Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

One quick question...?

What size or number Mason line did you use? It looks possibly like #36, it is difficult to guess from a picture.
    Re-reading the post, I realized you reused the original line supplied with the hammock. For a Treklight or Eno (HaaB types), what size would you say needs to be used?
    Last edited by steene; 12-27-2007 at 13:31. Reason: brain fart

the braided rope is amsteel, at least from what I can remember. I dont recall any mason line, but what do i know?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steene View Post
    What size or number Mason line did you use? It looks possibly like #36, it is difficult to guess from a picture.
    Re-reading the post, I realized you reused the original line supplied with the hammock. For a Treklight or Eno (HaaB types), what size would you say needs to be used?
    I just used Marshalton brand Mason Line at Home Depot. I did run a new line when I re-whipped the hammock because the original line was too short. I would say any small diameter cord could be used to whip a HAAB hammock. Heck, I bet para cord would suffice.

This does bring up an interesting point I ran into. The Mason line I used was different from was warrbonnetguy used. I only had a short piece of his line, 6" or so, towork with, but his line is stiffer and the braid is more dense and his cord is more rounded in it's shape. It was much closer to Speer No Tangle in it's construction than what I bought. My Mason line is a much looser braid and it is also a flatter braid and is more prone to tangling. It's also bad about sticking to Velcro or Omni Tape.

I will try and take some macro photos when I get home tonight.

Now here's the weird part; I asked warbonnetguy about his Mason line and he said that it is also Marshalton brand Mason line and he bought his at Home Depot too. He said they sell Mason line in the chain/rope section AND in the masonry tool (like trowels, jointers and concrete floats) section.

He also mentioned Stringliner brand Mason Line as a good brand available at masonry supply stores. He also said it came in dark green, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how prone you are to tripping over you guy lines.

The next time someone is a Lowes or Home Depot please take the time to check both the rope/chain section and masonry section and see if you can find different types of braided(not twisted) Mason Line. Make note of the brand and type of line it is and report back in the Mason Line Thread
    Last edited by headchange4u; 12-27-2007 at 14:48.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    the braided rope is amsteel, at least from what I can remember. I dont recall any mason line, but what do i know?
    The Mason Line is the bright yellow line used in the whipping.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I feel left out ; the line on the whipping of my WE is green.
    Trust nobody!

ah, wow, I didnt catch that.

Images
    it's #18 braided, all it does is cinch the end into a bundle, it is not structural at all, and thinner could be used if you could find it. after i cinch the ends, i cut off the excess, leaving just a few inches of it actually in the finished whipping, but you will need at least 4-5 feet to thread through the hem and tie the knot with and such before you cut off the excess.

this is an easy mod to an eno style hammock if you are worried about their factory method loading the hem seam

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hey headchange4u, I used the 'fishing' method and put an internal RL on the Warbonnet. Super easy to do; thanks for doing the work for us on experimenting.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Hey headchange4u, I used the 'fishing' method and put an internal RL on the Warbonnet. Super easy to do; thanks for doing the work for us on experimenting.
    No problem. I'm glad it worked out for you. I think you will like the internal ridge line a lot better. I'm getting ready to add a RL to my Ticket To The Moon hammock using the WW.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    so, it's just a stopper knot that keeps the rl from pulling through? won't enough force on it just pull it all the way through?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast