Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It could easily hold a tarp...but anything in the pocket bounces against my thigh so I don't really use it. I'll put something in there if I'll use it in the next hour or so. Other than that, it just bugs me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Tarp goes in one of the front balance pockets on my AARN backpack. In the rain, reach in through the front of my Packa and pull the tarp out. Set it up and everything else goes underneath it. Works very well in rain. Love my Packa and AARN backpack.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    My Packa does not keep me dry nor the outside of my pack dry, it does keep the wind off and aids in keeping me warm.

Doesn't keep you or the outside of your pack dry? hmmm... Why so??

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    My tarp is also in the front pocket of my Aarn backpack. No rain cover on my pack, it's waterproof. So I take out the tarp and set it up high enough for me to work under it. When I open my backpack, I don't want rain getting to my quilts.

TinaLouise

I live and hike in a rain forest. So I'm getting a chuckle out of this thread.

Here's what i do. I also have an Aarn pack, and a Packa. I take of the pack, remove the Packa, and put the Packa back on me. Yea i get a little rain on me for the few seconds exposed to the rain, but its not like i just went swimming. I'm already damp from sweating no mater what so a little extra rain is no big deal. If i did not have a water proof pack i would still would not get soaked in the few seconds i takes to pull the trap out and put the pack with Packa back on.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl, ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Futher mullings

I've been reading the replies and thinking more about the issue. I've currently got a superfly tarp with doors, snake skins and a CRL. I'm thinking about making a black bishop bag with drawstring openings on each end (similar to the bag the blackbird hammocks come in). This makes for a package that's a little smaller than a loaf of bread. I think the combination of the bishop bag and the snake skins should help to deploy and store the tarp quickly (even in high wind).

My next thought was where to keep the tarp stored so I can access it while leaving both the pack and the packa on. While wearing the pack it appears that I can reach under the packa to the top of my pack. I can't seem to access the sides or back of my pack well while still wearing it. So I think I may try either attaching the tarp to the top of my pack, or perhaps attach the tarp to my shoulder straps in front of me (close to where the sternum strap is). I guess this would be somewhat similar to the balance pockets on a AARN pack. I had also considered carrying the tarp in the pocket of the Packa, but (as Jeff said) I wouldn't like 2 pounds bumping my leg with each step. Plus if the tarp is wet it might get me wet since the Packa pocket (say that 10 time fast ) is mesh on the inside. These two spots for the tarp should enable me to access my tarp and hang it without ever removing either my pack or my packa. Once the tarp is hung I'll have a sheltered area to finish unpacking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12