4" tubular webbing, I couldn't get it to hold, too narrow & thick. I have used 3/4" flat webbing to good success, now use 1.5" flat webbing just cause it do less damage to the trees, esp those with soft bark.

Your method should work tho.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Four wrap knot. (WOW! Even typing it is easier!)
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts