Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Going to Ground with an Underquilt

So, in trying to plan for all eventualities, I'm trying to put together a game plan for what to do if I have to go to ground unexpectedly. I use a full length underquilt, a SnugFit, so I don't carry any type of pad. What I do have is a Tyvek ground sheet.

My current game plan is to use the tarp with trekking pole for weather protection, the Tyvek ground sheet as, well, a ground sheet, and my Warbonnet Blackbird as a mosquito net, also tied to the trekking poles. What's missing in the equation is any sort of ground insultation. The UQ and TQ can be used for warmth above me, but I would have nothing for under me.

I thought about piling leaves, pine needles, etc. under the ground sheet for some form of insulation. I could sleep on top of any non-down clothing I'm carrying.

Any thoughts?

~Dan

Images
    You mention using the hammock on the ground for mosquito's. Are you going to ground do to wind rain or snow?
    You might not need anything under you if bugs are out.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-10-2011 at 21:42.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    I've used poles to hold tarp (w & w/o doors) with my WBBB on a long thermorest. Worked fine, but hanging is better. I was way above treeline at the Boulderfield on the way to Long's Peak in Colorado. Second trip up Long's. Wind picked up mid-night and the spinnul was a bit noisy. Enter earplugs. Problem solved. Had the UQ & TQ, plus a pretty decent (25degree) sleeping bag. Was prepared for anything. Also in tundra brush above St. Mary's glacier off highway 70. Don't even think of down UQ protecting under you if going to ground. Always have a back-up plan if solo-ing

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you think you need to go to ground, why not carry a 3/4 CCF pad with you? You can use it as a sit pad around camp, they weigh hardly anything, can be strapped outside your pack, and you can get one at Wal-Mart for $10. To supplement the 3/4 length, you can use your pack under your legs.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I'd probably look to use leaves or pine needles to make as good a bed as you could. I brought my tent out one time this past September and out of curiosity tried my JRB Hudson River and 3 season Yeti combined as top quilts. Only difference was that I actually used two CCF pads for ground insulation and the results were miserable. I absolutely froze! Low temp was around 35F. Worst night sleep I have had ever! Top quilts don't work as good as sleeping bags on the ground from my experience but it's better than nothing.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    <ahem> If there are leaves and/or pine straw, would there not also be....?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You mention using the hammock on the ground for mosquito's. Are you going to ground do to wind rain or snow?
    You might not need anything under you if bugs are out.
    Good point - warm enough for bugs, warm enough not to worry too much about ground insulation. Putting that aside, I like having one more barrier between me and everything else when I'm on the ground.

The situation I'm describing would be going to ground expectedly for any reason - crazy high winds, unsuitable trees like in a forest ravashed by plague or tree killing bugs, etc. I suppose you could keep hiking if there are not trees that are suitable, but, at some point, I would think you would just have to throw in the towel and go to ground if nothing comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    If you think you need to go to ground, why not carry a 3/4 CCF pad with you?
    If I thought I might need to go to ground, I would definitely consider carrying one. The situation I'm describing here is when I had to go to ground unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Yes, very true, but, as per my comment above, I was thinking there might be times you just can't find a safe site due to tons of dead branches caused by bugs, plague, or the like.

Thanks for the comments, all!

~Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I've used poles to hold tarp (w & w/o doors) with my WBBB on a long thermorest. ... Always have a back-up plan if solo-ing
    Yeah, for that reason alone, I think I would take a pad for the 'just in case' factor if i was going on a really long trek.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    ... Only difference was that I actually used two CCF pads for ground insulation and the results were miserable. I absolutely froze! Low temp was around 35F. Worst night sleep I have had ever! Top quilts don't work as good as sleeping bags on the ground from my experience but it's better than nothing.
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Seems like a lot of the UL ground sleepers use that setup, so it's surprising to hear how poorly it worked out for you. I think some of their quilts have a bottom, but with zero insulation. Seem like that would work best for sealing you in while keeping the down where it works best.

~Dan

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I think i just peed my pants.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL &amp; 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Rings
    If you think there is a remote possibility that you may have to go to ground, take a pad. My choice is the Thermarest Neo Air, maximum padding for minimum weight penalty as well as some thermal protection. It does come at a price.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast