Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I lived it this past fall on a training hike..complete hammock failure. Luckily landed on soft no rock no root ground--big thud.
    Landed right beside my backpack.
    Reached in and pulled out a torso length pad (1/4 inch).
    Still had the tarp above and the TQ.
    Had another pad too.
    Went back to sleep.

Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You mention using the hammock on the ground for mosquito's. Are you going to ground do to wind rain or snow?
    You might not need anything under you if bugs are out.
    Good point - warm enough for bugs, warm enough not to worry too much about ground insulation. Putting that aside, I like having one more barrier between me and everything else when I'm on the ground.

The situation I'm describing would be going to ground expectedly for any reason - crazy high winds, unsuitable trees like in a forest ravashed by plague or tree killing bugs, etc. I suppose you could keep hiking if there are not trees that are suitable, but, at some point, I would think you would just have to throw in the towel and go to ground if nothing comes up.
    In crazy wind I would forget putting up the tarp.
    Way to hard to setup esp. if you are super tired from a long hike.
    Just stakeout the wbbb as a bivy.
    An emergency CCF would not have to be very big. 1/8 to 1/4" thick,
    Custom cut, Butt to shoulders for length.
    If you sleep on your side the CCF could be quite narrow say 24"
    If you sleep on your back 30-32"

IF you find yourself in widow makers and can't find a clear area. Bivi at the base of a tree. Again no tarp.

HIGH winds and rain. Bivi in the wbbb and roll up in the tarp like a burrito.

HIGH winds with/without rain, pine beetle kill (widow makers) Make coffee, eat candy bars get the heck out of there, lol

Add Lightning to this mix will change all the above...

Tons of situations. Everyone will require a little different setup. Keep your options open take a little extra.

As a mtn biker I see so many weight weenies walking there bikes out of the mtns because they won't carry a tire patchkit and pump...

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-11-2011 at 08:02.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks again, all! Lots of good ideas.

~Dan

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    If you think there is a remote possibility that you may have to go to ground, take a pad. My choice is the Thermarest Neo Air, maximum padding for minimum weight penalty as well as some thermal protection. It does come at a price.
    This will be my backup plan when moto camping. Quite amazing how small and light even the large pad is.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    When I know I'm gonna have to go to ground, I carry an Exped 7 short. It's a bit of a weight penality but at least I know I'll be able to walk the next morning. So far (knock on wood) I've been pretty lucky in my hikes/backpacking trips and I've packed more or less correctly, for the situations.

TinaLouise

Images
    I always hate the weight, but I have never so far packed without at least a WM blue torso length ccf pad. And my main reason is not worry about insulation, though that is significant. It is padding.

If I had to sleep on the hard ground ( or a shelter floor ) even on a warm trip, I would be miserable. If possible I would probably hike out first before I did that. And considering equip failure, weather beyond the UQ and tarps ability(too small tarp to block wind under hammock), above timberline, or rules and regs, who could say that it might even be more than one night on a longer trip? But some folks are tougher than me, so that would be an individual call. I might have been willing to suffer through it on a rare occasion when very young. Not now, not if I have a choice like escape.

Now consider dual use: sit pad around the camp fire. Fan for getting campfire going, maybe even a wind screen. Leg pad for weight saving torso UQ! Additional insulation in the hammock for unexpectedly cold, windy or wet conditions which might keep you from having to go to ground in the first place.

Will I not carry a pad? Fagetaboutit! Not unless I have the option to just go home if every thing goes wrong. But of course that is just wimpy me, for whom at least a minimal amount of comfort is required for any voluntary sleeping in the woods.

Walmart CCF pad so at least you have something, and you can sit on it during the day.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

want to go to the ground?

I have never have an unplanned night on the ground. The Jack's report hundreds of nights in a hammock without every having been forced to the ground.

Some time you may want to go to the ground. You might have your hammock tucked into a sheltered spot away from the beach, but want to sleep cowboy down on the beach.

Bugs are not active below 50 degrees. When you need bug protection you do not need much insulation under you.

I always carry a ccf pad for a sit pad, and a 3/4 length is great to lean up against a log.

What I do is carry a shorty NeoAir (8.7 oz.) when I think I might want to sleep cowboy.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus comes with a sit pad that is used for its back padding, so my sit pad was already covered. I think I'll throw in a small or medium NeoAir for GTG (go to ground) emergencies and supplement with the sit pad.

Thanks all.

~Dan

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I don't know if it would work or not, but maybe an emergency space blanket would do the trick for bottom insulation. . . I'm thinking ground cloth/space blanket/UQ/you/TQ. My understanding is that the space blanket works best when it's not directly in contact with you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast